Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11, 2010, 05:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default New Build Advice Needed (mobo + hd + cpu for under $250???)

Hey guys,

Through the holidays I was able to pick up a few parts through various sales and now I want to start putting them together if possible. The main thing that I am needing is a good mobo/cpu/Harddrive combination. I am not looking to break the bank and will only be using this machine for basic web surfing and multimedia purposes. I may want to use it for light gaming such as Torchlight and WoW. This is going to be a temporary build to get me through the next 6-8 months at which point I will likely build a more robust machine.

Here is some more info based on the forum rules and requirements:

PLEASE when POST threads asking for input on system builds tell us...

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
  • Web browsing, Office Apps, Light Gaming (WoW, Torchlight, older games)

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
  • $250.00 for CPU/Mobo/Harddrive

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
  • Great White North

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
  • Not a fanboy however, I have either a BFG 8500GT or BFG 9500GT to use
  • Just want the most bang for my buck...regardless of platform

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
  • HAF 922 Case
  • Sparkle Power 450W PSU
  • 4 GB PC5300 DDR2 Kingston Value RAM
  • BFG 8500GT or BFG 9500GT PCI-E GPU (will use one and sell the other)
  • 32" Samsung LCD
  • Creative Labs X-FI Audio Extreme Soundcard
  • mouse/keyboard
  • Windows 7 Ultimate (legit)

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
  • I have read several threads...my main concern is that I want to find something that will fit within my budget and be able to use my DDR2 RAM (as RAM seems to be so freaking expensive right now)

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
  • Would not mind trying to overclock if the suggested parts can fit within my budget

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
  • Within the next week

Unfortunately I didn't snatch up one of the many Boxing Day mobo/CPU bundle deals that were out there. Can you guys point me in the right direction that will help maximize my tight budget? Thanks so much for your time and I look forward to your replies.
Old January 11, 2010, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Gigabyte 785G UD3H AM3 DDR2 mobo ~$91 : http://ncix.com/products/?sku=41235&...cture=Gigabyte
Seagate 7200.12 500GB HD ~ $53: http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...e&promoid=1145
AMD 425 Tri Core ~ $95 : http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...anufacture=AMD

-Plato
Old January 11, 2010, 06:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Yeah something along those lines.

I might swap for the AMD 770 chipset though since onboard graphics aren't a must. http://ncix.com/products/?sku=35762&...cture=Gigabyte

And CPU wise, I would consider the X2 550 Black Edition, since chances are you can unlock it to a quad-core and it has L3 cache.
Old January 11, 2010, 06:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Yeah something along those lines.

I might swap for the AMD 770 chipset though since onboard graphics aren't a must. http://ncix.com/products/?sku=35762&...cture=Gigabyte

And CPU wise, I would consider the X2 550 Black Edition, since chances are you can unlock it to a quad-core and it has L3 cache.
You might not be able to unlock cores w/ the AM2+ 770 Chipset. It depends on the revision, a luck of the draw.

-Plato
Old January 11, 2010, 07:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
You might not be able to unlock cores w/ the AM2+ 770 Chipset. It depends on the revision, a luck of the draw.
True, but even without it, being a Black Edition dual-core and having L3, I think it would out-perform the X3 without L3 cache.
Old January 12, 2010, 04:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thank you for the replies...it is very appreciated. I am currently looking at the AMD 425 X3 as I have read a lot of reviews and benchmarks and it seems to be really, really cheap. I am thinking that the money that I potentially will save with the CPU can be put towards a larger hard drive.

Ah, decisions, decisions!

Thanks again.
Old January 12, 2010, 05:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

might as well go 435, just a few bucks more .

If your gonna buy online these guys have real cheap amd cpu's AMD AM3 CPUs in Canada at Memory Express

i bought my cpu(550 be 104$), motherbouard and ram from them in store but they also have an online store
Old January 12, 2010, 05:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

actually seeing how your in BC anyhow, might be cheaper to use direct canada/best direct seeing as it wont be shipped hardly anywhere