Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2009, 09:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default $625 Budget Rig For Graphic Design & Flash Animation

Hello everyone.
I've been lurking this site for a few months now. Nice reviews and well put together!

I'm a graphic designer and animator. Do a decent amount of product photography as well. Also do some gaming, mostly CS:S but I like to try out new games. Currently have a Celeron 2.8GHz, 1GB RAM, Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis running windows xp.

Uses:
Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash, Bridge, Camera Raw, video encoding once in a while, and of course some gaming.

Requirements:
$625 Budget.
Using DirectCanada.com - Live in Canada.
Hardware virtualization is a must - I use some old software that will require it in windows 7.
Upgrade path without replacing a majority of the system, so no LGA775 please.

Unneeded Components:
Case.
Monitor.
Speakers.

Considered Components: essentially the Affordable All Rounder bit-tech.net | Feature - What Hardware Should I Buy? - Nov 2009
CPU - AMD Athlon II X2 250
MOBO - MSI 770-C45 ATX AM3
GPU - XFX Radeon HD 4850 625MHZ 512MB 1.99GHZ
RAM - G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA2 3.5IN
ODD - Lg GH22NS50 Black 22X Sata Dvd Writer
PSU - OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W ATX
Keyboard - Logitech Classic Keyboard 200 USB
Mouse - Logitech G500 > has to be a quality FPS gaming mouse, would love to have some input on this one!

Intentions:
I plan on using this Rig for about a year running windows 7. Most likely with a light overclock. At that point I'm hoping Phenom II x4 965 BE has significantly dropped in price so i can drop one of those in there as well as replace the GPU. Then use the Athlon II x2 250 and GPU for a HTPC I plan on building some time in 2010. So do you think this would be a good cpu due to its low power consumption or should i go another way?

Please let me know of any suggestions you may have. Would also be great if you have experience with the intended software for use.

PS. If anyone plays CS:S checkout

Good Server. Friendly People. I'm [CFPM] Backpack.
Old November 16, 2009, 10:10 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

things that I would suggest is instead of dropping the cpu and gpu for htpc build use the mobo, gpu ram cpu for it.

You should go with DDR2 instead of DDR3 ram, the increase for it's price is not really.. that much. save you some money for other area(such as a Western digital black, or the cpu below)
Since you are use program like Camera Raw and encoding you might want to move to Athlon II X4, although without the L3 cache you will benefit from the extra core, and if you look around they aren't that extensive
Old November 16, 2009, 03:36 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belinik View Post
things that I would suggest is instead of dropping the cpu and gpu for htpc build use the mobo, gpu ram cpu for it.

You should go with DDR2 instead of DDR3 ram, the increase for it's price is not really.. that much. save you some money for other area(such as a Western digital black, or the cpu below)
Since you are use program like Camera Raw and encoding you might want to move to Athlon II X4, although without the L3 cache you will benefit from the extra core, and if you look around they aren't that extensive
Actually you're wrong, if you're buying new .. DDR2 prices are actually hgiher or on par with DDR3 prices.
So might as well go DDR3 which will only get cheaper, and more widely used.
Old November 16, 2009, 04:15 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

oh damm.... just checked store and you are right on that..... I am still dreaming in my land of g.skill 8500 4gb for 60ish dollar -_-"
Old November 16, 2009, 04:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I know it sucks man. I just ditched my LGA775 setup.
Trying to scrounge up an AM3 matx setup going here haha.

For your build:
I would get a DDR3 board w/ a X4 620 which doesn't cost that much more than your x2 250 .. maybe an extra $20 or so.
Power supply:
Corsair psu's are good. Damn good. OCZ power supplies are okay for budget builds. Those modxtreams are alright.
RAM:
Ripjaws are really nice DIMMS haha.
HDD: Go for some wd blacks on sale.

Last edited by Kayen; November 16, 2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old November 17, 2009, 10:37 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the replies.

I'm wanting the DDR3 so I dont have to upgrade in the future and can just drop another 4GB in.

My only hesitation with the Athlon II x4 620 is the mixed reviews.
I did a lot of research into it and its starting to look like that'll be the CPU I go with.
Just too bad its over the $100 mark, but i guess what can you expect for a quad core regardless of L3 cache.

Do you think the
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200RPM 32MB cache SATA HDD
would faster than the
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache SATA2 HDD?
I have no experience with anything SATA, last time I built a computer IDE and AGP was the standard haha.

Kayen, what mATX AM3 boards are you looking at?
Old November 17, 2009, 01:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I thought of another way to go and stay on budget.

CPU -AMD Phenom II X4 925
MOBO - ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX

The CPU is $33 cheaper and 30 watts less than a Phenom II X4 955. All I would need to do is OC to 3.2GHz.
This way I have quad core with L3 cache.
The compromise would be that I would wait to get a graphics card.
The motherboard has ATI Radeon HD 3300 onboard graphics with better specs than my current GPU.
Seems to me this would do fine for photoshop and playing Counter Strike Source until I have the money for a nice graphics card since the onboard is capable of playing 1080p.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old November 17, 2009, 03:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Guess I should note that I rock a 17 inch CRT monitor at 1280x1024.
Old November 17, 2009, 03:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well, that HD3300 can handle 1080p vids actually (:
Old November 17, 2009, 03:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...m3-system.html

Yes, I am shamelessly plugging my system lol! Its called a Folding Bug.

It could always be done without the case if you so wanted ;)

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com