Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2009, 12:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Smile New To This.

Hey Guys, I got into PC Gaming a few years ago now and I have recently saved up enough money to buy and build my own Gaming PC. I am really excited I have been watching peoples builds on other forums and taught things like how to Overclock and Build my own Gaming PC.

I am just scared though because I don't know if now is a good time to buy and then the second I build my computer new parts come out like Nvidia's 300 series or something similar that I could have afforded but was not patient enough to wait so please give me your opinions on whether on not it is worth waiting.

Here is the build I have in mind.

CPU: Intel Core i7 975 Extreme Edition @ 3.33GHz - I will be OverClocking to 4.1GHz+ I will have to see what my max is when I get it.
GPU: Nvidia GTX 295 Co-Op Edition -I will get another one a few months after I buy this system to run in SLI with this one.
RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT @ 2000MHz High Speed Ram.
PSU: Corsair CMPSU 1000HX 1000Watt PSU
Mobo: EVGA X58 Classified Main board
HDD: 1x WD 300GB 10,000RPM 16Mb Cache, 2x WD 1TB 7,200RPM 32Mb Cache
Sound: Fatal1ty Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Champion Series
Cooling: CPU - I will water cool with a custom set up, Not sure whether or not to add the Graphics* cards to the water cooling loop but most likely leave them on stock cooling.
Case: SilverStone RV01B (Raven) - Look at it's beauty! YouTube - #1038 - SilverStone Raven RV01 Case Video Review
-Irrelevant -
Keyboard: Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Razer Gaming Mouse. -Don't remember the name lol.
Monitor: 24" Dell monitor - Don't know the name but it's the best monitor I have ever used.
Speakers: 5.1 Logitech Speakers.

So what do you guys think? should I wait for the 300 series and the next Intel chip I won't be able to get this set up until a bit after Christmas anyway.

Though I should also mention I am buying all of the parts from Amazon.com because I can not find any other internet shops that will ship to Australia, in fact I am not entirely sure if Amazon will ship all of those parts to me? Do they ship all the parts they sell internationally?

Thanks for any help guys!

Last edited by TokeR; November 24, 2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old November 24, 2009, 12:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well to be honest there is always new things coming in, just figure out what main thing you are going to be using your pc for then go from there. that is what I did . since I do a little gaming and allot more downloading tv episodes and some video converting I stuck with a dual core e8400 and a hd3870 that was last year and well to be honest it is still good for what I use my PC for I am going to install my nvid285 vidcard but thats about it .
Old November 24, 2009, 12:31 PM
Banned
F@H

Hi very interesting build .,..but the WC sound card.. did you see it some place ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokeR View Post
......Not sure whether or not to add the sound cards to the water cooling loop .......!
Old November 24, 2009, 12:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I use my PC for Gaming and allot of it. I also really like to have the best eye candy available. But I don't want to get myself a GTX 295 for $500 then the next week the GTX 300 comes out with twice the power and DX11 for $600. I would be quite mad at myself lol. But if the 300 series won't be out for a LONG time I don't really mind buying the 295's and then upgrading to 300 the next year or so.
Old November 24, 2009, 12:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
Hi very interesting build .,..but the WC sound card.. did you see it some place ?
Wow lol sorry no I must have had that in my head when I was typing I should have said WC Graphics cards lol.
Old November 24, 2009, 12:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You could easily go for the cheaper i7 920 and if its a D0 you could probably hit 4.1GHz fairly easy (with an aftermarket heat sink) and push it to about 4.3-4.5 under water
Old November 24, 2009, 12:45 PM
Banned
F@H

We never know.... the Graphics will be the first thing I will WC, not for overclock, but for reduce the noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokeR View Post
Wow lol sorry no I must have had that in my head when I was typing I should have said WC Graphics cards lol.
Old November 24, 2009, 12:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yeah I was thinking about that, but someone told me that if I get the 975 I will be able to get a higher OC than with the 920. But I would rather use the spare money to buy another 6GB of ram. Lol I like the idea of 12GB or DDR3 RAM maybe I will actually find a use for it in the distant future. :)
Old November 24, 2009, 12:52 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Ok, But considering I don't mind the stock cooling sound all that much (I don't have the PC right next to where I sit).

I think adding 2 cards to the loop will make the liquid warmer and I won't be able to get as good temps on the CPU.

To anyone who would know: Water cooling would work better with thicker tubing right? like more liquid in the tubes rather than a tiny tube?
Old November 24, 2009, 01:01 PM
Banned
F@H

trust my experience... EE processors are throwing money by the windows. put water block on the GPU , you will not miss the noise