Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2009, 01:22 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Slap a Coolermaster Hyper 212 on top of the Quad...

DDR2 over DDR3? DDR2 all the way. And invest in the CPU as much as possible, since this component has the largest impact on speed.

No need to create another thread. Members will reply if they wish to.
DDR2 all the way? I'd say go as future-proof as is available.

Also, I'd say a solid motherboard is better than an outstanding CPU; it may have less impact on speed but it's the heart of the system. A crap motherboard is much harder to upgrade than a CPU.
Old December 20, 2009, 07:57 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, DDR2 all the way. OP cannot go for DDR3 with his budget.
Old December 20, 2009, 11:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

But buying new .. DDR3 and DDR2 prices arepretty much the same ... if not DDR2 being more expensive nowadays .
Old December 20, 2009, 11:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well assuming he can find the extra $100 for DDR3, I'd say go with that. Since the OP wants 4GB anyways, DDR2 is $100 for a 4GB set. And you can get DDR3 4GB set for $100. So I don't see the point in going with DDR2. Motherboard cost is only like $10 more maybe? Again, not a big difference. I guess with DDR2, he could just get another 2GB set, but that's still like $60? Then it's impossible to add anymore RAM in the future if need be since all the slots will be full.

And I think a 785G motherboard's graphics would be better than a X300. I don't see the point in keeping the old card which isn't even supported by ATI anymore.

Then just get whatever Athlon II model you can afford.
Old December 21, 2009, 12:21 PM
Banned

I'm in ON to the guy who asked. Any reason why?

It's some good points why to go DDR3. Damn, memory doesn't seem to have gone down at all lately for both types.

Which mobo then? So complicated!! :-(

I'm liking the energy efficient processors like the 235e and 240e. Any comments on them? They're a bit more expensive than the comparable Athlon II 235/240 at the standard 65w but saving 20w at only a bit extra $$ seems like a decent purchase advantage. Then you have the Radeon HD 4200 integrated cards with the option to add a discrete card whenever you want.

The thing is, this might be overkill for surfing, video, music etc. but I looked at real cheap builds like an Intel-based system so G41 mobo, E5200 cpu etc. but when you add it to gether, you still need the DDR2 RAM for about $100 and the other components being mobo plus cpu comes to $100 or more. You save a bit but can't upgrade as easily and the performance is not as good.

Stay with the AM3? :)

I guess I'll have to look a bit more closely at the DDR3/AM3 options available and their prices.
Old December 21, 2009, 09:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd say stick with AM3. Leaves your doors open to future upgrades, like a quad-core, 8GB of RAM, video card, etc. Then at least you don't have to trash basically everything when you want to get some more performance.

And if it's really just web surfing and menial tasks you're doing, look at the ION + Atom 330 combos by Zotac. Nice compact boards with everything on-board, even PSU if you want, and then you'd just need to add some RAM and be good to go.
Old January 22, 2010, 04:57 AM
Trial Member

Talking M4A785-M +9850

I'd go with the package deal ...I had the same problem of old and new components to build a Mandriva box and i'm very happy with my choice. Remember linux does not like overclocked systems nearly as much as Windows does so go with stability over speed btw go with mandriva powerpack it runs circles around Ubuntu.
Old January 22, 2010, 03:54 PM
MVP

Don't go with the ION boards. They look attractive at first, but then you think about the price; for the same price as the boards that are actually worth while you can get an Athlon II and a 785G board. Guess which will perform better.
Old January 22, 2010, 04:11 PM
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
Don't go with the ION boards. They look attractive at first, but then you think about the price; for the same price as the boards that are actually worth while you can get an Athlon II and a 785G board. Guess which will perform better.
I agree and disagree with you, it depends on the application.

IF he is going to be using it as a regular pc, running vmware, web browser and light gaming i would STAY AWAY from the ION boards as you will not be getting the power you need.

If he is going to be using it mainly as a web browsing, htpc, and little to no gaming then i would recommend the ION boards for the fact they are small and very low power consumption. You can also overclock them to about 2.0Ghz, with a front side bus of 667Mhz, ram at 800Mhz. Also i've found this thing will actually play some games at decent settings. I mean i've played C&C3 on it at 1920x1080, mind you i cranked all the visual settings down it still was able to run it without a hitch.

Its all about practicality.