Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 26, 2009, 04:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default *IMPORTANT* Phenom II x4 955 C3 and Motherboard v1.0 Issues

Would the difference between Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P v1.0 and Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P v1.1 (might go for all motherboards?) just be the BIOS it comes with?

I was looking at motherboards on newegg and noticed one comment saying the PII x4 965 be C3 didn't work on an ASUS motherboard with v1.0 and had to be v1.1

"Cons: PLEASE READ: I've never given out a one egg before. Most of the time I think it's childish and you get reviews like "Did not POST, DOA, etc.", that make you want to flag the review as not being helpful. **This is very important** As of this past month (11/07), AMD released new revisions to their top line of processors (starting with the 965 125w). DO NOT PURCHASE THIS BOARD WITH THAT (OR ANY OTHER C3) PROCESSOR. AMD supports these chips in the most current version of the BIOS (v.2002). However, in order to flash your BIOS, you have to have another AM3 processor. The board will NOT boot at all with these new processors. This should be fixed in the next 6 months for this board. I say 6 months for the fact that it takes about that time for the new BIOS to be implemented into current shipments.

Alright ASUS, please don't bother responding to this. I know someone pays you to follow the bad reviews and give the whole "We're sorry you had a bad experience..." script. GO AHEAD! I bet anything ASUS will give the standard cut and paste rebuttal under my post. Waiting...
Manufacturer Response:Dear Valued Customer,

This is true. Always check our CPU compatibility list at ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support- for the motherboard/CPU in question before you make your purchase.

The C3 X4 965 (125W) needs BIOS revision 0605 or newer in order to be recognized by the motherboard. The X4 965 (140W) will work with this board from the initial BIOS revision on.

The next shipments of this model motherboard will have the latest BIOS revision, 0605.

Best Regards,

ASUS Support Team"

I know I'm talking about the 955 C3 but I figure it would be the same deal.

So is the difference between Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P v1.0 and v1.1 just an updated BIOS?
Not sure if this is relevant for Gigabyte boards or what

This is board I'm planning on getting
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD2703

This is info from amd site
AMD Processors for Desktops: AMD Phenom? Processor

Was thinking revision 0.1 might be a typo or something. Maybe I'm just looking into it too much... Can someone let me know what they think?