Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 15, 2009, 08:09 PM
Rookie

Default Keep my New Purchase or return and build new

PLEASE when POST threads asking for input on system builds tell us...

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Editing large photos, video editing, Surfing the internet, media center for videos, photos, audio, etc., general purpose excel, word, office related stuff.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
Ideally, less than $1500, but would consider up to $2000 if necessary.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
Nothing really, maybe Intel, nVidia.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
None

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
General research, but find model numbers etc difficult to keep track of for comparitive purposes.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Probably not overclocking, but if possible, why not?

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Immediately

Okay - so here's the story. I've been talking about getting a new PC to replace my Pentium III 866 from 7-8 years ago, and I'm finally ready for the move. I'm an engineer, and fairly tech savy, but never built a computer from scratch. I've got a friend who's into computers big time, and is very informed on all the latest hardware part. So he was in a Future Shop and calls me to tell me he just saw a Dell Studio XPS with some decent specs. It came with an i7 920 Intel processor, 8 gigs of DDR3 ram, ATI Radeon HD4670 video card, 1 T hard drive, Vista Home Premium. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post prices etc. (apology in advance), but I paid $1000 for the computer alone plus tax (Ontario). So I figured, for a $1000, I'm getting an i7 920 machine with lots of ram, and lots of HD space.

Let's just say, I'm not "blown away". This computer is fine, but I haven't said to one person yet "you have got to see my new computer!"

So I come here for a second opinion (No offence to my buddy if he reads these forums, and figures out this is me).

I've already been to Tiger Direct, and the guy there made me feel about "this big" when I told him about my new Dell machine. He said (and I may not have quoted him correctly), for starters since it has 8 gigs of DDR ram, it's only dual channel ram that isn't optimized for an i7 920 processor. He said that I should definitely get triple channel ram. Then, also if it's got 8 gigs of ram, that could very likely mean it's not on a mobo that's designed specifically for the i7 architecture, so basically, it's probably a piece of crap mobo. Then, the video card is only two years out of date, etc, etc, etc.

I'm largely uninformed, so I can't comment one way or the other, but he's certainly got me thinking. He put together a quote with all sorts of goodies including OS (Vista Home Premium $200) and assembly ($125), which came to a grand total of $1550 or, plus tax (total was $1780 or so).

Anyhow, I'd like to hear opinions on what you'd do. I have 30 days to return my Dell, which I'm 100% certain I am going to do. And then of course, your opinions of what to build.

Thanks,
John
Old December 15, 2009, 08:33 PM
Banned
F@H

First of all I will run away from a guy who want to sell you a Vista premium, I will not bash vista here, it's the premium that may be too much. a home edition will be probably enough, but if he said your card is 2 years too hold. now its Windows 7 time, not Vista , For your Dell I presume you can update to 7 for free , you can change also the 4670 and the power supply if need, and you can also simply return it if you can. But stay away from salemans ask here, we don't make money with what we suggest to you

and welcome on board
Old December 15, 2009, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
we don't make money with what we suggest to you
could not have said it better. with custom computers you should be paying for knowledge not getting ripped on your parts. and if your not happy and think you can build it yourself then do I think you will be much more happy with it. and pumping vista know sounds like a sales pitch
( i charge 50$ under 1000$ and 10% over that they pick and pay for there own parts so they get to see what there paying for )thank charlie3.0 ha ha it works well
Old December 15, 2009, 09:00 PM
Rookie

Okay - so let's get started on a new build (provided you think I SHOULD return the Dell). I'm okay with either an AMD build or an Intel build. It looks as though AMD get's many, many thumbs up.

As far as the OS goes, I don't fully understand the implications of what you're saying, but I don't really need to understand. You're right, Windows 7 is here. That's it... then what version?

Let's here it for a nice build. I'd like a case that's no bigger than a smallish midsize. I'm the type of user that doen't upgrade parts (almost at all), and keep my computers for quite some time. That's sort of why I sort of go BIG. But.... I see another thread on the go asking for opinions on just that. Go big, or go budget and upgrade. I was surprised to hear how many said go budget.
Old December 15, 2009, 09:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya you got it 7 is here why go with old stuff like vista ( I still run it on my gaming rig 7 on my htpc )
I just found this great package deal http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...deal-nice.html
link for DIY Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Old December 15, 2009, 09:16 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Hey Hackzaw welcome to the forums! What are you planning on using this rig for? Also what kind of display are you using? Just a couple of questions to lay the ground work here............

Old December 15, 2009, 10:07 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtGF View Post
Hey Hackzaw welcome to the forums! What are you planning on using this rig for? Also what kind of display are you using? Just a couple of questions to lay the ground work here............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackzaw View Post
1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Editing large photos, video editing, Surfing the internet, media center for videos, photos, audio, etc., general purpose excel, word, office related stuff..
John

Old December 15, 2009, 10:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
First of all I will run away from a guy who want to sell you a Vista premium, I will not bash vista here, it's the premium that may be too much. a home edition will be probably enough,

Vista home premium.... is ... err... nevermind

(everyone skip his post, please)
Old December 15, 2009, 10:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Do NOT go for a $200 Vista Home Premium. Windows 7 is quite a bit better than Vista, and an OEM version of it is $130

You could fit an X58 based build into that budget, but I'm wondering if you'd be better of with a P55 build. It can be quite a bit cheaper.
Old December 15, 2009, 10:29 PM
Banned
F@H

first the OS, Win7 home premium , 64 bits since you make large editing, you have 2 choice a I7-920 or a I7-860, they are the same price, the motherboard of the 920 will cost more but you will have 3 chanels of memory

here a sugestion, you still need memory and a video card , if you are over budget you can go I5-860

Intel Core i7-920 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
Item #:N82E16819115202
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
-$10.00 Instant
$319.99

$309.991
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
Item #:N82E16832116754
Return Policy: Software Return Policy
$121.99
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #:N82E16813128413
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$369.99
Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2R5 2.5" MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD)
Item #:N82E16820167023
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
$319.00
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drives -Bare Drive
Item #:N82E16822136284
$114.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
Item #:N82E16817139006
-$30.00 Instant
$20.00 USD Mail-in Rebate
$179.99

$149.99Grand Total:$1,385.95

for the case this one

NCIX.com - Buy Lancool PC-K62 Black ATX Advanced Mid Tower Case 5X5.25 4X3.5INT No PS USB Audio - PC-K62 In Canada.

it's very dust free.