Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old January 11, 2010, 06:07 PM
Zee Zee is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2
Default i5 gaming build

Hey folks,

I recently stumbled upon hardware canucks from their youtube reviews and found them incredibly helpful with some of the towers I had been previous looking at. Now, I'm somewhat new to the building-pc game and I'm piecing together my first build. I'd like to get your opinions and see if there's anything I could possibly do better or find somewhat cheaper hardware that preforms just as well, etc etc. Anything would be appreciated.

Also, this rig will be mainly for gaming and will see a lot of travel to lans and such. Just a heads up.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/914/build2.png


Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old January 11, 2010, 06:18 PM
Finch's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Hey folks,

I recently stumbled upon hardware canucks from their youtube reviews and found them incredibly helpful with some of the towers I had been previous looking at. Now, I'm somewhat new to the building-pc game and I'm piecing together my first build. I'd like to get your opinions and see if there's anything I could possibly do better or find somewhat cheaper hardware that preforms just as well, etc etc. Anything would be appreciated.

Also, this rig will be mainly for gaming and will see a lot of travel to lans and such. Just a heads up.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/914/build2.png


Thanks!
Hi and welcome Zee

could you please read this before and then post back with you're inputs. it will help us alot
__________________
If you are an overclocker please come and participate to the HWC Benchmarks Competitions, look for the stickies.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old January 11, 2010, 06:41 PM
Zee Zee is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2
Default

Sorry mate, tend to get post happy and forget each forum as their own rules!

1. This build will be used for gaming. I'd much like to run today's high-end games with atleast an FPS of 50-60 on max settings, hopefully with only one GPU.

2. My budget is sub-$1500us; and it stands now I'm sitting on a $1255us build, but if anyone sees anything that can be bought for cheaper while still maintaining the same performance, I'm all ears!

3. I'll be purchasing my products from newegg.com unless I find the same parts for cheaper on another site. As it stands now I just finished putting together this build the other day and have yet to go looking for better deals.

4. I am completely fanboyless. Quality technology is it's own reward without having a brand name that adds 20% more fees.

5. My current PC is an old dell dimension e510 from 2006, and I don't intend on using any parts. The power supply is much too weak to handle the type of hardware I'm interested in sitting at a messily 330w, I want to upgrade from my 2gig DDR2 to 4gig DDR3 and plan on running Win7 64-bit with my new build to get the benefit of having that much ram, and the mobo is integrated out the bum. Nothing will make the switch over.

6. Haven't searched/read similar threads because I just made my way to the site mere moments ago. I'll definitely take up the search feature a little later when I've the time.

7. Overclocking.. I'm a greenhorn when it comes to that subject. My build (from my prospective, anyway) seems somewhat on the high end so I wouldn't image it's very necessary to overclock. But if I could OC my CPU from 2.66mhz to somewhere around 3mhz+, that would be awesome. I need to do some reading up on that beforehand if I intend on doing that though.

8. When do I plan to build this? Sometime within the next 2-3 months. My cache is just now teetering with the green and should have enough to purchasing the parts in time.


:]
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old January 11, 2010, 06:49 PM
jcmaz's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,455

My System Specs

Default

i5 750
Gigabyte P55 mobo
G.Skill RipJaws
Coolermaster 212+
XFX 5870
Case of your choice
WD 640GB Black
Corsair TX750 or Seasonic S12 650W PSU
Maybe a SSD for OS drive???
__________________
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

-Plato
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old January 11, 2010, 06:49 PM
Finch's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
8. When do I plan to build this? Sometime within the next 2-3 months. My cache is just now teetering with the green and should have enough to purchasing the parts in time.
sorry in advance for my answer but i would wait when you have enough cash to purschase right away because in 2-3 months some better stuff will be out for the same price. for sure you might pay less for a build planned now in 2-3months but it will be already out of date and thats not the point right?

still wait for what others have to say but thats my own opinion
__________________
If you are an overclocker please come and participate to the HWC Benchmarks Competitions, look for the stickies.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old January 12, 2010, 12:20 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
sorry in advance for my answer but i would wait when you have enough cash to purschase right away because in 2-3 months some better stuff will be out for the same price. for sure you might pay less for a build planned now in 2-3months but it will be already out of date and thats not the point right?

still wait for what others have to say but thats my own opinion
yes well i have a thoery, becuase im building a q6600 rig with an 8800gt for $280 this is after i get my money for my vostro 200. my thoery is that if you always stay on top of the gaming world just to max out graphics you should be good for a year and a half to 2 years. You find the right time to sell youre mahcine before its value gets too low at the same time finding decent prices on newer hardware. Like i said q6600 system for $280 extra and this is a new case power supply and everything, i also bought some hardware used to get it so cheap on kijji and ebay, Either way stay between the technology and find the right time to sell and buy. The case was kinda free though, nice case though. BTW i wouldnt get an I5 just yet, but than again its the suckers like you that i can get the q6600 for so cheap and overclock the shit out of it hahaha
But seriously why are people upgrading to the new sockets i dont understand even duo core is running games full graphics and most games barely support quad core so whats the rush people? My e2140 OC with my 8800 gt and some kingston value ram is running NFS shift full graphics at 1920x1080 even if it is at 30-40 fps it still plays just as good.

