Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Saving the OS and Installed Apps (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/26784-saving-os-installed-apps.html)

Signal2Noise December 18, 2009 09:30 AM

Saving the OS and Installed Apps

Current rig in sig will be getting an overhaul come christmas time. A Core i5 750, ASUS P7P55D EVO mobo, and 4 sticks of 2GB G. Skill DDR3 ram are in the works. Hard drives, vidcard and everything else will remain the same.

I am debating whether to do a clean install, which I normally do, or attempt to ninja-swap the hardware out in order to keep the o/s and apps/games intact which I've never done before. I had just installed Win7 64-bit a couple of months ago and have everything the way I like. I've perused the forums and www on mobo swapping w/o re-installing Windows but either the info is dated or just not detailed enough.

Thoughts & advice appreciated.

MeDS December 18, 2009 09:36 AM

I like the clean install option. Drivers are new this way. But if you get knowledge on how to hotswap that'd be the way to get since you have it setup the way you want. I've never hot swapped but sounds a little tricky.

martin_metal_88 December 18, 2009 09:38 AM

Windows 7 will survive the part swapping like that. Don't worry with that, you will have to update driver on the first boot to make everything work like a charm but nothing more to do. You can also delete driver before changing the component that would be nice. This was not possible with XP but vista make it possible and 7 just keep it.

Sagath December 18, 2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise (Post 304145)
Current rig in sig will be getting an overhaul come christmas time. A Core i5 750, ASUS P7P55D EVO mobo, and 4 sticks of 2GB G. Skill DDR3 ram are in the works. Hard drives, vidcard and everything else will remain the same.

I am debating whether to do a clean install, which I normally do, or attempt to ninja-swap the hardware out in order to keep the o/s and apps/games intact which I've never done before. I had just installed Win7 64-bit a couple of months ago and have everything the way I like. I've perused the forums and www on mobo swapping w/o re-installing Windows but either the info is dated or just not detailed enough.

Thoughts & advice appreciated.

It'll work. You'll just have alot of fluff left over. Make sure you put the latest intel INF's on your PC before the swap. A fresh reload is still your best solution. And if you start running into issues, you'll likely have to reload it anyways.

Arinoth December 18, 2009 10:28 AM

I would recommend going with the fresh install since there is less likely-hood of things going wrong (ie windows snagging the wrong drivers for something new, or driver conflict from old system and new system)

kingnubian December 18, 2009 11:17 PM

+1 for a fresh install.

Signal2Noise December 19, 2009 02:15 AM

tks, everyone. Methinks I'll stick to the tried & true way with a fresh install.

Cheers!

MarkOne December 19, 2009 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 (Post 304149)
.....but nothing more to do........

may be a little, very little call to Microsoft for the activation, they like when we give news :whistle:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise (Post 304507)
tks, everyone. Methinks I'll stick to the tried & true way with a fresh install.
Cheers!

i's always the best, and you will at same time make a good cleaning and defragmentation :thumb: