Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 26, 2009, 03:18 PM
Rookie

ok i just finished. the case looks amazine! and i love corsair PSU's attention to detail! thou putting my PSU upside-down made my 8-pin almost too short to reach. i will post pictures later.

windows 7 x64 install is slow as hell... this isnt the first time... anybody have any ideas why?

P.S. i messed up the corsair case badge and try to reposition it, but the badge is made of thin metal and have super strong glue on it, so i bent mine by accident...
Old December 26, 2009, 03:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny3144 View Post

P.S. i messed up the corsair case badge and try to reposition it, but the badge is made of thin metal and have super strong glue on it, so i bent mine by accident...
Pro Tip for next time: use a hair dryer to soften glue on stickers in order to reposition. Works for vehicles, too!
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old December 26, 2009, 06:06 PM
Rookie

Ok, i have the rig up and running. i will post pics later! thanks for all your help!
Old December 26, 2009, 07:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I've just finished building mine, too! It posted to BIOS which is a good sign. Haven't re-installed Win7 yet but I'm going to see how everything fairs without a reformat/install first. Win7 did launch to the log in screen w/o problems but I needed to shut down to rearrange some SATA cables to my liking.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Surface Pro 128GB
Old December 26, 2009, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If something went bad for both of you just ask;) you know that on HWC you will get answer!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 26, 2009, 08:50 PM
Rookie

As promised, here is the pictures.

The fan on Hyper 212 plus is in the way if RAM is installed to the RAM slot closest to CPU

the most awesome PSU packaging i seen.

All the cable on Corsair TX750 is sleeved, awesome. i placed the PSU upside-down, so i won't have to clean the dust out of it every 2 month. one of the flaw on Storm Sniper is there is no filter on the PSU intake. and the bottom filter is hard to remove, think have to unscrew some screw to remove it.

Finished! i clean the cable up a bit more afterward.

Final thought:
Case - Nice and big. easy to install and with some effort, cable can be hidden nicely. PSU intake lack fan filter, and bottom filter is hard to remove. power and HDD LED is way too bright, almost blinding if looked into directly. fan control nob feel cheap and filmsy, thou rest of the construction is solid. HDD cage doesn't damp noice much, the same HDD sound much louder in this case than in P180.
since it's a large case, if you don't place the PSU in the exact direction they suggested(fan down) or have slightly short cables, your 8-pin gonna have a hard time to reach from behind. mine almost didn't, i had to struggle with it. the side panel don't have any thing to hold them tight on the bottom side, so it slightly stick out a bit when closed(especially when you have a huge bundle of cable stuck between back panel and side door)

front panel connector are nicely placed for the unit when sit on the floor. really easy to access.

CPU Cooler - HUGE! cools nicely, my idle with no OC is 22C(room temp 21ish). it's quiet. the fan get in the way tall ram in east-west direction(thou you can move the fan up a bit, and solve this problem, so it's not really much of a complain). the cooler twist too much even when secured for my liking, thou it's not hindering performance stability.

RAM - nothing special about it yet, thou free game on steam is a plus. and the heat spreader looks nice

i5 750 - cool, nice and OC nicely. and pretty fast

P55 - nice board, got lots of features and connectors. OC nicely(i think). i used it's quickboost thing and OCed to 3.2 Ghz, didn't stress test, but it's running without problem so far. btw my idle increased to 30-36ish.

Corsair TX750 - what can i say? the most awesome PSU i owned. the attention to detail is amazing. all cable are sleeved. the molex power is easy to disconnect. 140mm fan is quiet. the packaging is great. even is case badge is nice if i didn't mess it up, it look like a metal plate mounted on the case instead of a sticker.

Last edited by johnny3144; December 26, 2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old December 26, 2009, 08:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For the fan in the way of the memory...Read you manual you will see that the first memory kit NEED to be in the channel B so your ram is actually where she is suppose to be. I done this mistake first time I build a P55. No post then read the manual and...facepalm...

Martin_metal_88

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 26, 2009, 09:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

So I've ran into a problem.

I booted up the system for the 2nd time and went into Windows. This is without a reinstall/format of the HDD. There were system errors in the Device Manager but over several minutes there was a message to reboot as a result of drivers being installed. I restarted the computer (3rd reboot now) and went back into Windows, checked the Device Manager and all was well, no errors or warnings. So proceeded to launch CoreTemp64 to check temps prior to overclocking. I then ran WEI to check ratings against the Q6600 build. CPU stayed the same, memory increased, GPU went down, and HDD remained the same. No big deal I figure I'll check the ASUS mobo disc and website for updates and reinstall ATI drivers, etc. But as I was checking things out maybe 15 minutes had expired and the system suddenly shut down. No beeps or blinking lights. I tried powering on again and the CPU fan spun for a second and then nothing. The onboard power and reset button are lit. I tried resetting the power bar. Same thing. I removed the CMOS battery and tried clearing the CMOS but same thing. I can't get a boot now. Every once an a while I can get a spin from the cpu fan and its LED light but then it shuts off. I'm trying to figure out a way to reset the mobo so I can at least get into the BIOS. If I can do that I'll do a clean install of Windows.

Thoughts? Maybe the mobo or CPU is dead already?
Surface Pro 128GB
Old December 26, 2009, 09:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hm that not cool my friend:( I think you will have to mount it back out of the case and do some trouble shooting. If you remove memory do the mobo beep ( if there is a PC speaker ). Sorry for the issue you run in. Wewill help you find out what went wrong.

Martin_metal_88

Old December 26, 2009, 10:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I removed the memory and no beeps. I did read in the manual about due to Intel spec limitations DDR 3 1600 is only supported as a single DIMM on each channel. That freaked me out a bit as I have 4 DIMMs. But then on the next page after all the RAM compatibilty listings, the manual states that DDR3 1600 is supported as double DIMMs on both channels. So hopefully that negates my thought of the memory being the issue.

I've now unpowered the computer and removed the cmos battery and will attempt troubleshooting in an hour or so. If I can't get resolution by Monday I guess I'll RMA the mobo first. Not sure if the CPU is at fault yet since the HSF won't even spin up.
Surface Pro 128GB