Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2010, 03:33 AM
Rookie

Default Another new budget gaming build from another new member.

Hey guys, I've been looking at building a computer lately and have been directed here. I've read through a lot of the new budget gaming build threads and they were great help. I actually took a recent one, basically built the same thing with a couple mods and was wondering your opinion on the differences.

1.What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
-Normal computing and light gaming.
2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
-$700 for the tower give or take
3.What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
-Canada
4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
-Nope, I've been out of gaming for a while so I don't even know what's good anymore.
5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
-Have none
6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
-Lots
7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
-Nope, it scares me... basically have no idea how to do it.
8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
-Within a month

Ok I've got a build from direct canada that came to $615 before taxes which is perfect for my price range. The only thing im curious about (that I've read is a no no..) is the case I choose that has a built in 480w power supply.. BUT upon reading reviews people said that it was actually a pretty good power supply?? Take a look..

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Dual Core Processor Socket AM3 3.1GHZ 7MB Cache 80W Retail Box -- $110.24

MB: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ATX AM3 DDR3 AMD770 PCI-E16 4PCI-E1 2PCI SATA GBLAN Motherboard -- $85.05

VID: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 Vapor-X 860MHZ 1GB 1.2GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDMI DisplayPort Lite Video -- $194.40

RAM: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit -- $99.70

HD: Western Digital SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache 8.9MS 3.5IN NCQ Hard Drive OEM -- $57.46

ODD: Samsung SH-S222A/BEBE 22X Dual Layer DVD Writer Black IDE OEM -- $30.80

CASE: Logisys CS-51WBK Black ATX Tower Case 4X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5IN W/ 480W Front USB Audio -- $35.99

Does anyone see any compadibility issues with this rigs hardware? Also any suggestions for around the same price? Also does this thing need anything else tower wise to be a complete build? I mean little misc things.. fans.. cooling units?...

Thanks for all your help.
Old January 10, 2010, 06:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Overall I say it looks like a pretty solid build. I don't know about that case/power supply, so I will let someone else chime in on it, but I am betting you are better off with spending a few extra bucks and getting better power supply. Find any seasonic or corsair power supply that fits your budget and has enough power and you will be good. A decent cheap case you can consider is Cooler master RC-330.

Only other thing I will mention is because you said you don't really game anymore. If you don't plan on gaming the 5770 is complete overkill. You could easily get by with onboard graphics (785g based motherboard) if you plan on no gaming or only old games (CS:S etc). On that same token, Phenom II CPUs are known to run games better than Athlon II processors, but if you are not going to be a hardcore gamer you could trade in the L3 cache on the Phenom II 550 processor and get some extra cores on an Athlon II for the same price or cheaper (x3 425/ 435/ or X4 620/ 630).

Just some points to ponder.
Cheers
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old January 10, 2010, 06:17 AM
Banned
F@H

HI, a Case at $ 35 with PSU include is a big NO NO, those cheap PSU have no protection, they may fry everything at the first failure.
Old January 10, 2010, 06:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Don't get that case coz you'll regret it. I have it and i hate it. You have to open the dam door inorder to use your USB drives.

Instead get the NZXT Gamma/Beta EVO or Antec Two Hundred or Three Hundred. If you have more cash to blow, get the Lancool K58

Anyways, i recommend Corsair or Seasonic PSU's.

-Plato
Old January 10, 2010, 09:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Again, listen to jcmaz's recommendations for cheap towers. A PSU and case for $35 is a NO. That video card is way overkill if you're not playing games.

The 550 is a great processor, and sometimes has the ability to unlock to quad core with the right motherboards

I recommend the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ heatsink to go with it. It'll take the 550 to quad and @ 3.8ghz pretty safely.
Old January 10, 2010, 07:25 PM
Rookie

007- Thanks for the suggestion and I thought about that, to be honest I just wasn't reading and didn't realize I picked a dual core rather then a quad core.. that would explain why it was so cheap haha. I do want to be able to game in the future with upgrades.. Im into gaming just don't have the money right now and need to get a computer going because the laptop's not cutting it for anything that needs a graphics engine.

I've been looking around and on tiger direct I found this...

Buy the Biostar TA790GXE Motherboard & AMD Phenom X4 9750 at TigerDirect.ca
Biostar TA790GXE Motherboard & AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad Core Processor Bundle for $237.99
Comes with an onboard Radeon 3300 which i know is low level but could get me by for the first while until I can buy a better card.. I know this is a total newb question but you can put in something like a radeon 5770 into this setup, install some drivers and it'll work..right?

Also yeah thanks I see your point about the case/psu ... I will be splitting them up.

edit: just noticed it's not a phenom II in that link .... what's the difference?
edit edit edit edit edit....... I just noticed the MB only supports DDR2 ... I don't want.. back to the building blocks..

But on that note that got me thinking... what would be a good cheap MB to get, DDR3, that supports phenom II.. and has a built in graphics card like the radeon 3300 that could get me by for a while?

Last edited by candianrider; January 10, 2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old January 10, 2010, 07:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...cture=Gigabyte

How bout this one.

-Plato
Old January 10, 2010, 07:48 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Asus Evo's are reasonably priced and are real arse kickers for the price. Built two systems around the ATX '79XTD version (but they dont have a IGP).
Heres LL's take on the 785 version (which DOES have IGP):

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO and M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 Motherboards Review

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; January 10, 2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old January 10, 2010, 07:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Thanks but I'm looking for a MB that supports DDR3
Old January 10, 2010, 07:54 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by candianrider View Post
007- Thanks for the suggestion and I thought about that, to be honest I just But on that note that got me thinking... what would be a good cheap MB to get, DDR3, that supports phenom II.. and has a built in graphics card like the radeon 3300 that could get me by for a while?
Well, if you can afford it, your best bet would be the ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO. I'm usually against the 785Gs going in gaming rigs, and I am in this situation too, but if you NEED decent graphics and can't afford a graphics card, it's the best way to go. With it you should be able to unlock your CPU to a quad core (but as an added bonus, this one can unlock to a triple core if one is unstable). If you can't afford the board, get any AM3 socket (not AM2+, AM3 exclusive) 785G board you can afford.