Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Hyper 212+ Mounting Question (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/26383-hyper-212-mounting-question.html)

DkRk December 9, 2009 09:25 AM

Hyper 212+ Mounting Question

Hi guys! So I've got this new system in the works, which has a Phenom 955, MSI 790FX-GD70 and the case for it is a CoolerMaster HAF 922. The Hyper 212 is in the mail, so right now I'm looking at the best way to mount it to keep my system cool.

Would it be the typical 'East-West' configuration that sends heat out the back or 'North-South' with the heatsink sending the heat out the top? The 922 does not have a side fan to send air in, so I'm thinking the 'East-West' is probably the way to go. Just in case this matters, the Hyper 212 will only have the one fan because I'm not aiming to overclock much at the moment.

I'd appreciate any help or opinions. :)

Fox December 9, 2009 12:58 PM

I'd say if your not overclocking that you'd see a very minor temp difference if any when going being orientations. Although if I remember, the 922 has a 200mm on the top and 120mm at the back, so going North-South and venting it into the 200mm would probably be your best bet. I'd be surprised if it made a difference though.

martin_metal_88 December 9, 2009 01:07 PM

Well, est-west is always the best. N-s will only make the Hypper suck the hot air from your video card.

CMetaphor December 9, 2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 (Post 299392)
Well, est-west is always the best.

Proof? Oh right!... you have none.

Fox December 9, 2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 (Post 299392)
Well, est-west is always the best. N-s will only make the Hypper suck the hot air from your video card.

Actually, although I can't find any tests to confirm it, from other peoples reported results, when the heat pipes are parallel to the ground, people seem to feel that there is a 1-2 degree temp drop.

Quote:

On my Vendetta 2 (and with a TRUE) I found I got better results by about 2C across the board when the HSF fan was parallel to the floor. Mostly because liquids don't have to wick uphill.
Quote:

I installed my Xigmatek S1283 horizontally last time, having read about the N-S and E-W speculation. Load temps seems to be 2c lower, which is nice for my B3.
Both found here.

Seems to be the belief that it cools better as water doesn't 'pool' in the bottom of the U-shaped heat pipes.

miggs78 December 9, 2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DokkRokken (Post 299274)
Hi guys! So I've got this new system in the works, which has a Phenom 955, MSI 790FX-GD70 and the case for it is a CoolerMaster HAF 922. The Hyper 212 is in the mail, so right now I'm looking at the best way to mount it to keep my system cool.

Would it be the typical 'East-West' configuration that sends heat out the back or 'North-South' with the heatsink sending the heat out the top? The 922 does not have a side fan to send air in, so I'm thinking the 'East-West' is probably the way to go. Just in case this matters, the Hyper 212 will only have the one fan because I'm not aiming to overclock much at the moment.

I'd appreciate any help or opinions. :)

A HAF 922 has an exhaust fan on top and on the back of the case.. I would suggest you try both methods and use the one that works out best in your case.. Both ways hot air will escape.. Plus these Phenom's don't run as hot as the Core i7's.. Usually (and it's not the best) but the most suggested or used method is East-West, although I've seen many North-South orientations too.. As I said, the only real way to know is to try both, try both on a good 4-8hr cpu stress test, and them compare the load temps to see what works better, idle temps should be looked, but load is all that matters.. That's my 2 cents.. :thumb:

Raserei408 December 9, 2009 05:15 PM

I'm inclined to think air flowing up would work better since as the air is heating it wouldn't rise and slip out the sides of the heatsink. Also, I've heard you can decrease temps by covering the sides (spaces between fins and between the HS and fan) with electrical tape, since it funnels all the air through the fins. I haven't done it yet, but I might at some point and check for temp changes.

Soultribunal December 9, 2009 05:26 PM

Depending on where you VC is and how hot your NB gets I would suggest East-West to Minimize Heatsplash from either.

Heat is going to leave either way and the couple of degrees you would gain by NS orientation you might lose if the VC gets too hot.

My thoughts, I've done it with two of my coolers.

ST

DkRk December 9, 2009 11:12 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I'll probably do the standard 'East-West' configuration, until I catch the tweaking bug later in the new year. Those links above were also very helpful. :)

sswilson December 10, 2009 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miggs78 (Post 299456)
A HAF 922 has an exhaust fan on top and on the back of the case.. I would suggest you try both methods and use the one that works out best in your case.. Both ways hot air will escape.. Plus these Phenom's don't run as hot as the Core i7's.. Usually (and it's not the best) but the most suggested or used method is East-West, although I've seen many North-South orientations too.. As I said, the only real way to know is to try both, try both on a good 4-8hr cpu stress test, and them compare the load temps to see what works better, idle temps should be looked, but load is all that matters.. That's my 2 cents.. :thumb:

You are correct in that they don't run as hot as the i7s, but they're also a lot more sensitive to high(er) temps when it comes to overclocking them, and it seems like the latest batches of 955s (I've got two of them) run excessively hot (right on the edge with stock cooling) so a couple of degrees either way might make a big difference.