Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2009, 03:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Why use a SSD Or Fast HDD?

I am thinking of buying a SSD for my build because I am not sure but someone on YouTube told me that if you install the Operating System on a SSD your boot up time will be faster, Another person replied to him saying "It doesn't have to be a SSD it could be really fast normal Hard Drive also" Or something like that.. But I would much prefer ask you guys, Who so far have never sent me astray.

So what is the truth? Should I buy one of those tiny SSD cards just because they are super fast and will boot the OS quicker or is this just a opinion thing. I have seen some builds videos where people use them but don't say why so they must do something, what do they do?

Thanks for any help guys.
Old December 8, 2009, 03:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

I have a 60GB Vertex for my OS Drive, it's a noticeable improvement above mechanical drives. Definitely not looking back :)
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old December 8, 2009, 03:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

SSD's are much faster than any hard drives.
Old December 8, 2009, 03:50 PM
MVP

My System Specs

well.. i think a 10,000 RPM hard drive or an SSD would be better than a regular drive but definitely go with SSD... more reliable and faster than HD
Old December 8, 2009, 03:56 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
.....definitely go with SSD... more reliable and faster than HD

more reliable.... how you can say so.... I have 6 years old raptor that work like new one. They work 24/7 since the time I had them

Itís a long time I look to buy those SSD drive, if I donít do it until now itís not because of the price, itís because of the problem they have. They are Beta drive. They are in no way a final product. Iím building a new system with 2 velocirator in raid 0, I will achieve a similar results, except that I will not hassle with firmware and trim. Of course you have to back up raid 0 drive, in case of failure, but you have to back up more the SSD, in case of firmware failure, or lost of data after update . I will buy a SSD when I will not need to read hours and hours of forum to know what to do with them .

Old December 8, 2009, 03:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

SSD for sure, just look at some of the reviews here on HWC, compare the read speeds from any mechanic drive to a SSD, generally doubled. I'm always first in game, in any game with exception of when I play with ontariotl who also has one :)
Old December 8, 2009, 04:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well I was thinking more along the lines of have a small SSD with my OS on it (Windows 7) and thats about all, the other 3 drive bays I will just fill with the fastest 1TB Hard Drives I can find like those Seagate Barracuda one's. I didn't even know you could use SSD as a full hard drive I thought they were just the small 80GB max drives that you would find in Ipods.

EDIT: Holy , It will cost me $400AUD for just a 80GB SSD from Intel the X25 250MB's read speed with a 70MB's write speed. Insane. I think my HDD at the moment max write speed is 50MB's (Copied all of my movies from one HDD to another just a few hours ago) The general Speed for the movies to copy over was 50MB's. Looks like if I do buy one of these SSD things I will definitely be putting games and over programs that may benefit from the increased speeds on them to try and make it worth the cash.

Last edited by TokeR; December 8, 2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old December 8, 2009, 04:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokeR View Post
Well I was thinking more along the lines of have a small SSD with my OS on it (Windows 7) and thats about all, the other 3 drive bays I will just fill with the fastest 1TB Hard Drives I can find like those Seagate Barracuda one's. I didn't even know you could use SSD as a full hard drive I thought they were just the small 80GB max drives that you would find in Ipods.

EDIT: Holy , It will cost me $400AUD for just a 80GB SSD from Intel the X25 250MB's read speed with a 70MB's write speed. Insane. I think my HDD at the moment max write speed is 50MB's (Copied all of my movies from one HDD to another just a few hours ago) The general Speed for the movies to copy over was 50MB's. Looks like if I do buy one of these SSD things I will definitely be putting games and over programs that may benefit from the increased speeds on them to try and make it worth the cash.
I picked up a 60GB Vertex (around 210-220mb write I believe) for $200 a few months back, Canadian dollars (so similar to AUD right?). I guess you guys pay a premium though. WD Blacks are great reliable and quick drives, unsure whether they are faster than the Seagates.
Old December 8, 2009, 04:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post

more reliable.... how you can say so.... I have 6 years old raptor that work like new one. They work 24/7 since the time I had them

Itís a long time I look to buy those SSD drive, if I donít do it until now itís not because of the price, itís because of the problem they have. They are Beta drive. They are in no way a final product. Iím building a new system with 2 velocirator in raid 0, I will achieve a similar results, except that I will not hassle with firmware and trim. Of course you have to back up raid 0 drive, in case of failure, but you have to back up more the SSD, in case of firmware failure, or lost of data after update . I will buy a SSD when I will not need to read hours and hours of forum to know what to do with them .

You have a great point there so far from plug and play yet I think the speeds are great but there not for everyone.

Old December 8, 2009, 04:46 PM
MVP

Well, which you should buy is dependent entirely on your own agenda. First, can you afford an SSD? If not, go HDD. However, don't drop from an SSD to, say, a VelociRaptor, as 10,000RPM drives just aren't worth it anymore. An SSD will, obviously, be faster than even a fast HDD as a boot drive. This will result in faster OS loads and (if you put programs on it) fast program opening. However, the price / capacity ratio on SSDs is very high; lot of money for not a lot of space. Therefore, if you have a lot of programs to put on there and not a huge amount of money to spend, go HDD.

If you're also looking to increase general HDD capacity of your rig, take a hard drive. Even on your boot drive things open fast enough. It's good for programs too, since they'll open fast as well, and you can store a LOT more of them on a conventional HDD.

Which ever route you take, with your programs opening fast and your OS running on a quick drive, you can save money by buying slower drives for media - Caviar Greens cost less than Caviar Blacks, and if you only need to play a 480p video off of it you don't need speed for smooth playback. This is especially good if you're putting media in redundant RAID, since it saves a lot on the overall cost of the array (maybe $50 on a 2-3 disk array).