Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2010, 08:02 PM
Rookie

Default New Build - Media PC, Future gaming

This will be my first build in about 15 years! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Computer will be on 24/7, Media PC for recording tv and watching videos and sharing folders with networked laptops, office work, School Work, Photo Editing, maybe some light video editing, and gaming if I have time during the summer or two years down the road..

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

$1500

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada - NCIX

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

Only a quality preference. Has to be the best.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
24 Inch Monitor and Hauppauge TV tunerCard

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
inspired by popular thread on RFD regarding building comp through NCIX.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Default speeds for now. May want to overclock if I get into gaming.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
1-2 weeks

Intel Core i7 920
$309.97

ASUS P6T SE X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 Motherboard
$206.57

G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit
$153.86

Corsair TX750W PSU
$99.79

Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB
~$100

Samsung SH-S223L/BEBS 22X SATA Black DVD Writer Lightscribe OEM
$36.3

CM 690 II Advanced Case (when available for PM with NCIX or local pickup)
~$100

Gigabyte Radeon HD 4670 1GB GDDR3 PCI-E
$79.

~1079 before taxes and shipping

I'm eyeing the Radeon HD 5850, but it will go wasted for several months if not more. Maybe best to buy a low end card for now and upgrade later. What do you guys think?

Not sure about the motherboard either. I'm wondering if i should get the Asus P6X58... USB 3 would be nice when available as I often move large video files with several usb sticks. But on the other hand, I have NO foreseeable need for Sata 6.

Will add a blu-ray player in future.

Let me know your thoughts on this setup..

Thanks
Dodger

Last edited by Dodger; January 10, 2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old January 10, 2010, 10:54 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Looks quite capable, although I see 2 areas you could save money- IDE DVDRW can be found for $20 or less, and using a slim IDE cable doesn't block near as much air as the old gray ribbon style ones. My disc drive is hardly ever used so I don't see a point to upgrading, but if you think you might use it a lot it may be worth the bit extra to go SATA.
That PSU is quite heavy duty for a 1 gpu setup. 500-600W would do fine, but if you ever want to do crossfire, may as well get the insurance now.
Lastly I'll agree to hold on the 5850, I'm conservative with upgrades. For $80, personally I'd try and get a 4850/70 for 20-40$ more.
Old January 10, 2010, 12:31 PM
MVP

I agree regarding the graphics card. If you really don't need the power yet, hold off on getting something high-end. The 5850 is still overpriced due to high demand, low supply, and lack of competition. I also agree with the above poster; 4850s can be had for around 100USD, and they're a fair bit more powerful than a 4670. If you plan to do light gaming before upgrading, go with a 4850. This comes with another advantage; a 4850 should last you until Fermi (GT300) releases, at which point you can get it (which may help you with photo and video editing (not to mention gaming) or you can get a 5850, the price for which should drop like a stone.

One more thing you may consider; since image and video editing aren't a primary concern (or it doesn't look like it at least) you might consider going with LGA1156. You can get an i7 860 for about the same price as a 920, you only need 4GB of RAM (you can get six or eight if you really want), and you can go from a low end motherboard for $200 to a high-end motherboard for $200. You can get boards that support USB 3.0 for significantly less than X58 boards.
Old January 13, 2010, 05:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yay agreements!

I saw on an RFD thread someone selling a 4850 for $85 with an aftermarket cooler on it. Let me know and I can try and find it for you. IF you go that route.
Old January 13, 2010, 06:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

.. buy a good card now.. lmao.. im an AMD fan boy.. i think you could get the same performance out of an AMD Phenom II X4 ... they are pretty sweet... i have seen them go all the way to 7.2 GHz.. :-P you could save some cash there too
Old January 14, 2010, 04:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
i think you could get the same performance out of an AMD Phenom II X4 ... they are pretty sweet... i have seen them go all the way to 7.2 GHz.. :-P you could save some cash there too
While the OP states he's maybe interested in OC'ing for gaming, I don't see him go LN2.

However, I agree that for the uses mentioned, an AMD PhenomII X4 955BE CPU on a AM3 motherboard like the Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 (USB3.0 & SATA3) or an ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO (U3S6) will do fine.
Saves a bundle of money, then again, if I had that money to 'burn', I'd perhaps also go I7.
Old January 16, 2010, 06:36 AM
MVP

For motherboard savings pickup an amd pci-e usb 3 card I think asus has one out too.
Old January 16, 2010, 10:50 AM
MVP

I'm sorry, what?
Old January 16, 2010, 11:21 AM
Rookie

I've priced out an i-7 860 build and it is only $30 cheaper. For that difference, I would prefer to go with i7-920. At least that way, I will have triple channel memory that I won't need to worry about replacing for future upgrades.

Yes there is aprox ~$200 savings with AMD. I don't know much about the offerings, so I'll look into it. Although from my quick searches so far it does appear that many people with AMD computers say they would buy the i7 if they had the money... Makes me think I should save my time researching them and just stick with intel since it falls within my budget.

Last edited by Dodger; January 16, 2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old January 16, 2010, 09:57 PM
MVP

If your 1156 build only cost $30 cheaper than a 1366 one, you either built a VERY over-the-top 1156 build (expensive motherboard and 8GB of RAM) or your 1366 build was very low-end (3GB of RAM and a cheap motherboard). Two comparable 1156 and 1366 builds will likely be $150 apart ($100 for the motherboard, $50 for the RAM). $250 apart if you drop down to a 750, which is more than necessary for gaming.