Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 27, 2009, 01:02 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Solid little gaming rig......need some suggestions

Ok well I have been with out gaming rig for a while now and I don't think I can take it anymore, especially with Dragon Age around the corner. All my money is going into my WRX which I'm getting ready for some auto-x next summer and that is quite an expensive hobby and since I'm a noob its taking a lot of time and money! So I want something relatively inexpensive for my rig.

I'm looking for something different then when I had my classified. I really didn't enjoy it and lost interest quick. What I want is a practical rig that is just as fast as the high priced rigs out there. For actual gaming I think it is very doable with the right components. Right now I'm not going sli but might want to in the future depending how much the new nvidia cards are.

Left over from my old rig is 1 evga gtx 275, 2 640gb WD Blacks, Lite-ON bluray drive, Creative xtreme gamer, and a backup set of g.skill ddr3 1600mhz I have lying around.

Now as far as GPUs go I'm not buying anything new until nvidias new cards come out when ever that is. Haven't been much of a fan of ati for the last 3 years.

So for the components I need I have set a budget of $1000. So I'm currently considering an matx build but also open to other ideas so I have a Lancool case in there too. These prices are the cheapest I could find on the net as I'm buying from NCIX. I was considering buying used but people want way too much lately it seems. Some used prices on here were more then retail. New it is for me.

CPU
i5 750 $218

Mobo
Evga P55 matx $180
or
Evga P55 $220

PSU
Corsair Pro HX650 $135
or
Corsair Pro HX750 $150 (probably the smarter choice but harder to squeeze into the matx case)

Case
Lian-Li PC-V351 matx $120
or
Lancool PC-K62 $110

I always liked the idea of have a super powerful rig in a small little case that I could sit on the desk with no prob. The only problem with going matx is if I go sli then I have to use on board sound. Personally not sure if I would really care but maybe.

Anyways any suggestions? Comments? I have been out of the loop for a few months now so any help would be great. Thanks

Edit: forgot to mention gaming at 1920x1200

Last edited by FtGF; October 27, 2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old October 27, 2009, 01:05 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Go lian-li or go home Seriously, If i hadnt already a SS SG-03 I'd be buying that Lian-li PC-V351 in a Second. Shouldnt have any trouble fitting the 750w psu in there either, since i seem to remember a pic of it with an HX1000 in it somewhere... ill check...

Edit: NVM, youre right about the PSu space restriction, but what is the exact restriction? i dunno...
Old October 27, 2009, 01:15 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Technically they are both Lian-Li! My last couple cases were Lian-Li so I know what you are saying the quality and feel just can't be beat. As for the PSU fitting I know the 750 can be done but it does take a little work. I found a worklog with someone who did it but I don't remember what site it was.

Old October 28, 2009, 03:26 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I guess no suggestions is a good thing???

Old October 28, 2009, 03:52 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

It looks like you got most of your components anyways.

i5 is a good choice, as for the motherboards, some with foxconn sockets have had contact problems resulting in failure at high voltage/clocks, I'm not sure if the Evga P55 line has those sockets but it might be something to look into. I'm not sure how much this effects everyday use, but it would probably be worth looking into.

For the PS you can't really go wrong with either, if you plan on running SLI later on, you may want to get the HX750, and for $15 difference, I'd say just go for it anyways, even if you don't think you are (who knows maybe you can pick up another card just for folding).

The Lian-Li PC-V351 dimensions are 279mm x 262mm x 373mm (W,H,D)
The Lian-Li PC-V350 dimensions are the exact same

The HX620 dimensions are the same as the HX750 which is 150mm(W) x 86mm(H) x 150mm(L)
Here is a picture of the 620HX in a PC-V350

As for the Lancool PC-K62, it`ll easily fit the HX750 so it`s reallty down to which you prefer more.
Old October 28, 2009, 04:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Holy crap, that's a really tight fight.