Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2009, 05:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

a serious low maintenance solution is to build a cabinet with AC fans for intake and exhaust. Use the stocking method 3.0 Charlie suggested on the intake fans and/or cheese-cloth. Commercially, every time a PC is inserted into a harsh environment: they go into a proper cabinet.
Old November 13, 2009, 05:20 PM
Rookie

Default dust traps

try used fabric softer sheets or new if you like. They stop the fine stuff . a friend showed me this .It works
Old November 13, 2009, 09:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Definitely go with onboard graphics/sound/NIC. The nylons idea is great...my favorite cheap filters(anyone who even "knows" a woman, has access to them w/runs,guaranteed ). Definitely don't put the HDD in a bag/sealed enclosure...we all know how fast heat/lack of circulation can kill an HDD(especially Maxtor ). If you must protect it..as Charlie said, stretch a nylon around it. Sounds like a nice garage/wokshop you'll be getting,**jealous**... you could try ducting. Seal the case as tightly as possible. Depending on the case' orientation to an adjacent wall, run a piece of dryer duct to the rear fan(probably need to run 92mm, 120 would be too big)...reversed for intake and out the side-panel with another 92mm fan into another pipe, or visa-versa. Attach the ducts to the case with duct-tape...what else? Also, depending on how elaborate you want to be..you should use a real dryer "cap"(yellowish/white downward angled) on the pipe, on the outside...to keep crap, creatures and weather out. Make sure the intake/exhaust are at least a foot or more apart. All common-sense stuff. Remember.. if it's that dusty, you also have to worry about plugging-up the vent-holes on the monitor with crud, the KB keys getting clogged, and the mouse giving you hard time. Sounds like fun..GL when you get moved. **jealous again**
Old November 16, 2009, 10:40 AM
Banned
F@H

I may have an other solution

why not use one of those drive
Newegg.ca - Patriot Lite PL32GPEPCSSDR 32GB Mini PCIe Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

Install a good heat sink on the CPU and put the hole motherboard in mineral oil , I will give it a try in the next months , since I want also a computer in the garage
Old November 16, 2009, 10:50 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I'd say positive pressure. Use filtered intake fans that have decent CFM with filters to push in more cold air than warm air is expelled out. The positive pressure case will have air trying to push OUT wherever it can, even from the tiny nooks and crannies. This means that no dust will accumulated inside the case at all, since air is being pushed out of the case in all areas. All the dust will collect on the filters, so just clean them off once in a while and you should be fine.
Old November 16, 2009, 10:59 AM
Banned
F@H

he can create that presure with a bathroom style fan , with air coming from an other room, they are easy to duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
I'd say positive pressure. Use filtered intake fans that have decent CFM with filters to push in more cold air than warm air is expelled out. The positive pressure case will have air trying to push OUT wherever it can, even from the tiny nooks and crannies. This means that no dust will accumulated inside the case at all, since air is being pushed out of the case in all areas. All the dust will collect on the filters, so just clean them off once in a while and you should be fine.
Old November 16, 2009, 11:03 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
he can create that presure with a bathroom style fan , with air coming from an other room, they are easy to duck
thats a little excessive , dont ya think? Like i said, id personally just use a couple of good intake fans, with fewer exhaust fans (thus creating positive pressure) and use filters on the intakes. Seems the simplest solution to me.
Old November 16, 2009, 11:12 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
thats a little excessive , dont ya think?
Ya my family say often that to me, don't know why

But I did it for a customer in a Kitchen Cabinets shop , all true the fan duck do not go directly in the case... it goes in a metal cabinet , with the pc inside . the intake is from their office.

anyway , we ideas like positive pressure, seal enclosure, nylon filter, oil bath, Biff have a lot of choice
Old November 16, 2009, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

biff, are you going to have an actual shopvac? if so you could attach a hose from the shopvac to a cabinet with hole with filters on the bottom and it would create good flow past the computer for cooling and any dust that does get in, instead of being blown out it will be sucked into a container. to protect the mouse and keyboard, you could have a hinged cover kind of like what alot of pianos have and just keep it closed when you are not using it. for the monitor, you can put it also in a case with filters at the bottom, and around the front, and a couple of fans on the top to create pressure.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old November 16, 2009, 02:28 PM
Banned
F@H

I'm not sure a shopvac is design to work for long period of time.. and i'm not talking about the noise..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bissa View Post
biff, are you going to have an actual shopvac? .........