Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2009, 10:32 PM
Rookie

Default Core i5 build(UPDATED WITH NEW PIC AND FINAL THOUGHT)

hello, new to the forum.
i am planning to do a build and buy my parts at boxing day to save few dollars
i got most of the parts worked out, but i am having problem with the case.
here is what i have so far

- Core i5 750
- CoolerMaster HAF 932
- Gigabyte P55-UD3R
- Corsair TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W
- OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 1333MHz Gold Edition
- i will use the 2 seagate 320GB HDD and 8800GTS 512MB in my old compute for this build.

i like the CoolerMaster HAF 932, but it's lack of dust filter is really a let down. after a bit of googling, i found the Storm Sniper from Cooler Master, which i really love, suits my need perfectly. unfortunately, it isn't instock at CanadaComputers, and i really don't want to pay $25 for shipping. does anybody body know any retailer around Toronto that have this case for roughly $150? also, how do you guys think the 2 case compare? i like the wheels,spacious interier, big fan, and window&mesh side panel on the HAF 932. on the other hand, Sniper's fan control,LED light On/Off, and the dust filter will be really convenient to have.

also, any input on the build above would be greatly apperciated.

P.S. tigerdirect have the core i5 on sale for 199, which comes to $40 cheaper after tax. you guys think boxing day going to have deals that beat it? or should i just buy it now?

Last edited by johnny3144; December 26, 2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old December 21, 2009, 12:52 AM
Allstar

id get a modular psu imo other then that looks nice. xD
Old December 21, 2009, 05:57 AM
MVP

Looks like a solid build, and from what I can see the Storm Sniper is great. Just make sure you get the Black Edition, with a fan on the side and an all-black paint job. It be epic. Also, if you're planning to OC, which I recommend, make sure you get an aftermarket cooler. The Hyper 212 Plus (also by CM) is a great option on the cheap.

Oh, and you may not want to go with OCZ RAM. I've never used it myself, but I've seen some reviews on Newegg reflecting very poor quality control. I'd recommend Corsair and Crucial, or G.Skill on a tighter budget.
Old December 21, 2009, 07:41 AM
Rookie

i see, thanks for the reply. i will see if i can find some cheap corsair or crucial. i used OCZ ram quite often, thou never seriously overclocked with them. think i got 400mhz with a 3800+ X2, thou that was mostly restricted by CPU.

i looked at the pictures of the 2 cases, i like the HAF's look much better than sniper... but sniper have some really important feature that HAF lacks.... i really don't know which to pick now...

P.S how is BestDirect? they have Storm Sniper for 140 + 8 dollar shipping, which is acceptable.

Last edited by johnny3144; December 21, 2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old December 21, 2009, 07:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

OCZ were killer with the DDR1 memory but in DDR2 and DDR3 they come very wierd to have god quality. You have to select whoch or which kit. If you go with these cheaper kit and try to OC they wont last very long. Go with G.kill 1600 or corsair. Patriot is also nice. They are good quality with a great mid price that you will be abble to find at good price during boxing day for sure. For the rest it look nice to me.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 21, 2009, 02:18 PM
Rookie

well, i went out today and bought the i5 and the Storm sniper. freaking tigerdirect trying to fool me saying they had no in-stock and they only have core i5 860. i bitched at them a bit to double check, and the guy came back with a i5 750.

i also had to get the original sniper, cause apperently they only have original in their local store, unlike the website. they also charge $209 for it, had to price match with canadacomputer to get it at 153(they won't match BestDirect, because apparently they have different policy than tigerdirect.ca)

i will get the rest on boxing day, will update you guys on how it go.

i like the sniper case, but i felt the fan speed dial is a bit cheap... should have used better bearing. it feels flimsy .
Old December 21, 2009, 04:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Personally I think that tigerdirect is one ofthe worst out here. Few week ago at job we send a 4890 to RMA for user to DIamond because tigerdirect have tell him that the extended warranty he get wasn't working for quebec people. That really suck. They also sell complete container of refurbished stuff and thing like that so I can`t trust them anymore. Now you have seen what they can do you to. Now you only have to makle a workblog after Boxing day to show us how your baby is going;) good luck my friend!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 21, 2009, 04:26 PM
Rookie

it's not the first time i had bad experience with them lol. i bought the Z-cinma speaker, which subwoofer was really quiet, so i went to change it. i found there is 1 left, but the box is opened. i asked the sale associate and he assured me it's brand new, and he moved it to the front this morning himself. i bought it, and opened it when i got back to my room. surprise surprise, there is big fat oily finger print all over the unit, and the unit is packed in the box the wrong way.

maybe we should start a thread of why the suck... or is there one already?

Last edited by johnny3144; December 21, 2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old December 21, 2009, 06:55 PM
Rookie

got another question.
you guys suggested i should get a aftermarket cooler, and recommanded Hyper 212 plus from Coolermaster. i don't really plan to overclock my i5 yet, but i might in the future, and i want something relatively quiet. i looked at hyper 212, it seems a tad big to me. since i live in res, i need to move my computer quite often, would this strain the motherboard? i also took at look at hyper 101i, it costs half as much and only have 2 heatpipes. how does that cooler compare with 212 plus? any other great cheap aftermarket cooler out there? i am looking somewhere around 15 to 30.
Old December 21, 2009, 07:59 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny3144 View Post
got another question.
you guys suggested i should get a aftermarket cooler, and recommanded Hyper 212 plus from Coolermaster. i don't really plan to overclock my i5 yet, but i might in the future, and i want something relatively quiet. i looked at hyper 212, it seems a tad big to me. since i live in res, i need to move my computer quite often, would this strain the motherboard? i also took at look at hyper 101i, it costs half as much and only have 2 heatpipes. how does that cooler compare with 212 plus? any other great cheap aftermarket cooler out there? i am looking somewhere around 15 to 30.
The 212 Plus would be much better than the 101i, but a decent compromsie between the two would be the TX3. However, if you're thinking about OCing (and if you're not, I do recommend it, you just can't argue with 1.33 extra GHz for free) I'd say get the 212 Plus.

Also, there will be mobo strain, but since it has a backplate there shouldn't be too much, and the risk of it falling off the motherboard is very minimal, a lot less than with push pins.