Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 29, 2009, 03:05 PM
Rookie

Default new build cooler issues- help please

Hi guys,
SEASONS GREETINGS FROM ENGLAND
Just starting a new build and i am getting totally stuck with it. I am worried that the cpu cooler i have got wont fit in the case. the cooler is new on the market and the case i love and dont wont to mod it. has anybody in canuck land used these before?
I aint done a build for a long time and usually have a genius friend on hand who lives close by - he's away for new year atm - but this one is going to be done alone. I am looking forward to taking my time and learning about all the new kewl kit as i go along. Short story - I may need some forum advice now and again please
So can anybody point me in the way of any on-line i7 building guides thay can recommend?
right here's my list of components
CASE - Coolermaster RC-1100 V2 Cosmos S (Sport) Black Full Tower Case.
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Coole...U-NEW-In-Stock
Couldn't resist this case, just love the way it looks - reckon i could fit the other half in it if i needed.
PSU - 850w Seasonic S12D-850
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/850w-...nt-ATX-EPS-12V
CPU - Intel i7 920, D0 SLBEJ S1366
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Intel...MB-130W-Retail
jeeze this has gone up a fair few quid since i ordered it
CPU COOLING - Cogage True Spirit 120mm PWN Fan and Cooler
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Cogag...ntel-1366-Cpus
dont know why i chose this but i like the look of it
MEMORY - 6GB (3x2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/6GB-D...preader-CoreI7
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5, Intel X58
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Gigab...00-SATA-II-ATX
had too many bad experiences with cheap mobo's - never again, besides this looks so good too
GPU - 896MB Gainward GTX260 Golden Smple
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/896MB...16-CoresBatman
I thought about this for a while - just couldn't justify the added expense of the 280s,290s for what is a pretty limited performance increase over this card, add to that the new Nvidia cards are out soon too and they will all be yesterdays news. I needed a new card as it was the card that fried my old system - an 8800gts
SCREEN - NVIDIA 3D Vision Bundle - Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ 22" 120Hz LCD + NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Glasses
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/NVIDI...Vision-Glasses
Thats about it - anything else is salvaged from the old rig.
will take photos as i go along
any advice gratefully received
Thanx for your time folks
Steve
Old December 29, 2009, 03:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Should Fit No problem. The Cogage is smaller than a True, and I've seen a True fit in a Cosmos S.

Greetings to Canuck Land!

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 30, 2009, 04:42 AM
Rookie

Hey dude
thanx for that.
I have just done a dry run without the mobo in the case and the pipe lugs on the top of the cooler just touch the metal fan guard on the side fan. may be an issue later but hopefully not.
will keep you posted.
cheers
Steve
Old December 30, 2009, 04:44 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUBZOMBIE View Post
Hey dude
.....and the pipe lugs on the top of the cooler just touch the metal fan guard on the side fan. may be an issue later but hopefully not.
Hi Steve , make sure it's not prying the base of the stock cooler
Old December 30, 2009, 05:05 AM
Rookie

Hi Mark
not sure what u mean?
I havent fit the the mobo or stock cooler yet - everything is in bits spread over my desks and I am just checking all the new pieces over for physical damage before i start. I used to work in the delivery bussiness and have seen how some guys chuck parcels around on the vans and in the depots. I dont want to fit the cooler to find it dont fit because the supplier may not take it back.
begining to wish i had gone for the watercooling option instead now.
anyhow, this site and forum is really cool, so much to read, should have come here before i started ordering my new kit - thanx though guys, there is so much here
I work freelance in academia & game development so having a good setup is paramount these days - my last rig lasted me 3yrs before it expired due to overheating. The 8800gts fried and took the native resolution of the monitor and a stick of ram with it. It was freaky - never had an epic fail like that before but was running it on an agressive overclock. That is why I have decided to go for a well cooled case - its just that the side fan on the cosmos s is so huge.
thanx again
*takes sip of Te Bheag gaelic whiskey*
heres to the HardwareCanuks
cheers
steve
Old December 30, 2009, 05:13 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
Hi Steve , make sure it's not prying the base of the stock cooler

if the top of the cooler is touching something, it can pry the base of the cooler, so you will have space between the cooler and the CPU
Old December 30, 2009, 05:32 AM
Rookie

ahh ok buddy
thanx
Old December 30, 2009, 05:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

welcome long hop across the pond. like everyone else said as long as it is not pull the heatsink off you fine.
Old December 30, 2009, 06:55 AM
Rookie

ok thats cool.
it looks like it will def touch the fan guard - but i may be able cut a small piece off the card with my girlfriends rotary jewellery saw.
thanx dudes
how much thermal paste is best to use?
also which type is best I have 3 types - one is arctic silver the others are an orange/cream coloured ann are marked 350 and 450 compounds
cheers
steve
Old December 30, 2009, 07:28 AM
Rookie

Default cooler recomendations

Just had a reply from the supplier who have stated that they will gladly exchange the truespirit cooler as the lugs on top do in fact cause a slight problem that they are not happy with.
can anybody recommend a radiator and fan combo that is good for i7 in the cosmos s case?
thanx guys
steve*edit*
ps. I usually use Scan computers - Scan.co.uk: Leading supplier of Coolers - Air

Last edited by PUBZOMBIE; December 30, 2009 at 08:05 AM.