Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2009, 12:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question Corsair Obsidian 800 D Watercooled First Build

Hello all! This is my first post on this forum and im pretty new to this pc building stuff. I have bought the parts for my build and i am currently doing some measuring and sketching out what i want to do. Made a temporary picture and hope you guys could maybe shoot me some feedback on what you think. Apreciate any info on cooling parts i should change or layout of the stuff in the cabinet.

The computer will be overclocked a bit to about 3.6 and will be used mostly for gaming and multi media.
Here is a Parts list:
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage II Extreme, X58 Processor: Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-920 Memory: Corsair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz 6GB Video: PowerColor Radeon HD 5870 1GB LCS GDDR5 Factory mounted EK Waterblock HDD: 2 X WD Caviar® Black 1TB 3,5", SATA Raid 0 1 X Western Digital Caviar® GreenPower™ 1TB as backup PSU: Corsair TX 750W PSU Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D Sound: SupremeFX X-Fi - 7.1 surround Optical: Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-5240S Black Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 226 BW and a Syncmaster 930 BF OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

Cooling parts:
Pump: Laing ddc-1 pro with EK-DDC X-TOP-V2-AC
Radiator: Feser X-Changer 360mm
Reservoir: Swiftech Mcres-Micro Rev.2
Cpu Block: Swiftech Apogee GTZ
Fans Radiator: Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm Times 3
Fans Cabinet: Noctua NF-P14-1200 140mm Times 2 and Noctua NF-P12-1300 Times2
Fittings: 1/2" ID
Tubing: 1/2" ID Tygon
Attached Images

Last edited by Chaltharr; December 8, 2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old December 8, 2009, 12:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Should pick up a Heatkiller for that sexy chip.
Have you considered watercooling your board too?
Old December 8, 2009, 01:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't tried it, also correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can't change the 2 140mms fans for 120mms
Old December 8, 2009, 01:19 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I do not plan to watercool this board as i believe i would need a second radiator for that. i edited my post with a full parts list for both water and cabinet cooling. and the NF-P14 are 140mm fans.
Old December 8, 2009, 02:10 PM
MVP

Looks good. However, I wouldn't bother replacing the 140mm fans. The great thing about Noctua fans is that they cool well quietly, but you're putting them in places that don't require high static pressure, so the only advantage is that they might move air more quietly. If that's worth $50-75, be my guest, but I don't think it's worth it personally.

Also, as for your custom fan bracket, the radiator fans are gonna move a ton of air from those areas anyway, so it's not really necessary. I mean no offense, but for better or for worse, this design seems like a major exercise in overkill.
Old December 8, 2009, 02:38 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I have tried this Cabinet with aircooling only and i am not quite happy with the airflow. I believe the noctuas can move more air and still be very quiet.
Old December 8, 2009, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

There is a way to mod the Obsidian 800D to house a 240 (120.2) radiator at the bottom. If you where to do that you could add another loop for your motherboard, or just expand your loop. The mod can be found here: 800D Bottom Radiator Mod - Visual Guide - The Corsair Support Forums

I personally would use a ThermoChill PA120.3 w/ 3 Scythe Gentel Typhoons And would go for the HeatKiller CPU block as well. OR wait for the new EK Supreme HF (High Flow coming out)!!!

However, the TFC ones are good too.
Old December 8, 2009, 07:59 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
There is a way to mod the Obsidian 800D to house a 240 (120.2) radiator at the bottom. If you where to do that you could add another loop for your motherboard, or just expand your loop. The mod can be found here: 800D Bottom Radiator Mod - Visual Guide - The Corsair Support Forums

I personally would use a ThermoChill PA120.3 w/ 3 Scythe Gentel Typhoons And would go for the HeatKiller CPU block as well. OR wait for the new EK Supreme HF (High Flow coming out)!!!

However, the TFC ones are good too.

That is a very nice guide for the extra radiator but i do not want to do such a drastic change to the cabinet. I am hoping i will not have to watercool the board with the changed out and added fans i have sketched up.
Old December 8, 2009, 08:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Noctuas are junk for that.. Pick up some Sycthe Slipstreams for cheaper and better.
Old December 8, 2009, 09:10 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Noctuas are junk for that.. Pick up some Sycthe Slipstreams for cheaper and better.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but sleeve bearings bad mounted horizontally?

Tags
800d , corsair obsidian , watercooled