Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16, 2009, 09:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

Lightbulb Circumstances made me abandon the lanbox...

So I came up with Project: Overkill!

Yes I know it's not Core i9 but it was supposed to have been

So the word (Officially) came to me this week, personal electronics won't be allowed when I'm at CFSCE, which would have put a damper on my spirits not having a nice little gaming rig with me. The lanbox would have been fun of course, but now the reality is when I get posted, do I want a lanbox sitting around or would I prefer something a bit more...pimped? That was easy to answer So my E8400/Biostar i45 will be moving into a nice position as the fileserver for our household and I shall instead (After saving for approximately the 12 months I'll be in various places around the country) build this insane beast which screams Cry havoc and let loose the dogs of war!

Now just in case the parts end up putting me close to the end budget, I'm prepping to re-use my HAF 932, however I'm going to be sanding and repainting it with a gloss coat on the inside, matte seems to like to chip on me for some bloody reason There will most likely be some sleeving done on the top panel connectors since they're ugly and stand out like a sore thumb, slowly driving me completely insane; I'd love to do a window panel mod but I don't have the time to check out enough of the worklogs of other people so my attempt wouldn't look like FrankenHAF. I'll also be reusing my 60GB OCZ Vertex, I'm just going to grab a 2nd drive for RAID 0 due to needing more space, not necessarily for speed requirements.

Guts to Purchase
Intel Core i7-980X
6 cores, 12 threads, overkill? YOU BETCHA. But I've taken some long reads about it, and it should be fun to play with. Plus it's about time I treat myself to an enthusiast toy.
ASUS P6X58D Premium X58 Motherboard
Native Gulftown support, lots of bells and whistles, looks sharp and I've always had solid performance from Asus.
3x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 CL 7-7-7-20
RAM. Tends to be a necessity when building a computer.
XFX NVIDIA GTX 380
They'll be here by the time I'm buying. MAY look into a GTX 360 instead, I'll see the performance numbers down the road.
Corsair HX1000
Overhead. In addition to the GTX 380 I'm planning on having 2 GTX 260's folding 24/7 on this bad boy.
60GB OCZ Vertex
Second drive for RAID 0 due to needing more space. Slightly cheaper than just buying a whole new larger capacity SSD.

WC Gear to Purchase
Hardware Labs Black Ice SR1 240 (2)
These are the only dual rads I've been able to find which can both fit internally without annoying mods having to be done to the case. (1 up top the other in the 5.25" bay area)
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120MM (4)
Fans for the rad.
EK X-Top (D5)
Want to get my pump a top for some nice fittings, those built in barbs piss you off after a while.
EK Supreme - Acetal
Nice performance. And it looks attractive to boot. I was thinking plexi but I only use distilled these days, not exciting to look at that.
EK FC 380 - Acetal
Whatever EK will call their block for the Fermi series.
Primoflex UV Blue 1/2"ID Tubing
Should mix nicely with the overall color of the board.
Fittings
By my count I'll need around 10 45 degree rotary, 1 90 degree rotary and a lone straight Compression Fitting. Expensive? Unfortunately, but hey, I want the nice clean look they provide.

Recycled Stuff
60GB OCZ Vertex
Gonna mate this baby with another drive for some more space.
MCP655
Still works fantastic. No reason to switch it out.
EVGA GTX 260 216 SC
Tossing it into a spare PCIE slot, for folding. Eventually will get it a mate so 2 can crunch all the time.
Razer Lachesis
Comfy, use it until it dies.
Edifier 5.1 speakers
Not an audiophile, these work good enough for me.
UV Cathodes
I think I have a couple of pairs in my box of random computer stuff downstairs.

Need Suggestions For
24ish Inch Monitor
Probably will end up being a Dell U2410, but who knows.
TV Tuner Card
Something that doesn't hate 64Bit Windows and more than 4GB of RAM would be ideal here. I'll be smashing my Hauppauge when I have a replacement for it.
UPS's
I'll be needing a couple of new UPS's once I get moved, one for the file server and 1 for this Demon. Any suggestions?

The Loop
This afternoon I spent some time checking measurements since I needed to decide on a decent way to get cooling in there and I did absolutely want to keep it internal, after going through a bunch of dimensions for nearly every 240 Rad in the books, I came across the SR1 which is my new choice. I can fit 2 internally if I remove my DVD drive from the bays (Not a big deal since I only use the damn thing around twice a year) Feel free to enjoy my uber 1337 paint skillz.

That's all for now folks!

Side Note:
I did have to bribe the wife for permission to get this build, though it wasn't too bad. All I have to do is get her a netbook and give her a few TB of space on the file server. That is what I call a Dam Good Deal for me
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown

Last edited by Neolithium_Wpg; December 16, 2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old December 17, 2009, 05:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

Lanbox would have been nothing compared to this. Congrats on being allowed even if it took bribery. Good luck in school! Can't wait to see it, and how much it changes in 12 months too!

Old December 17, 2009, 07:23 AM
Allstar
F@H

Thanks misterd! I'm hoping not a great deal will evolve, though I'm expecting that the motherboard will probably be switched out and the video card is going to be up in the air for quite some time. What a time figuring out the bloody budget trying to prove to the wife we wouldn't need to eat cat food after I bought something like this though!
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown

Tags
gulftown , insane , overkill