Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old November 25, 2009, 11:56 AM
Mark's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bolton, Ontario
Posts: 859
Question i7 920 motherboard choices.

There are so many choices even amongst Asus itinerary that it's difficult to choose.

Processor I'm buy ( unless someone thinks otherwise ) i7 920
Motherboard P6T. Or a crossfire alternative motherboard - giga-byte? Foxcomm?

What I'm looking for:

Holes on board to align with the my present 775 water block cooler and my understanding is that the P6T has two sets of wholes.

Fiber optic spdif audio output
Crossfire capable ( picking up the 5870)
Wanted to go solid state drives ( raid )
Good phase and capacitors for sure...will be overclocking and water cooling.
__________________



CHEERS

Last edited by Mark; November 25, 2009 at 12:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old November 25, 2009, 12:00 PM
martin_metal_88's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 4,175

My System Specs

Default

if you are searching for a price GA X58-UD3R is hard to beat. In the good board category you have GA-X58-UD5 and P6T. But comparing to the GA I think the asus have no chance. Morethen 350$ for a board is a waste of money I think.

NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte EX58-UD3R ATX LGA1366 X58 DDR3 2PCI-E 2PCI SATA2 RAID Sound GLAN CrossFireX Motherboard - GA-EX58-UD3R In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte EX58-UD5 ATX LGA1366 X58 DDR3 3PCI-E SATA2 Sound 2GLAN 3-WAY CrossFireX SLI Motherboard - GA-EX58-UD5 In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy ASUS P6T X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFire SLI SATA2 GBLAN Motherboard - P6T In Canada.
__________________
Ask for more

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old November 25, 2009, 12:05 PM
Mark's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bolton, Ontario
Posts: 859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post

I would like to go back to GIG but they don't have 775 wholes by the look of the picture
__________________



CHEERS
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old November 25, 2009, 10:04 PM
bkh2's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 265

My System Specs

Default

I have the Asus P6T x58 mobo. If you plan on watercooling the northbridge, you can forget getting this board (as far as I know). There are no waterblocks that are compatible with this board. There is a capacitor really near to the mounting hole on the northbridge heatsink, so there's no chance of mounting a waterblock. However, the Asus P6T is both SLI and Crossfire compatible IIRC.

As for the 775 mounting holes, I can confirm that there are two sets of holes; one for the customary 1366 coolers and I would assume the other pair is for LGA 775 (I can read my manual again to confirm if you would like).

Edit: I do agree, however, that this board is overpriced. I got it for $275 back in the day though. I personally wouldn't pay $320 for it though.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old November 26, 2009, 04:32 AM
Mark's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bolton, Ontario
Posts: 859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh2 View Post
I have the Asus P6T x58 mobo. If you plan on watercooling the northbridge, you can forget getting this board (as far as I know). There are no waterblocks that are compatible with this board. There is a capacitor really near to the mounting hole on the northbridge heatsink, so there's no chance of mounting a waterblock. However, the Asus P6T is both SLI and Crossfire compatible IIRC.

As for the 775 mounting holes, I can confirm that there are two sets of holes; one for the customary 1366 coolers and I would assume the other pair is for LGA 775 (I can read my manual again to confirm if you would like).

Edit: I do agree, however, that this board is overpriced. I got it for $275 back in the day though. I personally wouldn't pay $320 for it though.
Yes it's overpriced. It's around $249+tax. I'll keep looking but it looks like this is the only choice I have.
__________________



CHEERS
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old November 26, 2009, 04:48 AM
martin_metal_88's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 4,175

My System Specs

Default

775 does not matter? The I7 come with his own cooler and if you are planing to put aftermarket then get one for 1366. The cpu are bigger, if your cooler have been made for 775 most of the time you will have terrific performance. I see that you are watercooled so then you should buy a waterblock here on HWC instead of re-using the other one because of the CPU size.
__________________
Ask for more

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old November 26, 2009, 05:00 AM
Mark's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bolton, Ontario
Posts: 859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
775 does not matter? The I7 come with his own cooler and if you are planing to put aftermarket then get one for 1366. The cpu are bigger, if your cooler have been made for 775 most of the time you will have terrific performance. I see that you are watercooled so then you should buy a waterblock here on HWC instead of re-using the other one because of the CPU size.
I just looked at a picture...your right, the i7 is bigger and I thought it was the other way around!. I'll have to measure the bottom of my waterblock and see if it will work. Thanks!
__________________



CHEERS
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old November 26, 2009, 05:03 AM
martin_metal_88's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 4,175

My System Specs

Default

the problem is not that the waterblock wont fit over. It's because the the dissipating area is not big enough so it will cool down the middle of the CPU but not the side. it's like a wheel, she is large but only a part of it touch the road. BTW, what is your waterblock? if you have one that can do 1366 you will be good just get the mouting hardware at the same time you order the mobo.
__________________
Ask for more

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old November 26, 2009, 05:07 AM
Mark's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bolton, Ontario
Posts: 859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
the problem is not that the waterblock wont fit over. It's because the the dissipating area is not big enough so it will cool down the middle of the CPU but not the side. it's like a wheel, she is large but only a part of it touch the road. BTW, what is your waterblock? if you have one that can do 1366 you will be good just get the mouting hardware at the same time you order the mobo.
I'll find out but it's the EnzoTech SCW-1 rev 2.0. Great block!



Found out there is an adaptor. Thanks bud...now I'll look back at gig-byte
__________________



CHEERS

Last edited by Mark; November 26, 2009 at 05:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old November 26, 2009, 05:34 AM
martin_metal_88's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 4,175

My System Specs

Default

No prob, after seeing some post on the internet this block with the adapter seems to work good on coreI7 so I hope you will enjoy your new build;)
__________________
Ask for more

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
X58....too many choices.... lowfat CPU's and Motherboards 20 April 6, 2009 05:03 AM
System Choices.... cadaveca Off Topic 18 February 17, 2009 03:28 PM
Motherboard choices. SiDiX007 CPU's and Motherboards 8 August 23, 2008 02:46 PM
2 choices belgolas Video Cards 9 December 9, 2007 05:53 AM
Lian-Li, too many choices... Cardboard box with DSL Cases 10 September 27, 2007 08:33 PM