Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 26, 2009, 06:35 PM
Rookie

Default Switching from an iMac to PC and need advice...

Hi guys, this is my first post, and I am very happy to have discovered this site. I am a former Mac user as of recently, as I found it (2.1 Ghz intel core2 duo) far too slow for my work needs. I have looked at the new iMacs just released, and also considered a pre built unit like the new Alienware Aurora or a Studio XPS 9000. Mainly that I liked the look of the units, but found the interior parts a bit pricey for what you get.

I have been out of the PC world for so long that I am a bit out of the loop when it comes to recommended components to install in my own build. So for some help, I'll get into what I need and what I need it for, and hope some good Samaritan will be able to point me in the right direction.

I have a budget of $2000 at the very most... I'll be happy to spend less! But I need it all, Monitor, Computer, Keyboard, webcam w mic preferably so my wife can chat with my son and I when she is away on business. Speakers, and a wireless n card.

I do some gaming... but mainly I need a computer that will not chug when I do my Flash animation work from home. The intel iMac was awful for that, and hence it was sold.

Anyhow, I hope this is enough to go on. Look forward to any reply...
Old October 26, 2009, 08:05 PM
Allstar
F@H

Welcome to HWC!!

Do you have a preference between Intel and AMD?

Old October 26, 2009, 08:18 PM
Rookie

Hi, I have no real preference. As long as the power is equal and it can do the job, I am happy with intel or AMD.
Old October 26, 2009, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Haha, you'll know right from the get-go that you'll get way more out of a PC for your money than you will with an iMac. I'll set you up with a list tomorrow morning!
Old October 26, 2009, 08:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hello,

Here is a suggestion of something you could get:

Antec P183 and CP-850 bundle 239.99
Intel Core i7 860 328.99
Gigabyte P55-UD4P 179.99
G.Skill PC3-10666 2x2gb 84.99
XFX Radeon HD4870 159.99
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 119.97
LG GH22NS50 SATA DVD Writer 35.98

Windows 7 Home Premium OEM 89.99 (Special price with the Antec case and PSU)
Logitech Quickcam 3000 39.63
Logitech Internet 350 Desktop Keyboard and Mouse 40.75 (Just a basic quality wired keyboard and mouse)
Asus VW266H 25.5in 315.98
Express Coverage Zero Dead pixels 30 days 15.80
Altec Lansing VS4121BLK 74.38

Total: 1726.43 (shipping, taxes, insurance are not included) There are no price match done on these items.

Edit: You could also go for a very potent system with an AMD built for a bit cheaper. You could save money on the case and PSU, but its just a choice I like.
Old October 26, 2009, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

First off, where you located ? Assuming you're a fellow Canuck ( - me think so), NCIX is a great place to get your hardware especially the fact you can pricematch. And if you're from Ontario you don't pay both taxes so that's a bonus.

Think you can get everything there. The only thing I wouldn't would be the speakers.
Old October 26, 2009, 08:50 PM
Rookie

Thanks alot! I am in Nova Scotia so you were correct when you saw the

I'll check a few places online as read the suggested builds. Newegg.ca seems to have good deals as well.

And I am noticing a substantial difference in cost to performance ratio coming from the Mac... more bang for the buck going this route.

When the new iMac ad on their site has 75% information on how "beautiful" it is, my eyes started to glaze over and made my decision to switch. Windows 7 helped that out as well.
Old October 26, 2009, 08:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah you're paying for overpriced software and aesthetics.
If you want smooth, definitely go for those Antec P series case Kilauea reccomended.
I say he sent out a very nice build, you can opt for a better video card if you wanted, but price match, and it'll go down.
Better KB + Mouses can be had for cheaper/that price range , if you looking around hard enough .
Old October 26, 2009, 08:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you overclock, your bang for the buck will skyrocket. NCIX is a great place to buy in Canada because they'll pricematch any store in Canada, usually without question (price error, etc.)
Old October 26, 2009, 08:54 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Haha, you'll know right from the get-go that you'll get way more out of a PC for your money than you will with an iMac. I'll set you up with a list tomorrow morning!
Thanks! I look forward to it.