Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2010, 08:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default New i7 System

OK, so here are the specs that I am planning for my new build. I want to stay at around $1500

Intel Core i7 920 LGA1366
Asus P6T Motherboard
G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHZ 6GB Kit
HIS Radeon HD 5850
LG DVD-RW
WD Caviar Black 500GB HDD (for now)

I'm stuck between a couple of cases: Cooler Master 690, Cooler Master HAF 922, and Antec 900

I also have a BFG ES800W PSU sitting at home which I will use for this system.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old January 10, 2010, 09:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Don't get the Antec 900 coz it has the same chassis as the Antec 200 & 300. Have you looked at the Lancool series by lian li(Spelling???) I like the Lancool K58. btw, where are you buying your components from?

-Plato
Old January 10, 2010, 09:38 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'd prefer to buy from CanadaComputers, since I can go in-store and avoid shipping fees, etc. I've had a good experience with Newegg, so I won't hesitate buying from them.

Also planning to buy the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cooler.

I like the K62 as well, but personally, I'm leaning towards the CM 690.
Old January 10, 2010, 10:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

How high do you plan if at all to overclock your system? I am using the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and i absolutely love it. Unless you have ambient temps (room temps) of 25-27+ this thing is great as it runs my i7 920 C0/C1 at 3.8Ghz 1.375 Vcore at peaking 70C but with my set up i typically run it just below 60C on air. You don't want to pay shipping costs however typically it covers the entire shipment and isn't that bad. Seeing as you live in whitby (which is where i am from) i know the closest Canada Computers is in Ajax and if you're telling em you wont be spending quite a bit money on the gas driving there and back comparing it to probably 10$ shipping cost i think you're a little nuts, but thats just me.
Old January 10, 2010, 11:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Your parts are fine. I find that there's usually only $10 or so difference between the 500 and 640 Black models, it's worth the extra little bit of money for the increased speed, as well as the space.
Old January 10, 2010, 11:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think you could save a tax by buying from NCIX coz you're in Ontario. The only bad thing is that you pay shipping, but you can price match at NCIX.

-Plato
Old January 10, 2010, 11:34 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
How high do you plan if at all to overclock your system? I am using the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and i absolutely love it. Unless you have ambient temps (room temps) of 25-27+ this thing is great as it runs my i7 920 C0/C1 at 3.8Ghz 1.375 Vcore at peaking 70C but with my set up i typically run it just below 60C on air. You don't want to pay shipping costs however typically it covers the entire shipment and isn't that bad. Seeing as you live in whitby (which is where i am from) i know the closest Canada Computers is in Ajax and if you're telling em you wont be spending quite a bit money on the gas driving there and back comparing it to probably 10$ shipping cost i think you're a little nuts, but thats just me.
I plan to go for 3.7 - 4.0 on the OC. But the room gets quite hot on sunny days as the sun shines into the room all day, so I would prefer to get a higher end cooler like the Noctua. But I'll look into the 212+.

Also good point on the driving to the store, but if a component is dead, then I can go to the store and exchange in person, instead of trying to deal with RMAs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Your parts are fine. I find that there's usually only $10 or so difference between the 500 and 640 Black models, it's worth the extra little bit of money for the increased speed, as well as the space.
True, will probably end up going with the 640 then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
I think you could save a tax by buying from NCIX coz you're in Ontario. The only bad thing is that you pay shipping, but you can price match at NCIX.
Yea, I'll look into that, I might end up paying few dollars less.
Old January 10, 2010, 04:16 PM
MVP

Overall looks pretty good. For a case I'd go with the CM 690 II Advanced (or the normal version if you don't need the extra features).

The Hyper 212 Plus is hands down the best price / performance air cooler on the market, but there are some better ones; if you can afford the Noctua NH-D14 and a couple of high-speed fans that's the best cooling you can possibly get, and the Titan Fenrir is also really good if you don't have that kind of money.

Another thing you might consider is replacing the 5850 with 2 x 5770, since the prices are about the same for cheaper models, and Xfired 5770s ~ 5870.

Overall it looks like a really solid build. Happy building.
Old January 11, 2010, 07:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm leaning towards the 212+ as of now. Great performance for price.

The reason I'm going with a single 5850, is because I game on a 20", 1680x1050 screen, which is a great screen. But I hope to upgrade to a 24"+ screen, and latest video card around next Christmas.
Old January 11, 2010, 07:37 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozac26 View Post
I'm leaning towards the 212+ as of now. Great performance for price.
The reason I'm going with a single 5850, is because I game on a 20", 1680x1050 screen, which is a great screen. But I hope to upgrade to a 24"+ screen, and latest video card around next Christmas.
so why spent to much on a 5850. you have a lot of GPU that will perform very good on a 20" for half of the cost of the 5850 , get a SSD instead, what is the use to have 6gb and pay the extra for a 1366 socket, if you use it with a plain old drive.