Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 4, 2009, 08:54 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Need advice badly!!

I had my computer delivered via ups i got it back in sore shape, and a few components need to be changed, unfortunatly i can't exactly give them my own estimate i had to bring my baby to the local computer tech, i just want to be sure that i get parts equivalent (for my performance needs more then price) to the ones im getting taken out due to damage, if you guy's could give me suggestions, or advice it would be veryyy much appreciated!

So my tower, a NZXT Tempest, was damaged and they want to replace it with a atc antec nine hundred two black

They also want to replace my current mobo a DFI LP LT X48-T2, this is where i really feel i'll need advice, to a asus p5e3 premium wifi x48 pcie.

All reply's are welcome,
Thanks,
Erik
Old December 4, 2009, 09:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well for the case it's almost the same thing but for the board...they are trying to get you! DFI is way better board! I would say no for the board for sure!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 4, 2009, 09:16 PM
Top Prospect

Where and when did you receive it? Didnt you have insurance on your order? I guess it could cover some of the dammage?
Old December 4, 2009, 09:27 PM
MVP

Well, based on reviews at TweakTown, the ASUS overclocked a fair bit better (30MHz FSB) though it consumed a lot more power (30-50W). Based on their reviews that ASUS won in every catagory besides value for money, which if it's being replaced for free is a non-issue. I don't know either board very well, but I've always trusted ASUS and have been skeptical of DFI (though unfairly so).

As for the case, they're very similar, but I'd consider the 900 V2 an upgrade from the Tempest if you like the look. You may want to add a side fan, though, to decrease GPU temps. If you like the looks, I'd say go for it.
Old December 4, 2009, 09:37 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by slay3r View Post
Where and when did you receive it? Didnt you have insurance on your order? I guess it could cover some of the dammage?
I received it like 3 weeks ago after ups finally got around to doing everything they asked me to get a quote on how much it would cost, there are a few other problems and parts being replaced but these two items were my principle concern, as for coverage im covered up to 1000$, and microbytes (the place im going to get it fixed at) is already charging me (ups) 900$ just to repair it clearly it's not worth it but if i have no choice on how to spend the money, i want the best products in return for the broken ones.

So, that being said, who can give me a definit answer as to which mobo is better, i know dfi has a better rep then asus, but asus seems, to be a little better because of its specs, they told me it might be better for me to stick with a x48 mobo, and that they only had the gigabytes model or the asus...

Again, i really appreciate all the help, i can't stand when computer repair shops try to take advantage of customers it's not cool at all lol.

And i don't suppose showing you guys my original build would hurt...

Manufacturer: Custom built by Widow..Corsair TX750 power supply
Processor: Intel Q9550 OC @ 3.5ghz 1600FSB with Noctura NH-U12p heatsink
Memory: 8GB of Patriot extreme viper series 6400 oc @850mhz
Hard Drive: 74GB Western Digital Raptor (Boot) 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black (storage)
Video Card: EVGA 260 GTX SSC 55nm
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar D2
Speakers/Headphones: Sennheiser Pc 350 G4ME
Keyboard: RAZER Lycosa
Mouse: RAZER Lachesis, RAZER Deathadder
Mouse Surface: Razer exactmat, Razer Destructor
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Motherboard: DFI LP LT X48-T2R
Computer Case: NZXT Tempest With NZXT Sentry Lx Fan Controller
Old December 4, 2009, 09:38 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I would favour the ASUS board. Unless you're a hardcore overclocker, the ASUS will be easier to overclock (if you're into that), easier to configure, and will be more user-friendly in general.

Keep in mind that the P5E3 uses DDR3 memory though, so make sure they give you some of that along with the board, or at least allow you to exchange your DDR2 memory for an equivalent set of DDR3 for use with the new motherboard.
Old December 4, 2009, 09:43 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

So.. Damn, the p5e3 is not even compatible with ddr2 memory?
Old December 4, 2009, 10:06 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

No, the P5E3 is DDR3-only.
Old December 4, 2009, 10:09 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Jesus i don't know what to say, you just saved me a lot of problems thanks!