Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2009, 12:17 PM
Banned

I'm looking for a budget AMD system, too. I think they suggested components that are 'overkill' because it keeps the system 'fresh.' Getting old stuff means it'll be outdated faster and harder to upgrade, potentially. So, there are advantages and disadvantages for both. I guess if you just want to buy stuff for now and go with cheapest components, get an AMD 740G or 760G mobo with DDR2 RAM. The downside is if any sticks go bad, you might still have high prices for RAM and even have them less available. It depends if we have what happened to DDR occur with DDR2.

As for the overkill components, it just keeps the system more modern and upgradeable regardless if you need that power or not. I can see their perspective and it is way more appealing to me but the prices get higher so if it's buying stuff you don't need and you don't mind building another system sooner rather than later, it is not a bad choice to just buy stuff for today.

Imho, of course. I am leaning towards the 'today' side because of the same requirements - need a system for surfing, watching movies/videos and just need it faster than a Pentium 4 and better video than Intel GM950. ;-)
Old December 22, 2009, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
I'm looking for a budget AMD system, too. I think they suggested components that are 'overkill' because it keeps the system 'fresh.' Getting old stuff means it'll be outdated faster and harder to upgrade, potentially. So, there are advantages and disadvantages for both. I guess if you just want to buy stuff for now and go with cheapest components, get an AMD 740G or 760G mobo with DDR2 RAM. The downside is if any sticks go bad, you might still have high prices for RAM and even have them less available. It depends if we have what happened to DDR occur with DDR2.

As for the overkill components, it just keeps the system more modern and upgradeable regardless if you need that power or not. I can see their perspective and it is way more appealing to me but the prices get higher so if it's buying stuff you don't need and you don't mind building another system sooner rather than later, it is not a bad choice to just buy stuff for today.

Imho, of course. I am leaning towards the 'today' side because of the same requirements - need a system for surfing, watching movies/videos and just need it faster than a Pentium 4 and better video than Intel GM950. ;-)

I see what you mean there, and did not take into account some of the things you mentioned. I may revise this list, and post a semi-final build list here for all to look at
Old December 22, 2009, 05:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have the list yet?

-Plato
Old December 22, 2009, 05:44 PM
Banned

Whatever you do, I would go with AMD so an AMD AM2+ (DDR2) or AM3 motherboard (w/ DDR3). The processors are cheaper than Intel's and deliver good performance for the dollar. I am looking at 740G/760G motherboards ($50) and maybe 770 ($60). The motherboards with the 'G' are integrated boards so they have integrated graphics. That would save you buying a video card if you wanted to save more money. Even if you go DDR2, go with 4GB and that should do for a while. I am thinking of this depending on how much DDR3 memory is when I'm ready to buy.

For cpu, I want an Athlon II X2 240e which is low voltage and good performance.