Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2009, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
I'm not sure a shopvac is design to work for long period of time.. and i'm not talking about the noise..
Yeah...i think the motor would burn out quickly.
Old November 16, 2009, 07:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Arrow blower and filter?

I wonder if a big squirrel cage blower and a car air filter would work well. The filter would be much more durable than nylons or dryer sheets and a blower that runs on 12v would not be hard to find.

Last edited by Jack Rabbit; November 16, 2009 at 07:15 PM. Reason: lol - post of the beast
Old November 16, 2009, 07:30 PM
Banned
F@H

in the scrap yard , the fan of the car heater is a squirel one.

how big you need I have a 3500 cfm in my paint both ,
Old November 22, 2009, 11:54 AM
MVP

Hello Biff. Why have the computer in the shop ? Just keyboard and mouse in a flip top case to keep dust off them and your monitor and speakers. Longer cables are easier than trying to keep saw dust out. Sanding dust will even go thru nylons.At work all computers are in computer rooms and the dust still gets in them.
Instead of flip top just build a case for keyboard and mouse to pull out with monitor on top. Keep it neat and tidy.

Last edited by Toyoracer; November 22, 2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: added idea
Old November 22, 2009, 01:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The majority of this thread seems to me like a LOT of trouble to play music in your shop. Seriously, your best option is a proper cabinet for the PC and filters over the intakes. Both of these options have been mentioned here, and combined they would stop 99% or more of the dust. You won't get much better than that. If you add a cheap, low heat system to the mix, you're golden. Not sure why you would want to go through any more lengths than that. Personally, I'd build a mATX htpc style system that mounts in a case UNDER a cabinet/bench. (Think 90's under-the-cabinet coffee makers, but enclose the whole thing except a small area for air) That way most of the dust will avoid it naturally (as it would have to be falling, then rise up in mid air to get to the PC) and anything else will be stopped by the cabinet and filters. As for keyboard and mouse, just get one of those roll-out spill proof keyboards and a cheap optical. The keyboard would never die in that environment, and the most you'd worry about is spending $5 every 6 months to replace the mouse.

If that's not enough, I'd say just get an mp3 player and a cheap stereo for music. Because all other solutions other than a sanitized clean room in your shop won't do much more, but will be a much larger pain in the a$$ to set up. Not to mention, require more space.
Old November 22, 2009, 01:55 PM
MVP

A KVM splitter and cable is way cheaper than a new computer, access the same files instead of having to copy to new computer and then back to main when making changes.

CAT5 KVM EXTENDER LOCAL ACCESS 0DT23001A, 330ft

Last edited by Toyoracer; November 22, 2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old November 22, 2009, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Fully passive atom system should do the trick..not hard to do at all, all you have to do is seal every hole up.

Old November 22, 2009, 11:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
The majority of this thread seems to me like a LOT of trouble to play music in your shop. Seriously, your best option is a proper cabinet for the PC and filters over the intakes. Both of these options have been mentioned here, and combined they would stop 99% or more of the dust. You won't get much better than that. If you add a cheap, low heat system to the mix, you're golden. Not sure why you would want to go through any more lengths than that. Personally, I'd build a mATX htpc style system that mounts in a case UNDER a cabinet/bench. (Think 90's under-the-cabinet coffee makers, but enclose the whole thing except a small area for air) That way most of the dust will avoid it naturally (as it would have to be falling, then rise up in mid air to get to the PC) and anything else will be stopped by the cabinet and filters. As for keyboard and mouse, just get one of those roll-out spill proof keyboards and a cheap optical. The keyboard would never die in that environment, and the most you'd worry about is spending $5 every 6 months to replace the mouse.
I agree. As has been mentioned a few times I think I'll just use a basic case, seal it up and use more intake than exhaust fans with stocking/dryer sheet filters and use $5 disposable mice and KB's. It's not like fine saw dust is corrosive or anything, it'll just gum things up a bit but blowing it out with some compressed air from time to time should take care of the majority of it.

Lots on interesting ideas though!
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old November 24, 2009, 06:32 AM
Rookie

What I do is cut a few swifters and cover any of my intake/exhaust fans opening as filters. It works pretty well so far