Last edited by kuziwk; January 12, 2010 at 12:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old January 12, 2010, 03:21 AM
Finch's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuziwk View Post
But seriously why are people upgrading to the new sockets i dont understand even duo core is running games full graphics and most games barely support quad core so whats the rush people?
because we are enthusiasts and overclockers, we like playing with new toys
__________________
If you are an overclocker please come and participate to the HWC Benchmarks Competitions, look for the stickies.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old January 12, 2010, 08:28 AM
Raserei408's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South of the border
Posts: 495
Default

Just a question, how long do you want to be able to use this rig for gaming?
I ask, because a lot of people want to build a $1500 rig and have it last them for 4-5 years. If you're playing new games all that time, there's pretty much no chance of that happening (imagine playing games on hardware that came out in 2005). In these cases, I'd recommend getting a good base system (PSU, motherboard, etc.) and going mid-range on the real beefy stuff (CPU, GPU, etc.) then doing incremental upgrades for the lifespan of the PC. Build an $800 computer, then in a year add a $200 graphics card, another year add a CPU upgrade, etc. You'll never have that top-of-the-line setup, but you'll always have a very capable one.

Also, as far as LAN cases go, I'd recommend the Storm Scout. It's fairly compact and has strong handles for easy carrying. There's something of a consensus that it's the best LAN case for the money.

Here's the system I'd build on your budget:

Storm Scout
ASUS P7P55D
MSI 5770
Corsair 750TX
i5 750
G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB 1600MHz
Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB
Cheap DVD Burner
Hyper 212 Plus
Comes out just over $1000 + shipping and a monitor.

Bear in mind that over the next few months new stuff will come out and prices will change, so you may want to periodically update the list. What I gave is based solely on my own experience and what is currently available.
__________________
"If dancing is sure to result in failure then you must dance anyway."
Lo Mein said that, and I think he knows a little more about dancing than I do pal, because he invented it! Then he perfected it so that no man could best him in the club of honor.
Then he used his prize money to buy two of every whore on Earth. Then he herded them all onto a boat, then they all beat the crap out of every single one of him.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old January 12, 2010, 09:32 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
Just a question, how long do you want to be able to use this rig for gaming?
I ask, because a lot of people want to build a $1500 rig and have it last them for 4-5 years. If you're playing new games all that time, there's pretty much no chance of that happening (imagine playing games on hardware that came out in 2005). In these cases, I'd recommend getting a good base system (PSU, motherboard, etc.) and going mid-range on the real beefy stuff (CPU, GPU, etc.) then doing incremental upgrades for the lifespan of the PC. Build an $800 computer, then in a year add a $200 graphics card, another year add a CPU upgrade, etc. You'll never have that top-of-the-line setup, but you'll always have a very capable one.

Also, as far as LAN cases go, I'd recommend the Storm Scout. It's fairly compact and has strong handles for easy carrying. There's something of a consensus that it's the best LAN case for the money.

Here's the system I'd build on your budget:

Storm Scout
ASUS P7P55D
MSI 5770
Corsair 750TX
i5 750
G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB 1600MHz
Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB
Cheap DVD Burner
Hyper 212 Plus
Comes out just over $1000 + shipping and a monitor.

Bear in mind that over the next few months new stuff will come out and prices will change, so you may want to periodically update the list. What I gave is based solely on my own experience and what is currently available.

exactly, see this guy is the smart one as most of us especially still in high school dont have $1500 to spare all at once. BTW my motherboard i just bought only supports 775 socket so in a few years i would have to upgrade to i7 motherboard, by then they will be much cheaper though.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old January 12, 2010, 10:11 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 51
Default

Well I am building a new $1500 i5 system NOW and not waiting and I am not using older parts. But then again here are my excuses for doing this:

1. I am currently running an old AMD Athlon 2600+ machines (yikes) built years ago with a CPU bought off Ebay
2. I have never before spent a lot of money on a computer
3. I am an oldie (62 years) and will be retiring soon
4. I expect to keep the machine for several years
5. I run flight sims (FS9/FSX) and rarely even look at new games so this i5 will do fine for me
6. etc.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My First Gaming build.. kendallcschm New Builds 19 November 11, 2009 09:47 AM
new gaming build soapdefe New Builds 23 September 5, 2009 02:19 PM
Gaming Build shammancer New Builds 8 June 27, 2009 10:46 AM
Critique my gaming build build 1080p New Builds 10 January 14, 2009 04:18 PM
First gaming build! FantasyBlossom New Builds 31 June 29, 2008 03:01 PM