Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2009, 11:28 AM
Top Prospect

Default New Gaming Build, Upgrading a whole generation...

Hello everyone, this is my 3rd post and my first attempt at building a computer. Critiques are encouraged! I plan on overclocking this system(AMD-Fanboy) and have a budget of about $800(Approx.) US.

-Asus Crosshair III(From Nvidia Nforce)
-Antec P193 Gunmetal Grey ATX Mid Tower(From Manufacturer's Case)
-AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0Ghz(AMD Athlon X2 2.2Ghz)
-Scythe Katana3 CPU Cooler(Upgrading from Stock)
-Windows 7 Professional(Upgrading from Vista)
-(Undecided on RAM. Would rather something along the lines of 100 for atleast 4-6gigs of DDR3)

Already have an ATI Radeon HD 4870 1Gig DDR5 Ram
SCSI Disk Drive(Microsoft brand? Not sure)
OCZ StealthXStream 600W Power Supply

Last edited by Luckk; November 7, 2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old November 7, 2009, 11:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure why you did not included a PSU, but I would recommend the Antec CP-850 if you plan to stay with that case.

Then, many people will not agree with your choice of going AMD, its not a bad choice, but you may want to consider the Intel i5. Mind you, I've got a phenom II rig and I absolutly love it. However, if you are staying with AMD, I would recommend going for a 955 BE. Then, the mobo, I am sure its a nice mobo, but with your budget I would probably go for a cheaper one such as the Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P.

For the CPU cooler, I'd recommend the Coolermaster Hyper 212+.

Then, you will be needing some RAM. A kit such as those G.Skill DDR3-1600 2x2gb would surely suit you.

You will obviously need a dvd writer and its probable that your GPU may not be enough for what you want to do, but then again it depends what you will do with the computer and what resolution you will use. I would also suggest getting some extra fans for that case, I have its little brother and I loaded it with fan and I love it.
Old November 7, 2009, 11:56 AM
Top Prospect

Sorry! Guess my edit with the PSU didn't beat you to your reply.

My DvD writer is an HP dvd1160i

Also, why the change of Motherboards? Just out of curiousity. The Gigabyte doesn't have DDR3 compatibility.

And what is the bonus of having L1 cache in the BE instead of having just L2 and L3 cache in the normal edition?

Last edited by Luckk; November 7, 2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old November 7, 2009, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The mobo change is to save on your budget and the Gigabyte is DDR3 only. It works very well, I would shoot the question back at you, why the Crosshair III as a mobo ?

Ooh, so you've got a PSU already, OCZ isn't part of the most praised PSU manufacturers. Eventually I'd suggest getting another PSU, but I guess for now it will do.
Old November 7, 2009, 12:25 PM
Top Prospect

Ah my bad on the DDR2, newegg had an almost exact same model. I read a few reviews and I am personally new to overclocking and a lot of the extras included in the Crosshair look amazing in helping beginners with it. And have you used Gigabyte before? Glanced at a few reviews on it and saw quite a few problems over at newegg, while I could never find a problemed review at any website on the Crosshair. Can you discredit any of them?
Old November 7, 2009, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well if you look to the right under my system specs, you will see I have the DDR2 version of that board as well as a Phenom II X4 940. I have not had any problems with it. It was also my first build and went very easily. I managed to overclock my computer without problem too.
Old November 7, 2009, 12:45 PM
Top Prospect

Ah okay. Where did you buy your stuff off of? If you used NCIXUS, why don't they have any AMD Processors? Also, I refuse to buy Intel after the latest stunt they pulled with their corporate deals.
Old November 7, 2009, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I used NCIX but on the North side of the border. They have AMD processors, I dunno about NCIXUS.

Edit: I just went to NCIXUS site and noticed they don't have any AMD CPU other than in bundles, it is weird indeed.
Either way, I think that ordering from the US, Newegg is quite good.
Old November 7, 2009, 12:53 PM
Top Prospect

Kay thanks for the help. Definitely going with the RAM and CPU Cooler you picked out, have to debate on what mobo to go with. Oh, one last question, is the AMD 955 BE 64 bit or 32 bit?
Old November 7, 2009, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It works with 64 o/s if that is what you mean. You are not forced to use 64bit, but I wouldn't see a reason not to. I've been using Windows 7 RC 64bit since I built my computer and it works like a charm.