Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Tech Question About RAM Support (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/25918-tech-question-about-ram-support.html)

backpack November 26, 2009 01:05 AM

Tech Question About RAM Support

Hey I was wondering if someone could clear this up for me.
I've been getting a component list together for a new build and I always like to make sure everything should work great together.

I was checking to see if the
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Core I5 1.5V Memory Kit
was on the list of supported RAM on gigabytes website. always good to make sure. but for every gigabyte board i checked. it listed
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-2GBHZ PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit
as supported but not the ripjaws DDR3 1600.

Would this just be because of the huge variety of RAM out there and should i figure hey they support g.skill why wouldn't they support g.skill ripjaws. or are ripjaws for some reason no good on gigabyte boards.

be appreciated if you had something backing up your answer.
thanks.

Perineum November 26, 2009 01:12 AM

I never consult QVL lists. I just buy Corsair, Gskill, Mushkin, OCZ, or Kingston.

Never any problems.

However, I've used the Ripjaws on Gigabyte's 790 UD4P board a few times now, no problems.

MpG November 26, 2009 01:36 AM

You'll never see every single possible memory option on a motherboard's QVL - not practical, and really not worth their time.

Typically, what motherboard vendors do is verify a number of well-known, well-regarded brands in the process of their testing. This way, they know that there are lots of good choices out there, and they get a mild halo effect from their product being associated with the well-regarded product. Nobody cares whether Joe's el cheapo memory sticks work in your new $500+ EVGA Classified, but knowing that Corsair's 2000MHz+ Dominator GT sticks work... that matters to some people. And conversely, some of the premium price you pay for first-tier brands pays for the testing that the memory company did before shipping their product out for sale.

In your case, you're arguably taking your chances, even if the odds of problems are pretty darn small. There are a number of different companies making the chips that go into memory sticks, and there's no way of telling what's in each stick, even if they have the same official speeds. Some chips do occasionally have problems, although they tend to show up early on when they hit the market, and more often with early motherboard bios'. If it's a concern, your best bet is to try to search online for builds using the same hardware, and verify that it worked for those people. Beyond that, get them local, and verify that they can be returned if there's a problem immediately after installation.

backpack November 26, 2009 10:09 PM

Alright, thanks for the tips.
I researched some builds using the same hardware and all have had success other than damaged hardware or something unforeseen.
So I think I'm going to give it a go.
Thanks for the replies.

Perineum November 26, 2009 10:37 PM

It definately won't damage hardware, but it could possibly not work.

backpack November 27, 2009 12:31 PM

Well I still have a couple weeks before I actually buy the components so we shall see what happens with prices and such.