Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24, 2009, 08:55 AM
MVP

Default Need suggestions for a PC

I'd like to get my mother a new PC, since hers is very old. She's using one of my older pcs which is a intel pentium III with maybe 256 of memory. Its showing its test of time and is really starting to get slow that even my mom complains about it :P Since she only uses her pc for email and looking things up online, I was wondering if someone could suggest a nice computer that is fast. She obviously doesn't play games, so she doesn't need something that has a expensive video card etc. A laptop or netbook is out of the question since I doubt she is not very tech savy to use the touch pad and the screen would probably be too small.

She does a lot for my g/f and I and our 3yr old son, so I'd like to do something nice for her.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old December 24, 2009, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How bout a AMD 240, some cheap DDR2 ram, Gigabyte 785 Chipset, Corsair 400W PSU, some random case, and blow the rest of your money on a HUGE monitor.

-Plato
Old December 24, 2009, 09:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

I would say to just go to a local retailer to buy one. As much as I don't like them, FutureShop (Canadian) has a Compaq with an Intel Atom (1.6GHz), 1GB RAM, and 160GB HDD for $199 right now. I think that is all she needs for email.
Old December 24, 2009, 04:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
I would say to just go to a local retailer to buy one. As much as I don't like them, FutureShop (Canadian) has a Compaq with an Intel Atom (1.6GHz), 1GB RAM, and 160GB HDD for $199 right now. I think that is all she needs for email.
Well I wouldn't buy that Atom system, but some pre-built will suffice.

I'd go with something that uses typical desktop stuff though, like a Core 2/Pentium Dual or AMD Athlon X2. Should be able to get a whole package with monitor for like $500.
Old December 25, 2009, 01:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Also, remember, boxing day sales, LOTs of nice cheap desktops / packages !