Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 15, 2009, 10:36 AM
Rookie

Default First rig, any help appreciated :)

So, this is my first time building a computer and I'm looking for some input from the wise minds here at HWC (flattery, gotta love it ). It'll mostly be used for gaming and simple multi-media (basic video editing, nothing too fancy). I'm also on a bit of a budget and I'd rather try and stick in the $700-800 range.

A part on my list is already locked in as I managed to get a pretty decent deal on it (I'll ** it), but any an all help would be appreciated!

CPU
Phenom II X3 720 $130

Motherboard
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO $100

RAM
G.Skil 4GB $100

Graphics
*EVGA GTX 260 core 216 $150* (got it a while ago, had a friend verify that it works)

Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black 640 GB $75

PSU
Corsair TX650W $90 (special on right now...)

Case
Lancool PC-K62 $130

Total: $775

Any suggestions would be most appreciated and I'm willing to cut a few corners(I have a feeling I don't quiet need that big a PSU, but its good for future headroom). Although its an awesome case, I may trade it down for something a little cheaper, and suggestions there would be appreciated as well.

Live long and prosper ;)
Old December 15, 2009, 12:32 PM
MVP

Overall that looks like a pretty solid rig. There are, however, several suggestions I would make.

First, Don't go for a 785G motherboard. Go for the M4A79XTD if you can. It's a better chipset. If lack of onboard graphics (as a backup or for a secondary monitor) concerns you, get a 790GX board.

There are a couple other cases in the price range that you might want to look at. The K62 is good, but so are a lot of other cases. Some worthy of note include: Storm Scout, Lexa S, HAF 922, Tempest EVO. If you can't tell I love CM and NZXT.

If you're planning to overclock (and if you're aren't, I'd advise you really consider it) get an aftermarket cooler now or at another time. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is a great one for cheap.

Since you already got the 260 I can't really advise you change it.

Other than that, everything looks great.
Old December 15, 2009, 01:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The 785g chipset is still a sick chipset, don't be downplaying it, it's more than capable.
Looks good though for the build, i think you might be able to price match it lower !
Old December 15, 2009, 05:47 PM
MVP

IMO it's good if you need good integrated graphics. However, if you're using discrete graphics the 790X or GX is the way to go.
Old December 15, 2009, 05:54 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
......... If lack of onboard graphics (as a backup or for a secondary monitor) concerns you,....

Since the OP have a 260, I will choose a board without build in GPU

Quote:
There are a couple other cases in the price range that you might want to look at. The K62 is good, but so are a lot of other cases. Some worthy of note include: Storm Scout, Lexa S, HAF 922, Tempest EVO. If you can't tell I love CM and NZXT.

K62 is very dust free friendly , The 922 is a dust collector, can say for the other I don't have them

Quote:

If you're planning to overclock (and if you're aren't, I'd advise you really consider it) get an aftermarket cooler now or at another time. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is a great one for cheap.

This is a very good cooler for the price
Old December 15, 2009, 08:44 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll definitely look into the options you suggested, though it will partially come down to what is readily available (namely on boxing day at a local store, but they have a good selection).
I hadn't considered overclocking, but I'll definitely look into it. I've heard the stock cooler for the CPU isn't that great so I was planning on getting a cheap aftermarket anyways. I also will probably go for the M4A79XTD, its not significantly more expensive and since I have a 260, I don't need an on-board GPU.
Also, I've been debating the K62 vs Tempest EVO for a while now, and which one I get will probably depend what they have in-stock

Thanks again! :)
Old December 15, 2009, 08:54 PM
MVP

Given the option between the Tempest and the K62, I'm just saying that I believe the Tempest has better airflow. Also, assuming they're the same ones on the Lexa S, the fans should be nearly dead quiet.

Also regarding overclocking, also look for how to enable the fourth core on the 720. I'm not entirely sure how to do it (something about turning on ACC), and there's no guarantee, but it'll cost you nothing, so it's worth a shot. Also, if you do this, I definitely recommend an aftermarket cooler.