Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 26, 2009, 12:29 PM
Rookie

Default PhenomIIX4 955BE + 5850; ASUS M4A785TD-V Evo good choice?

Hi folks,

First time post from Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Because of the quality review on the Asus mobo I'm planning to use, here on HWC and because of the mixed answers I've gotten on dutch fora, I joined this board.

I'm planning to build me a gaming rig, based around a PhenomII X4 955BE and an Ati HD5850.
I'm looking for a decent mobo that will allow me to OC the 955 towards 3.8-4.0 GHz.
Other specs;
Case; Antec 300
Cooling; Scythe Mugen2 (& Arctic Silver Ceramic)
Memory; 4GB DDR3 1600MHz (OCZ Gold, Kingston HyperX or GSKill Ripjaw, not sure yet)
HDD; probably a Samsung F3 1GB
PSU; Be quiet L7 530 (or perhaps a Corsair CX400W or Cooler Master Real Power M520, not sure yet)
Monitor; Samsung Syncmaster 24" 1920*1200
(All of this has yet to be purchased)

For a mobo, I'm looking at the Asus M4A785TD-V Evo. Would that be a good choice?
I've read some reviews which state it's ok for a 'mild' OC but not for hardcore OC'ing.
So I'm thinking, is it good enough for an air-cooled 4.0 GHz OC?
I won't go Crossfire so 1 PCI-e16x is all I need.
Besides gaming I also like to run linux so the IGP suits me well (Linux Catalyst drivers for the 5xxx series might take a while).
Especially because of the Mosfet heatsink and because of the ATX format, I chose the V-ATX above the M-mATX version (price difference is about 5-6 US$ here in NL).

I'd really appreciate some comments/criticism on my mobo of choice.
Is it the 'perfect' choice or are there (much) better AM3 options to be considered, perhaps the mATX version or perhaps a completely different AM3 mobo?

Regards, 15Down.

Old December 26, 2009, 01:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

Welcome to HWC.

I'd suggest to change the PSU to at least a 750 and a better case with lots of airflow and good cable management. That board should be able to give a good overclock within the specs that you want, it is not the perfect choice but a good one. That choice of cooler should do a very good job, I have one. The only thing about that combination is that you might have to orient that cooler the same as this guy's, Scythe Mugen 2 CPU Cooler Review, as it will hit the ripjaws if you orient it the other way. All other parts seem to check out nicely.

Old December 26, 2009, 01:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I have that EVO board and I have to admit it is a really good choice out of all the ones available today. You wont' be disappointed using it.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 26, 2009, 02:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Might want to consider the Coolermater Hyper 212 Plus as your heatsink instead. You can mount it in horizontal and vertical orientation which is always nice so that it follows your case's airflow.

Make sure you buy a couple more 120mm fans as well for the Antec 300 so that you can fill up all the empty fan openings.

As for the Be Quiet PSU, it will probably suffice but it's an European only brand so I don't know much about them, and I doubt many people on here do either. I'd suggest getting at least a 650W though so you have some headroom.

HDD, maybe the Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB? Not sure if it's any faster though.

RAM, I'd go with the G.SKILLs and check their website to make sure the model you're looking at is compatible with AM3.
Old December 26, 2009, 02:28 PM
MVP

What's your budget on this build? Based on the 955, 5850, and 24" monitor I'd say the budget is fairly high. Anyway, here's what I'd change:

Case: Get the Lexa S, Tempest EVO, Storm Scout, hell, even the Gamma or the M59. Don't get the Antec 300. You have been warned.

Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus. End of story.

Memory: I'd get the Ripjaws. Just me.

PSU: You're WAY undershooting. Get something really solid. I'd recommend the Seasonic S12D 750W. Great PSU, low price.

Motherboard: If you're ABSOLUTELY SURE you will upgrade your motherboard before you go Crossfire (and it's going to affect your budget significantly) get the Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P. If you have any doubt, or you have the extra slack in your budget, get the M4A79XTD EVO. 790X > 785G.
Old December 26, 2009, 02:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_zappa View Post
Welcome to HWC.

I'd suggest to change the PSU to at least a 750 and a better case with lots of airflow and good cable management. That board should be able to give a good overclock within the specs that you want, it is not the perfect choice but a good one. That choice of cooler should do a very good job, I have one. The only thing about that combination is that you might have to orient that cooler the same as this guy's, Scythe Mugen 2 CPU Cooler Review, as it will hit the ripjaws if you orient it the other way. All other parts seem to check out nicely.
Thanks for the fast reply.

At the dutch board I visit daily, some 'experts' advised me to buy a quality PSU (Corsair, Antec, Be quiet) but in the watt range of the hardware I'm going to use;
If the hw uses about 300 then a 400 watt PSU should be enough (I was told).
I thought this would mean that the PSU would have to work so hard that even a 'silent and cool' quality PSU would become 'loud and hot'...
So you agree that I should have enough headroom and not max out a PSU at, let's say, 75/80% while gaming?

My budget is fixed but I'm certainly willing to spend on a quality PSU with enough power.
If I look at some reviews where they test the 5850, I see power usage around 300 or even a bit less.
Would a 600 watt PSU not be enough for such usage or is it really advisable to go for 750 and have that much 'headroom'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I have that EVO board and I have to admit it is a really good choice out of all the ones available today. You wont' be disappointed using it.

ST
Thanks, may I ask, if you OC, what OC you've accomplished?
(And what other hardware you are using, like what CPU, PSU f.i.)

P.S.
Only saw the first two replies before posting.
Obvious now that the PSU needs to be much more robust...

Last edited by 15Down; December 26, 2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old December 26, 2009, 04:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't personally OC'd on it, but the original owner of the board got 4.0Ghz on an Unlocked 550. So it does have quite the potential if your wanting to push the envelope.

As for the PSU, its not so much the wattage to be worried about (although you have to make sure you have enough) its how clean the power is. PSU's that are poor quality start to really create ripple and other things which can damage components connected to your gear. Or, worst case scenerio nuke your rig. My friend bought one of those Xion Supernova's, and it lived up to its name first time he gave it a good run. The only surviving component was his DVD Rom.

Never skimp on the PSU. Its the cruicbal of your rig.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old December 27, 2009, 11:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I haven't personally OC'd on it, but the original owner of the board got 4.0Ghz on an Unlocked 550. So it does have quite the potential if your wanting to push the envelope.
Is that HWC review unit?

Old December 27, 2009, 02:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_zappa View Post
Is that HWC review unit?
Maybe

ST