Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8, 2010, 07:40 AM
Top Prospect

Default Power supply for this system

I am about to upgrade my main system, which sits in an Antec P180 case.

The power supply is an Enermax Liberty 500W unit. I am looking for advice - is this sufficient for the components listed below?

These components are all purchased, with the last few bits arriving today according to Purolator's web site:

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus III Formula
Memory: 4 pieces of DDR 1600 2Gb, total 8Gb
Video: XFX 5770, driving an Acer 24" and a Samsung 17" (1280x1024)
Other cards: PCIx 1x audio supplied with MaxIII board
CPU: i5, hopefully pushed to 4Ghz or whatever can be stable
CPU Cooler: Venomous X with two 120mm Noctura fans
Hard drive:
- Velociraptor 300Gb
- Seagate IDE 320Gb
- Seagate 1.5Tb SATA
(the IDE drive will be removed a week or two after the build, once apps have been moved from XP to Win7)
Optical drives:
- Plextor PX716 DVD-RW
- LG 22x DVD-RW
- Plextor 5224 CD-RW
- Plextor Blu-Ray reader (model 310)
Internal fans: four 120mm (two at top, one front of upper drive bay, one in lower drive bay/power supply area)

I don't do hardly any gaming, but do some video and photo editing. This rig is intended more for future proofing (for whatever that term means theses days!) and smooth operation and a bit of experimenting, not raw horsepower.

Will a 500W power supply be sufficient?

Thanks in advance!
Old January 8, 2010, 07:48 AM
Top Prospect

if it would be my setup i would choose something like a corsair tx750w or tx850w to have some headroom plus they have plenty of amps. Those are high quality psu's and they have 5 years warranty on them
Old January 8, 2010, 08:17 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
if it would be my setup i would choose something like a corsair tx750w or tx850w to have some headroom plus they have plenty of amps. Those are high quality psu's and they have 5 years warranty on them
Thanks for the setup!

However, since I already have the Liberty 500W installed, the question is - will this be sufficient?

I guess it should be broken into two questions:
1> will the 500W power supply be sufficient to run this system stock, no overclocking, for daily use?

2> will the 500W power supply be sufficient if the system is overclocked and pushed?

I have no trouble upgrading the power supply, but I have a real problem buying gear when the existing gear will work. That is why I am looking for advice.

Thanks!
Old January 8, 2010, 08:28 AM
Banned
F@H

Just forget the 500 W Idea

with your bunch of dvd and the 4ghz OC at something around 1,4 volts ( mine is at 1,31, but I want get generous) and with the calcul of the aging ... your PSU will not be new in 3 years... you need 606 watts. for 90% of the load. I don't like be tight , so 750w will be my minimum
Old January 8, 2010, 08:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

If you drop down the opticals and hard drives, you might get away with it for now. But as your power supply ages it may give you issues down the road.

Old January 8, 2010, 09:08 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterd View Post
If you drop down the opticals and hard drives, you might get away with it for now. But as your power supply ages it may give you issues down the road.
The power supply has already been in use for two or three years, at least.

Hmm......guess I will have to see what Canada Computers has in stock.....
Old January 8, 2010, 10:55 AM
MVP

My System Specs

if you didn't have so many dvd drives i would say it would work. I'm really cheap so i know i would try it if i was in your shoes unless you got another pc to use that enermax in

Go to dell and check out the xps9000, it has a 450 watt psu. Build one(website, not really) of those online with as many option as possible and then make a comparison with all the stuff you have . keep in mind that dell is said to under rate their psu's so its likely closer to 500 watts
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Last edited by johnnyblazzwa; January 8, 2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old January 8, 2010, 11:08 AM
Banned
F@H

don't loose your time with the Dell web site, do like I always do use the Antec PSU calculator, but you have to learn how to use it, all true it's easy , just make the good choice, you say it will be OC at 4000, so put 4000, but it's the voltage that make watts, so you have to know the voltage, it's around 1,31 for a I5 750 , amd use the ageing also, your psu will not always be new.

Antec Power Supply Calculator
Old January 8, 2010, 11:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator
Old January 8, 2010, 01:06 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Great links, thanks guys. Nice to confirm that you are still on track every now and then, or before you upgrade a component.