Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2009, 03:42 PM
Rookie

Default Help req on new build Parts

Hi there HCanucks,

Excellent website and forums, found this site by complete chance and so glad I did.

I'm now ready to upgrade my old gaming laptop from Rock(UK) to a desktop rig but have v.limited knowledge of what I should look for. Have about $1000 to spend and want to try and inc. a monitor too.

Main uses are for gaming, not a serious player but like to play at max settings. Soem video encoding and photoshop use.

PC I've specced so far includes...

Processor: Intel i5 2.66
VCard: HD4870
Memory: 4GB (of what and what speed?)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55M
PSU: ?
Case: Coolermaster 690
DVD: Generic

Would anyone recommend any retail outlets like Canada Computers where I can get it all in one place and have them build it? Are they reliable? I've too little knowledge to attempt it myself.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.
cheers,
s
Old November 23, 2009, 04:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

USe NCIX- they will price match on all the components during the checkout process, and they will build it for you for $25 and test it for $25 more. They do a good job- I would recommend doing it youself after a little reading as it is quite fun and you'll learn alot, but if I had one of the larger reatilers do a build, it would be NCIX.

Don't forget an aftermarket cooler!
Old November 23, 2009, 05:41 PM
Rookie

Great! Thanks a lot for your replies and advice Kayen and Babrbarossa. Will look into options and pricing from your links tomorrow. Had no idea that retailer would build so good to know - way too much of a novice to attempt it myself. Cheers! s
Old November 23, 2009, 06:33 PM
Trial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
USe NCIX- they will price match on all the components during the checkout process, and they will build it for you for $25 and test it for $25 more. They do a good job- I would recommend doing it youself after a little reading as it is quite fun and you'll learn alot, but if I had one of the larger reatilers do a build, it would be NCIX.

Don't forget an aftermarket cooler!
First post!

So NCIX does price match... You just blew my mind, sir. I knew it was a worthwhile idea to register and do some reading for my eventual first build!
Old November 25, 2009, 04:06 PM
Rookie

Hi,
well I've just done a great deal with NCIX - pending price match......
i5 2.66
GA P55M Motherboard
Power Colour Radeon HD 5770
Corsair XMS 4gb 1600 ram
Coolermaster 690 + BFG 550w psu
WDigital 640gb HD
Samsung Drive

All for $1064 inc build and taxes.

Price match was amazing and found myself saving a few notes on the way on virtually all the components, took a while though.

Thanks again to those who helped and advised on my build, can't wait to get my greedy mits on it now!
seb
Old November 25, 2009, 06:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biospider View Post
First post!

So NCIX does price match... You just blew my mind, sir. I knew it was a worthwhile idea to register and do some reading for my eventual first build!
lol random. You didn't know NCIX price matched and that blew your mind?