Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2009, 12:20 PM
Rookie

i guess asus is out. but still, msi vs giga is hard to decide. for one, i love the dual bios from gigabyte but on the other side, the gigabyte is pratically not on sale at all. the MSI is on sale though, its saving me 60$+ before shipping and if i'm right then its suppose to oc better then the 790x-ud4p. however, it doesn't have dual bios so flashing is out of the question then i won't be able to use the x6 when they come out.

well, i got till dec 1 to decide, the msi and gigabyte are not on limited quantities so i'm good :). thanks all for the help. so far i'm leaning on MSI since its a 790fx chipset and is on a big sale compared to the 790x.
Old November 27, 2009, 02:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've used the gigabyte on a few builds now, and it works fantastic. It's also great for unlocking dual core chips to quad. (like the 550)

MSI's offerings are typically junk. I'm biased against them but those are my experiences with them.

I've also heard some horror stories on this board about MSI's warranty so that would seal the deal with me....
Old November 27, 2009, 05:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
well they mean that you are a pretty active member which is good:)
He may be an active member, but does he help the HWC community? Haha jokes jokes.

@OP. I say go for the MSI. It's a fantastic motherboard judging by the reviews I've seen. It's also the cheapest too You can probably hit 4+Ghz with either of those 3 combos though. Have you considered getting a Phenom II 720 or 550 BE then try to unlock it into a quad core? How about the Core i7 or i5 though?

Maybe you can answer the sticky and we can help you with your other parts too, if you need help.
Old November 27, 2009, 05:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I've used the gigabyte on a few builds now, and it works fantastic. It's also great for unlocking dual core chips to quad. (like the 550)

MSI's offerings are typically junk. I'm biased against them but those are my experiences with them.

I've also heard some horror stories on this board about MSI's warranty so that would seal the deal with me....

+1, I personnally never had good experience with MSI.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old November 27, 2009, 05:58 PM
Banned
F@H

You want my real feeling. I don't think that one of those board can be bad...so choose the one you like more

I never buy MSI, so can't say bad thing.... But since they look to have better product now I will give them a try if I have the chance .

The one who get very low in my balance now are the Intel. When I have a problem with a OS install , it's always an Intel. How many time the OS install crash, I do nothing just restart and it work... their driver install is not what we should expect from Intel. their chipset overheat too, bad thermal solution.