Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2010, 10:44 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Watercooling Loop Help!

Hey all, I am building a loop and need some imput on how I should run it.

Should I go

Pump>CPU>Rad>Res>Pump
OR
Pump>Rad>CPU>Res>Pump

I thought that a good pressure from the pump to CPU would be good, but also thought that if I cooled the water before entering the CPU it would be better. But will water in the res get warm that much?

If someone has lots of experience with it I would love to hear their input.

BTW my parts for WC are:
Apogee GTZ
Switech MCP655
Thermochill PA 120.3
EK Multi Res 150
1/2 ID 3/4 OD tubing
Feser One UV Purple Coolant

Thanks!
Old January 7, 2010, 10:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

res > pump > cpu > rad
Old January 8, 2010, 04:26 AM
Top Prospect

the loop order is not important because the water will eventually reach temperature equilibrium, as long as the res is before pump and also higher then the pump, it will be ok.
Old January 8, 2010, 06:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

very right setup means very little in overall temps , but i run mine res>pump>rad>cpu then any others after that.
Old January 8, 2010, 07:40 AM
MVP

I would say Pump > Rad > CPU > Res > Pump. I've never WCed myself, but the pump does heat the water a bit, so it's best to run it though the rad before it gets to the block.

Also, why are you using store-bought coolant? Distilled water with a bit of antifreeze will work as well and cost a lot less. If you want the coolant's color, I'm sure there are dyes you can buy.
Old January 8, 2010, 09:57 AM
Top Prospect

with many years of experience with watercooling i can tell you that eventually the water's temperature will be almost equal eveywhere in the loop no matter the order. you might get 1-2c difference at most. It is more important to use your energy on figuring a way to use less tubing as possible it will have a bigger impact on your temps then the order of you're parts in the loop
Old January 8, 2010, 10:06 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Res should always be before pump to make sure the pump doesn't run dry when you are first setting it up. Other than that it really doesn't matter.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED