Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2010, 03:08 PM
Rookie

Default HDD,ram and CPU Heatsinks

Hi
time for a minor upgrade.
For most part my computer is fine.I use it mostly for movies,web browsing,programming and VMware(dont play game).My two HDD are full so it time for a bigger one.Also i need more ram cuz i tend to use multiple Virtual machine in vmware.
For this upgrade i am looking for something cheap.

My current config :
Intel core 2 Duo E6570 2.66 with stock fan
2*1Gb ram OCZ gold 5-5-5-18 DDR2-800 PC6400
Maxtor 6Y250 P0 ATA
Segate ST3250824AS
GIGABYTE P35-DS3R

For the HDD, i am looking for something quiet,performance dont have to be stellar (but still respectable so the WD green are excluded). i am between this two :
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...i&promoid=1145
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...D&promoid=1145
I have heard that the caviar black are very good drive and i can't find a good review on the hitachi drive. Does the WD worth the 20 bucks ?

For the ram again nothing to fancy , i dont overclock nor play games. Right know i think of :
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...l&promoid=1145
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...y&promoid=1145

For the cpu headsink i just have no clue on what to choose, so i am all open to sugestion.Again just want something deadly quiet, the cooling perfomance are secondary.

So what do you guys think ?
thanks
Old January 9, 2010, 04:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I say the WD Black coz they are (but don't quote me) one of the fastest HDD around.

Depending on the clearance of the case ( if you can fit a 120mm fan, then there's no problem) i would get a Coolermaster 212+ if you comfortable in taking your mobo apart, if not get the OCZ Vendetta 2 or Xigematek S1283.

-Plato
Old January 9, 2010, 04:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

For your heat sink hands down for the cost and the amount it dissipates heat this one can't be beat. You may be able to find it cheaper using the HWC shop search but here is the link of the product from ncix http://ncix.com/products/?sku=41337&...e=COOLERMASTER
Old January 9, 2010, 04:32 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Best bang for your buck cooler is definitely the CM Hyper 212+. As long as it is not running flat out (which is shouldnt to that often as you have a low power / low heat output CPU) the fan it comes with is kick ass. IF the 2k fan is too loud for you, you can swap it out for a lower noise, lower speed one. BUT it shouldnt ramp up that often where you are running a fairly cool CPU.

For HDD's I prefer WD Blacks. BUT they do "growl" (not as bad as some but they are not the quietest out there!). IF it is too loud, set the AAM (Automatic acoustic management) lower. It will reduce the speed of the drive but will make it damn near silent.

For non OC'ed systems I prefer GSkill RAM (for OC'ing I prefer Mushkin).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 10, 2010, 04:57 PM
MVP

Well, for a hard drive I'd take one of the following: Caviar Black, Spinpoint F1, or Barracuda 7200.12 (not 7200.11, since there tend to be firmware issues). Any of those would be plenty quick, just get whichever's cheapest.

For RAM, why get 2 x 2GB? I'm pretty sure your motherboard supports 4 memory DIMMs, so just get a 2 x 1GB set and use it with the set you already have for 4GB. Save's you a bundle too.

For a cooler, if you want the best bang / buck cooling and not too loud, the Hyper 212 Plus is a great choice. If you want a silent cooler that will adequately cool a C2D (and I mean SILENT) get the GELID Silent Spirit. It will cool better than a stock fan and a helluva lot quieter.