Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2009, 01:05 PM
Top Prospect

If you have some time, I was wondering if you could just touch on overclocking? The process of doing it, I mean. With being able to go into the BIOS and change stuff like that, is it a difficult process?
Old November 7, 2009, 01:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I am not the best person to help u with overclocking as I am still a beginer. But going into the BIOS and changing a few settings is very easy, many more experienced members could surely help you better than I can. But basicly, the way its done is simply by trying a little bit at a time and testing stability. If things go well, you can push your system a little more and so on. It takes a bit of time, but its not that hard to get a fair overclock. Going for "extreme" overclock is out of my league, I would be talking about things I do not know if I went that way. I assume it is the same process, but my knowledge of everything is far too limited to be able to help u with it.
Old November 7, 2009, 01:14 PM
Top Prospect

Oh that doesn't seem as hard as I made it out to be. Thanks for touching on the subject really appreciate it. Guess picking out a motherboard is the hardest thing to do.
Old November 7, 2009, 01:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

For the mobo, I would suggest sticking with Asus or Gigabyte, but unless you can give me a reason for going for a mobo over 200$, then I wouldn't suggest it. I mean, if you know the reason why this mobo is worth nearly twice the price of the other, then sure go ahead, but if you don't, then there's a good chance you won't be using it to its full potential.
Old November 7, 2009, 01:23 PM
Top Prospect

I think I will go with the Gigabyte, but why does it say that it only uses DDR2 on Newegg? Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Old November 7, 2009, 01:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Because the model you put is the one I bought, you want the XT one: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Old November 7, 2009, 01:39 PM
Top Prospect

Ohh okay. OHH I see the difference, damn random T.