Default First build

UPDATED!

Brand whoring in:

Processor: don't care, but atm... seems like intel is winning the game
Ram: Doesn't matter
Mobo: Gigabyte
Video card: doesn't matter
PSU: Antec Earthwatts

I think some of you might have seen me post a few threads in this topic before, and since I'm going to buy a computer next week or during boxing day, I would like to get some constructive suggestions from you guys about my build.

I am a casual gamer, I don't think I'll be able to play many games, however I'd like to have the ability to be able to play those games at a decent frame rate (like L4D2, Crysis, all those shooter games). I will also be using the computer to compute graphs, do models... all those 'fun' educational stuff.

I've also chosen the i5 because of the praise that it's gotten for efficiency, and performance... personally I think it's worth paying the premium to obtain this processor over getting the AMD equivalent. Same goes with the 5770.

My build is geared towards high energy efficiency, low cost, and decent frame rates. Also I am going to overclock the processor and graphics card sometime in the near future.

Currently have to buy:

Mobo: Gigabyte P55-UD4P ATX LGA1156 P55 DDR3 2PCI-E 3PCI-E1 2PCI RAID 2GLAN CrossFireX SLI Motherboard $188.99
Processor: Intel Core i5 750 Quad Core Processor Lynnfield LGA1156 2.66GHZ 8MB Cache Retail Box $244.99
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200RPM 32MB Dual Proc 3.5IN SATA Hard Drive OEM 5YR Mfg Warranty $81.23
Case: Antec Three Hundred Mini Tower Gaming Case 300 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB & Audio $78.98
Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 850MHZ 1GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDMI Display Port Lite Retail Video Card $189.99

Things I bought already:

PSU: Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan
RAM: G.SKILL F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO Eco PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL7-8-7-24 1.35V Memory Kit

--------------------------------------
Price: $11XX After pricematch: $8XX |
--------------------------------------

Things I've might on changing and adding:

- corei5 750 to core i7 860 (if this processor goes on sale)

- adding corsair h50 (because of limited air flow... and for aesthetics), convince me to not get this if you can =P

Things I'd like to know:

- What the difference between the xfx hd5770 and the one sapphire offers? (the sapphire one is cheaper by 10 dollars)

- What do I look for in ram? besides compatibility (doing some overclocking but nothing close to the enthusiast level)

- does adding another 5770 on to xfire increase performance enough to cover the cost of the new card? i.e. is it worth it? Or should I just downgrade to another p55 board that doesn't support SLI or Xfire?

Thanks guys, greatly appreciated for your help =)

Last edited by feerof; December 10, 2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old December 9, 2009, 09:23 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
- What the difference between the xfx hd5770 and the one sapphire offers? (the sapphire one is cheaper by 10 dollars)
I believe the xfx has a better warranty ( double lifetime, you + someone you might sell it too)

Quote:
- What do I look for in ram? besides compatibility (doing some overclocking but nothing close to the enthusiast level)
Timings and speed. Something like:
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Core I5 1.5V Memory Kit
Price: ($98.24) Is good ram for a good price. I doubt in everyday use that you'd notice too much between different ram timings/speeds, although I don't know my ram as well as I'd like so you might want a second opinion.

Quote:
- does adding another 5770 on to xfire increase performance enough to cover the cost of the new card? i.e. is it worth it? Or should I just downgrade to another p55 board that doesn't support SLI or Xfire?
That depends on you really. Personally when I got my first board I didn't bother getting SLI and now I regret it (more so because of folding though). Here is a link to some tests done with 5770 in x-fire, the performance looks quite nice. Getting a board with x-fire/sli is nice because down the line when you want to upgrade, the 5770's for example will have gone down in price, so you get a nice boost but without paying tons, I think that's a nice upgrade path to have.

Only other thing I'd change is the HDD, it's more personal preference but I like WD Caviar Blacks. Something like:
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200RPM 32MB Dual Proc 3.5IN SATA Hard Drive OEM 5YR Mfg Warranty
Price: ($72.97)

Edit: The TX750 is on sale right now at NCIX for 89.99 after MIR. Personally I'd get that over the Earthwatts, both good PSU but the TX750 is better.
Old December 10, 2009, 12:51 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the suggestion!

The thing is, the g.skill eco ram runs at 1.35 V, which is apparently very low... which is a reason why I'm getting it. Also because it's not red... LOL! I was thinking very hard on getting the ram that you suggested though. And as for the HDD, you're right, I hear the WD HDDs run better for the same price of a seagate equivalent.

As for the graphics card, ummm... currently xfx is out of stock, and i firmly believe they went cheap on something because... it's only a 5 dollar difference from the sapphire 5770 card... In other words, there are just too many benefits from a 5 dollar difference.

