Old December 4, 2009, 11:48 PM
Rookie

Default First computer build (HELP)

1. Tasks: Gaming and 3d modeling/texturing

2. Budget - 1700-2100 or so

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from: Canada

4. Brand preference: none

5. Using current parts? Nope.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads: I've read many threads, and posted on various forums (anandtech and tom's hardware)

7. Overclocking: CPU for sure, possibly the GPU

8. WHEN do you plan to build it? End of Dec, early January if money flows like I believe it will

Okay so here are some of the parts I'm thinking of currently. All these prices are from newegg because (so far) they've been much cheaper than ncix.

proc: i7 920 - $304.99 Link

case: Haf 932 -$149.99 Link

ram: 6gb (3x2gb) ddr3 1600 corsair xms3 -$162.99 Link

MoBo: ASRock x58 LGA 1366 ATX Intel Motherboard -$199.99

Power supply: Corsair 850w -$169.99 Link
Theres 2 models for the corsair 850w, what are the big differences between the 2? I've listed the slightly cheaper one.

HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB -$94.99 Link

DVD drive/burner: Samsung 22x DVD+R -$34.99 Link

Total thus far: Around $1181 or so before rebates and taxes/shipping

Okay, so I'm hoping to run this bad boy on my tv, so at 1080p resolution (1920x1080 correct?). I want to be able to run any games I want to play at max settings with a great fps (such games include, Dragon Age, L4D2, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, and The Old Republic). Granted a lot of these are blizzard games so I probably won't have much to worry about there. As for the parts I really need help with, the cpu heatsink is the big one (thinking a Scythe Mugen 2, but it seems quite large, will it block anything on the mobo I've chosen?).

For a GPU I'm thinking the gtx 275 to start, with the possibility of another down the road. This PSU will support the SLI setup correct? I've read that it would, just want more opinions.

I previously had the ASUS p6t deluxe mobo, but there seemed to be a problem with 1600 DDR3 ram on the board when you wanted to have 12gb (which I eventually do). Also it didn't seem to add any functionality that the ASRock lacked (in fact I found the ASRock to be more robust to my untrained eye).

Possibly thinking of adding a smaller SSD drive for OS/important programs/certain games. But we'll see how it goes after everything else is picked out/priced.

Any advice you guys could offer would be great, and I'd really appreciate the help from my fellow canucks.
Old December 5, 2009, 12:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Your PSU will be fine for SLI 275's

Quote:
but there seemed to be a problem with 1600 DDR3 ram on the board when you wanted to have 12gb (which I eventually do)
There are usually "issues" OC'ing most Rigs running 12GB RAM ...not that it canot be done, just needs more tweaking to get it right. From my seat here...6GB on my Rig runs absolutely flawelessy...no need for more RAM, better off to invest that $$ into a SSD for your OS.

Have fun....

The two Corsair models are simply one being superior...the HX (for a number of reasons)
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair TX850W 850W CMPSU-850TX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX Active PFC 140M Fan Power Supply - CMPSU-850TX In Canada. - TX Model
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Professional HX850W 850W ATX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan - CMPSU-850HX In Canada. - HX Model

Also, see if you can find a WD Black instead of that Seagate Drive....I just picked up a 2nd WD 640GB Black for $68......thats 2 of those in my Rig now. If you don't need the "XP Compatibility Mode"...ditch the W7 Pro and get HP OEM...around $115....I'm running W7 HP x64 on 2 Towers and a Notebook, it is suffice.

Old December 5, 2009, 12:41 AM
Rookie

Ya the 12gb of ram is mostly for my 3d/2d stuff. Zbrush, XSI, and photoshop loves them some ram. Also on the PSU, the HX is that much better? $100 better? for $120 more I could snag a 1000w corsair.

I'll check out the WD HD, I have been hearing good things I'll admit :)

I was thinking of windows 7 prof just because of the added options. Is XP mode handy to have? What other benefits does the professional version have over the vanilla windows 7?
Old December 5, 2009, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes, the HX "Pro" model 850W is superior! Definitely worth it (then again I like nice HW)!
As for W7 Pro.....I don't have any Programs that W7 cannot handle.....Pro 7 difference is simply the XP Compatibility Mode ...thats it. If you use Programs that W7 can handle..you don't need it...simple really!

Old December 6, 2009, 01:22 PM
Rookie

Okay so I've picked out most my parts (think I'm gonna just go with the 1000w corsair, 20 bucks more over the 850w modular version). Should I just keep my eyes peeled for deals and order as I can? Wait for boxing day? Still need advice on what cpu cooler to get though. Again I'm thinking of going the Scythe Mugen 2 route, but the size concerns me. Also might get a beefier card if I do end up waiting till around boxing day (if any good deals pop up).
Old December 6, 2009, 01:35 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssandulak View Post
I'll check out the WD HD, I have been hearing good things I'll admit :)

+1 on that. Personally I think Seagate = Crap.
Old December 6, 2009, 01:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you buy from NCIX, your prices will drop by a bit after price matching and if you're out of BC, less taxes.

If you're playing Blizzard games, your GTX275 will be more than enough. However, you may consider getting a ATI 5850 too as they will destroy the GTX275. You have the money to spend so you don't have to worry about future games.

I'd switch the ASRock motherboard for a Gigabyte or ASUS.

Switch the cooler out for a Cooler Master Hyper 212+.

Have you considered the Core i7 850? The motherboards are cheaper and the performance is pretty much on par with Core i7 920.
Old December 6, 2009, 02:03 PM
Rookie

Hmmm I'll definitely look into the 5850 (so many benchmarks I've looked at :)). I did indeed look at the 850 and it's performance is good. I think the 920 beats it when it comes to the non gaming programs I'd be using (XSI, photoshop, zbrush, etc etc).

The Asus I looked at were more expensive and had some documented problems with the 12gb of ram (which a lot of boards do). They also offered nothing to justify me spending more on them. Gigabyte I haven't really looked in to, can you recommend a good mobo? I'll look them up myself to see what I can find.

I've been looking into cpu coolers as well and I've heard about the cooler master 212 a couple of times, I'll look into it again, thanks for the advice.

Ya I was looking at the NCIX price matching, and that is really a cool system. That way I can order more parts from the same place, save myself the hassle (could also pick it up since it's within driving distance).
Old December 6, 2009, 06:11 PM
Trial Member

My System Specs

As far as aftermarket coolers go you can't go wrong with XIGMATEK... low price and some of the best thermal performance out there!! I own 3 models (HTD-S964/s1283 Red Scorpio/Balder SD-1283 on my main rig) and they all perform like high -end coolers without the price!!!If you change the original fan and maybe a little lapping for the heatsink well it becomes a cooling beast!!! Here's an example: My rig hidle = CPU 1-4 avg.temp is 21-24 after 2-3 hours of gaming highest recorded temp is 41!!! and it goes back to hidle temps in mere seconds! check them out!

Last edited by ZeChicken; December 6, 2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old December 6, 2009, 06:43 PM
MVP

Even better is the Hyper 212 Plus. I've got a Xigmatek and it works very well, but the Intel push-pins suck. Hard. Not to mention on the HDT-S1283 the compatibility is terrible. Again, Hyper 212 Plus.