Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2009, 06:32 AM
Rookie

Default UPS

Hi, I am planning to upgrade my build except for the case (atcs 840 ) these are the parts I am planning to use:
-evga classified
-i7 920
-ati radeon 5870 xfx (only one, no xfire)
-enermax infinity 720WATT psu
-prolimatech megahelm
-western digital 2TB HD
-Gskill falcon SSD 128 GB
-Corsair Dominator GT 2000

In my first build I didn't pay much attention to the UPS, and that psu wasn't that high, only 450WATT, I've been reading about the topic and I "decided" (based only in the short amount of knowledge I posses about UPS) for the
TRIPP LITE SMART1500XL 1500 VA 980 Watts 6 Outlets Smart Pro XL Expandable Tower UPS System
"decision" based also in the fact that the ENERMAX PSU only is compatible with sine wave line UPS, if not used this kind of UPS, the psu will malfuction and in the worst case scenario it will get damaged.
So is this UPS enough or overkill? other choices for ups are welcome.

Old November 11, 2009, 06:46 AM
Banned
F@H

A UPS is never overkill... it will give you more time. I got only good experience with tripp lite, do not forget ...never plug your laser printer on it.
Old November 11, 2009, 07:08 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

IMO, the Tripp Lite stuff is very, very good but it is quite expensive. There are a number of things you should look for in a UPS:

- Sine Wave. Some have simulated sine wave and others use a true sine wave. For computer components and other electronics, you will want something that will produce a clean output waveform which a step wave doesn't do.

- AVR. Automatic Voltage Regulation. When an output fulctuates (from the normal 120V), your computer power supply or the power supply within any piece of electronics has to compensate and constant fluctuations has been proven to drastically reduce the life LCDs, PSUs, printers, etc. AVR provides a constant voltage output regardless of fluctuations. Higher-end units will compensate for spikes / drops of up to 30V while lower-end units will usually correct fluctuations of +/- 5-10V.

- True output length. Having a UPS that is rated for 900W output might sound great but many are only able to operate on battery backup for less than a minute at their peak output. Look for a UPS that has a high output AND a good peak output timeframe. This is also called "Full Load Runtime".

- Sufficient outlets. Seriously, the more outlets the better. HOWEVER, you have to remember than some UPSes don't provide battery backup for all of their outlets. I have a Belkin UPS that has 6 outlets of which 4 have battery backup while the other two are simply surge protected.

- Transfer time. This is the speed at which the UPS will switch from the wall outlet power to battery backup if it senses a loss of electricity. Typically, you should be looking for something under 10ms.

All of that being said, I recommend this one from a price / performance standpoint:

NCIX.com - Buy OPTI-UPS TS1700B UPS 1700VA 900W AVR Simulated Sine Wave RJ11/RJ45 RS232 5 Outlet - TS1700B In Canada.

Hope that helps.
Old November 11, 2009, 07:13 AM
Banned
F@H

STYMTL , this is not a reply it's a stiky ... and a good one... I may look more to the opti next time... they have a very attractive price.
Old November 11, 2009, 11:40 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies.
It seems that I forgot to mention a detail about the ENERMAX INFINITY
According to the manual (provided in the ENERMAX website) this psu is only compatible with true sine wave type UPS.
A lot of people in newegg had problems (like the psu itself getting burned) for using this psu with a simulated sine wave type UPS.
My other option for the psu is the CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W, the thing is, I wanted every component to be from a different marks (just a caprice of mine) but is this PSU is compatible with the one STYMTL recomended me, then there's no problem, I could use the saved money to buy something else (I just checked that Gskill is going to release FALCONII).
Old November 11, 2009, 12:43 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

That's ridiculous on Enermax's part.

I've been using a Simulated sine wave unit for my main test system for the last 3 years and haven't received even one PSU issue. The Infinity PSUs had their fair share of failures...many of which I doubt had anything to do with a UPS.