Great suggestions though! I will be changing the HDD.

Any more suggestions?
Old December 10, 2009, 02:15 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I'm curious as to why you are going for the low voltage ram, I'm not against it, I was just wondering what the benefits are. I found a unofficial review of them here on xtremesystems.org. Here's the conclusion:
Quote:
Semi-final conclusion:

G.Skill should not be apologetic or ashamed of this RAM. Its focus was never extreme OC- The kit was hyped up by the community. The binning point and maturity of DDR3 means the stock timings are do-able with existing ICs but high freq. operation is only a bonus. The stock vDIMM improvement IS a big jump over existing I7 RAM and the lower heat output is welcome for well-specced HTPC, media and gaming rigs. I might include power consumption numbers in time to come.

For hardcore overclocking and benching... look elsewhere. Anyone heard of that Ripjaw or Trident series? :p That stuffs value for money!
Since you can get 1.6v ram for $110 with the exact same timings, I wouldn't pay $140 for the 1.35v stuff, but since it's on sale for $110 as well, you probably can't go wrong either way.

As for the 5770, I don't think there is any differences between brands at the moment, i.e (Sapphire and XFX). Since the card is still new, I believe every company is using the same reference coolers, same clocks, same everything except they stick their own brand logo on the card. The Sapphire card right now is on for $180 which isn't bad but its a "lite" card which according to the NCIX forums:
Quote:
Historically it means, its just the video card and required parts. Like a dvi to vga, drivers or something. No retail goodies, like free games.
I don't actually know what the difference is then between that card and the XFX, because at this point I didn't think any of them come with "retail goodies".

Regardless of the which RAM you go with and which video card brand you choose, it should be a good build either way.
Old December 10, 2009, 02:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Your build looks cool. I would stick with the corsair PSU (Really just because I like Corsair allot) But I have also seen good reviews on the Antec Earthwatt's PSU. But you said you want us to convince you not to get the Corsair H50 but I think that is a great cooler (Based on Reviews) For your system. I would think that cooler would be fine for quite a decent over clock - More than adequate to provide cooling for some light gaming. It is also so easy to set up and just $89AUD (Australian Dollars). I really like that cooler.

Good Luck with your build.
Old December 10, 2009, 02:40 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Hey fox

I just bought the corsair tx750 (got persuaded by the saleman... I'll take it as a learning experience) and I also bought the ram. I'm not doing extreme overclocking, nor am I doing much overclocking... LOL so I think that justifies buying that ram. I just want a computer that runs as efficiently as possible =P, thus this is why I am going for the 5770 rather then the gtx260 or hd4890.

Apparently, according to the salesman, the XFX 5770s chipsets aren't that great when comparing to the sapphire chips... so... all in all the quality of sapphires card is greater then the card XFX is providing.

Thanks toker! You helped me justify buying the tx750, and thanks for the support on the corsair h50

Just decided to add this:

The salesman also said "5770 will fit in the antec 300 board... but it will barely fit" and I'm going ... wtf? I mean he could be right about that, but seeing some reviews online tell me that he's kinda bs-ing.

From this site:

Quote:
Of course, length is less of a problem on a card such as the 5770 because it's shorter than the width of a typical ATX motherboard (30.5cm by 24.4cm).
Which makes me wonder the credibility of the salesperson... Just saying...

Last edited by feerof; December 10, 2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old December 10, 2009, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Spend enough time on HWC and you'll not require the opinions of "salesmen"...remember..they simply want to sell you whatever it is they can make a profit on......
HWC is the place for all your answers! Goodluck with the build.

Old December 10, 2009, 04:46 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^ Spend enough time on HWC and you'll not require the opinions of "salesmen"...remember..they simply want to sell you whatever it is they can make a profit on......
HWC is the place for all your answers! Goodluck with the build.
Naw, I've been looking at my build for awhile, and HWC did help a lot... but... i have a slight tendency to just fall apart when someone is persuading me LOL! take it as a mental disability... LOL!

Any more suggestions?
Old December 10, 2009, 06:28 PM
MVP

My main recommendation would be to not get an Antec 300, or any of their gaming cases. I've got the 900 and I don't like it at all, and from what I can see the 300 is even worse.

My recommendation would be the NZXT Beta EVO, Gamma, or M59, then adding a couple fans for increased airflow. This can, of course, be done at a later date.
Old December 10, 2009, 07:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
My main recommendation would be to not get an Antec 300, or any of their gaming cases. I've got the 900 and I don't like it at all, and from what I can see the 300 is even worse.

My recommendation would be the NZXT Beta EVO, Gamma, or M59, then adding a couple fans for increased airflow. This can, of course, be done at a later date.
I fully agree, these cases are ALOT better value for the money.