Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 27, 2009, 08:34 AM
Banned
F@H

Default I7, I5 or a simple SSD upgrade

Hello, I presently own a Q6600 with a Raptor for the OS and a Black 640 for the data, I mainly use the PC for browse, excel, word, work on my website, play Stalker, and few other games. I have 2 x 4890 in crossfire, will probably upgrade to a 5870, but I wait to see if Nvidia will offer something, anyway I feel my card is powerful enough for my 24Ē

Now, I found my computer slow to open things ( win 7 evaluation ) and 4 Gb . I wait to upgrade to retail 7 when I will decide if I upgrade the Drive or the board. Iím not sure an update to I7 or I5 is a need, the game are fast, itís the time too open of files, that I donít like, I thing Iím better to put a SSD in the system. I means for the price of the board and CPU I canget an Intel SSD
What do you thing about it
Old October 27, 2009, 08:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
Hello, I presently own a Q6600 with a Raptor for the OS and a Black 640 for the data, I mainly use the PC for browse, excel, word, work on my website, play Stalker, and few other games. I have 2 x 4890 in crossfire, will probably upgrade to a 5870, but I wait to see if Nvidia will offer something, anyway I feel my card is powerful enough for my 24Ē

Now, I found my computer slow to open things ( win 7 evaluation ) and 4 Gb . I wait to upgrade to retail 7 when I will decide if I upgrade the Drive or the board. Iím not sure an update to I7 or I5 is a need, the game are fast, itís the time too open of files, that I donít like, I thing Iím better to put a SSD in the system. I means for the price of the board and CPU I canget an Intel SSD
What do you thing about it
A SSD is singlehandedly the fastest upgrade you can do for average day to day use of your PC. Obviously for CPU heavy tasks (video editing, folding, etc) i5/7 will be more beneficial. But for the tasks you've listed, get a SSD
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 27, 2009, 09:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

Totally agree with Sagath, only upgrade systems if you do folding/video editing.. heavy photoshop usage.. otherwise an ssd should make at least make games/apps load faster..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 27, 2009, 09:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

SSD for the winzorz.
Old October 27, 2009, 09:43 AM
Banned
F@H

what is a winzorz
Old October 27, 2009, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame