Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9, 2009, 04:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Need opinion on a system

Sorry, its probably not a system I'll build because of budget.

My aunt wants to give my cousin a computer(desktop or laptop). My cousin currently does not have any computer, does not have the Internet, but based on what my aunt said, she will be getting it to use with the computer.

The computer's purpose is to be used to surf the Internet and probably that is all. It would be nice if it wasn't too big because she shares an appartement therefore room is limited. The budget seems to be quite limited, but not sure on how much much it is yet.

I have been thinking about a few things.

1. Netbook
2. Cheap laptop
3. All-in-one such as this
4. Used desktop

I like less the last option because its usually bulky and all.
Will come later to add more details as needed.
Old December 9, 2009, 05:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
Sorry, its probably not a system I'll build because of budget.

My aunt wants to give my cousin a computer(desktop or laptop). My cousin currently does not have any computer, does not have the Internet, but based on what my aunt said, she will be getting it to use with the computer.

The computer's purpose is to be used to surf the Internet and probably that is all. It would be nice if it wasn't too big because she shares an appartement therefore room is limited. The budget seems to be quite limited, but not sure on how much much it is yet.

I have been thinking about a few things.

1. Netbook
2. Cheap laptop
3. All-in-one such as this
4. Used desktop

I like less the last option because its usually bulky and all.
Will come later to add more details as needed.
don't do cheap all in ones or cheap laptops.. and personally i HATE netbooks... go for a used desktop.. to be honest... never be cheap on a computer system.. but if its not an option then a used desktop is good
Old December 9, 2009, 05:12 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Have you looked at the new "Zino HD" from Dell? If you're going to buy a pre-built I'd say it's probably the best in your price category.

-Very Small
-Can come with a Dual-core X2 or low power "e" type processor (Either is more powerful than an Atom)
-Has integrated 3200 Graphics, so it's quite capable for HD videos and even very light gaming.

http://www1.ca.dell.com/ca/en/home/desktops/inspiron-zino-hd/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-zino-hd&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&~ck=mn
Old December 9, 2009, 06:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I had never looked at the Zino, but I'll take note of it. How is the 2650e for a processor, how would it compare with other CPU such as a P4 or an Athlon X2 ?

For the laptop option, there is always the option of going used, but I am unsure if that is within the budget, but this system is of interest even tho it is WAY overkill.
On the cheap side of laptop, this is also an option from Acer.

Other than that, I would probably look at a 10.1" netbook as a minimum. As I said, her purpose is very limited.

I am trying to get a better idea for myself (I obviously already have one) and then I will take my aunt to a local FS or BB so that she can see the different options and then I guess I will choose a model based on her budget (I am expecting something in the 400ish with a marked preference for lower).

Edit: thinking of it, I think she plays some flash games sometimes, but that's it.
Maybe I'd go as high as considering something like this Compaq laptop.

Last edited by Kilauea; December 9, 2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old December 9, 2009, 06:38 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Go for a used Desktop, I don't mind a sturdy work laptop with the option of being able to do some light gaming on it (Even though you won't be doing that) But Netbook's annoy me for some reason lol. I bought my little sister one and she is constantly asking me to fix it because she is not careful with them (It's fairly easy to be "to rough" with a Netbook IMO) The main problem I have with them would be the Key's they are often really delicate little things that brake really easily. With a Desktop you could get quite allot out of it, it should have a nice sturdy key board (Yes those keys really get to me, They are a real pain to put back in lol) The desktop should also be a bit faster as well.. I would have thought so anyway. Well that is my two cents, Good luck on your decision!
Old December 9, 2009, 06:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry to add information down the road, but I just thought of this. My cousin is more a fan of TV than Internet and if I am correct, she still uses a VCR, so maybe an HTPC with the possibility to record directly from TV would be a good thing; however, it would need to be simple to do because her knowledge is limited. I wouldn't mind building her a PC, but I fear we'd break the bank.

Anyway, this is just another piece of information which I am debating with.
Old December 9, 2009, 01:52 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

actually zino's price is very attractive for a full system with windows included(for a computer novice I strongly recommend protection and windows update). The only issue is I can forsee it's close to not possible for expansion.

I would be very against netbook/atom machine.. although it has a screen and small.... it's way too underpower for anything, sometimes even surfing the web.