Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2009, 04:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default First ever Gaming rig build.

Hello Everybody,
I am soon going to start building my first computer. Since this is my first build i'm going to need a bit of help if all the parts match up and will work together. My budget is quiet large since i am a year or two before going off to the money deprived years of university. Also I looked at all my products off of tigerdirect.ca. If you guys could recommend any other sites or walk in stores ( i live in the Brampton Ontario Area.) Other then that on to the parts:

Case: Cooler Master Haf 922
Mobo: EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard
Ram: Patriot Viper Tri Channel 6GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 ( Will probably OC)
Hard drive: 500gb Western Digital Caviar Black Hard Drive
Psu: XFX 850watt Black Edition Modular PSU
GPU: Probably a 5870( i will wait until Nvidia comes out with their dx11 cards)
DVD Burner: Lite-On IHAS124-04 Internal DVD Writer - DVD+R 24X, DVD-R 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD+R DL 8X, SATA (OEM)

I think that's all i need, I have the 850w psu because in the furture i am thinking of crossfiring or sli-ing. Any help is appreciated.
Old November 1, 2009, 04:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Your best deal for a site is NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection. which has great customer service and offers Price matching. You build looks fine, it would be a good idea to tell us some more precise numbers for the budget. You could probably have only a 750W PSU and still have plenty of power for a SLI or xfire combo. I will also suggest getting an aftermarket fan such as the Coolermaster Hyper 212+. Getting some additionnal fans can't hurt, but there's no rush for that. Other than that its mostly personnal preference stuff such as case and brands.

What resolution do you play at ? Do you have a monitor ?
Old November 1, 2009, 10:14 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I'd recommend going with a different power supply, while the XFX is well rated if I remember, something like the corsair HX850W would most likely be a better choice.

They both have 850W rating, 80plus silver rating (although corsair did have gold for a little) and they are both modular. The corsair has an 84 month (7 year) warrenty while the XFX has a 60 month (5 year). Additionally, the corsair I believe has 6 x 6+2pin PCI-E while the XFX has 4 x 6+2pin PCI-E meaning that the corsair can power an additional GPU. While this doesn't matter if you going to be only using 2 graphics cards, having another 6+2pin available can allow for other upgrade options, such as another card for phys-x or folding. Lastly the lowest I could find the XFX was ~$200 while the corsair I could find for ~$170, so I can't realistically see paying $30 for something that at is almost/just as good as the corsair.

And I agree with Kilauea, go with NCIX, and make sure to pricematch everything. Tigerdirect.ca wants $270 for the XFX powersupply, I bet NCIX will pricematch it for $200 w/ directCanada.

Edit: After looking at a couple reviews for each, I'd say there are pretty well matched, giving very simular performance. Like I said above, I personally wouldn't pay $30 more, but it comes down to that if you like the look of the XFX better, and don't plan on getting a 3rd card, then $30 in the grand scheme of things isn't that much.

Last edited by Fox; November 1, 2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old November 2, 2009, 07:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That build looks really good, it will give you a long life for sure by going with i7.

Canada Computers is located in Brampton and I'd imagine they would have a lot of it in stock.
A good place to check if you are going to be buying those parts.
Heck, I stop by there once a week (I'm in bramptonia too lol).

All in all, if you want the extra flair of XFX's PSU then go for it. Otherwise I would have to agree that getting an HX850 would be a good idea as well for PSU.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 2, 2009, 08:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
You build looks fine, it would be a good idea to tell us some more precise numbers for the budget.
For My budget I'm looking at a max of 2,300-2,400 including tax and shipping. Also if I buy the products in store will they cost the same amount as they do online. One last thing would it be worth waiting till boxing day to buy parts. Thanks in advance
Old November 2, 2009, 08:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambel626 View Post
For My budget I'm looking at a max of 2,300-2,400 including tax and shipping. Also if I buy the products in store will they cost the same amount as they do online. One last thing would it be worth waiting till boxing day to buy parts. Thanks in advance
Well if you can wait that long till the sales start for boxing day, then I would because boxing day usually has some really wild deals for Computer Hardware :)

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com