Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2009, 06:53 PM
Top Prospect

Default $1500 BEAST:Need HELP!!!

Hey guys, first time poster need some help building my beast here. The budget ain't so much of a problem as much as getting a good bargin and making the right choice on my parts. Just need to make sure I feel good with my purchase so I don't I have bad gut feeling about putting down $1500 on a gaming computer, so long as we can make sure i don't have that = successful build.I'm looking to stay in budget unless the price - performance ratio is a huge difference in favor of the performance.

Budget:1500 cdn
Store I can access Easy: Retail stores in Vancouver/Richmond; NCIX

Parts I have picked:

Motherboard: Budget:$300
#1I like the colors on the Evga x58 le sli mobo.Good reviews on the mobo decent price tag:Supports sli and crossfire which is a huge up but booth the mobos I have picked do.
PROS /CONS for EVGA x58?? ANSWER PLEASE.
#2 Asus P6t x58 don't know much about other then supports everything evga does but higher ram speeds out of the box.

CPU:
I want the Core i7 920: Budget:$300 ? Help me out with this core i5 prolly not need a whole new mobo for it but if its better choice I will but seeing bench marks seems like its just an okay cpu

Ram:Budget:IDK
I want to benefit of triple Channel Btw need some explanation of triple channel don't know much about it.
Ram I picked:Newegg.ca - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8 G - Desktop Memory

PSU:Need 850 just incase i want to SLI or Crossfire in the future:
I picked: NCIX.com - Buy Corsair TX850W 850W CMPSU-850TX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX Active PFC 140M Fan Power Supply - CMPSU-850TX In Canada.

Case:Need Mid-Tower - Black. Needs to look cool?
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases Coolmaster case is cooler nice airflow,and screwless drive bays.I Like that

GPU: The hardest choice right now for me. I think I won't be getting a top end gpu because right now in my opinion the ati 5870 is the best gpu for its price and being high end. But i'm not willing to buy it just because first gen of dx 11 need to see what nvidia has for competitive price tag on dx 11 card. So im thinking just dropping an ati 4890 or even evga 260 in for a bit. HELP HELP HELP!!!!

HDD: 7200 rpm 1 tb western digital ? OR a Velocoraptor w/e they called 10k ? whats better performance vs price tag on this guys THX.

Conclusion: So I'm building this computer to have a competitive edge in cod mw 2, cod 4 i did it on my 8600 gtm on my laptop don't feel like lagging at random anymore. So i'm ready to build my comp need help guys.

NEED TO HELP COMP BUILT BY : OCT 29TH
Btw i'm in contact with some guy named EDDY AT NCIX at the richmond location linked em basically the parts I have right here asking him the best prices possible trying have him sell me core i7 920 for $250 etc. Hopefully he can get me some good prices. -
Old October 23, 2009, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Seems like an alright build.

I wouldn't bother with a velociraptor drive. Get a WB Black or 2. Raid them. Or get SSD.

This machine will be so beyond what you were using before it's hardly funny. Really, get whatever video card you want. A GTX260 or ATI 4870 would do you fine I bet.

If your motherboard takes triple channel ram, then you buy triple channel ram. I really don't see it as being much better than dual channel in real world use. Anyway, 6gb would be a good amount, in my opinon, but I err on the side of overkill with RAM.
Old October 23, 2009, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you think you'll be running more than 1 video card? If not, I suggest saving some money and buying an i5 system and getting a beastly GPU.
Old October 23, 2009, 07:34 PM
Top Prospect

I forgot add a very important note, i'm only planning on using a 19'' monitor,which i still need to find. WHY 19'' just to really have an competitive edge, 21'' = high ress, and i have acutally move my head to see the whole screen, etc.Only going to use a single gpu thats all i will need. I need to review the prices of I5 build so If you can provide me a link to 1166 or w/e interface type is the i5 with a good mobo would be awesome.
Old October 25, 2009, 02:17 PM
Rookie

A comparable i5 build (i7 860) wouldn't be much cheaper than the original i7 and the extra memory bandwidth is a "why not?" at that point.

Newegg.ca - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory
You could go with these OCZ sticks to save a bit of cash. This and a similar OCZ series have benched well.

My biggest piece of advice. DO NOT overshoot your power needs. An 80+ 650W PSU would serve you well with SLI/Crossfire AND a CPU overclock. Putting extra money on an 850W would be a waste.

The 1TB WD Caviar Black is a good buy.

I would NOT recommend the case you have picked out. You will be forced to get replacement fans from coolermaster. Try finding a case with all or mostly 120mm fans.

The stock GTX260 will serve you very very well compared to your old system.
Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GV-N26SO-896I GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
This Gigabyte card even beats the GTX275 and is at a very reasonable $205.

You will be good with either of the boards you picked out. The EVGA will save you some cash if you don't need the few extras the ASUS offers.
Old October 25, 2009, 06:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

That PSU is available from Canada Computers for $110 after rebates, which is an amazing deal. Canada Computers - Power Supplies > High Performance : Corsair TX Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan. You'd save $53 over ncix, or try to price match it, but I'd just go with the cheaper store.
Old October 26, 2009, 05:00 PM
Top Prospect

Okay I think ill start purchasing my parts on thursday. Just have couple last concerns whats is a modular powersupply? i Know it has only the required connectors you need but how do I tell the one I will pick will be modular without it saying it in the name tag.

2nd: Asus p6tdeluxe vs evga x58 se vs gigabyte mobo, I don't know the gigabyte i have picked being at work all sites blocked. Give the the features each board has over each other. thx links high appreciated

3rd: I need some case recommendations other then coolmaster haf 922 933.
Old October 26, 2009, 08:06 PM
Rookie

If you are thinking the Evga and the Corsair ram combo you might want to read this forum on Corsair. EVGA X58 3X SLI and TR3X6G1600C8D - The Corsair Support Forums.
I have this in my new rig and I have the trouble that these other guys are having.
Old October 27, 2009, 11:06 AM
Top Prospect

Well ^^ thats something I didnt want hear but yeah I have noticed at random site evga board has some problems, so I think to be on the safe side ill go with asus board or the gigabyte board so can I please get recomendations please!
Old October 27, 2009, 11:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome to the Forums.

I think a decent i5 Build would be more up your alley than going with i7, namely to save yourself a little coin and get something more to what you'll be doing with it.

Do you plan to Overclock your Computer at all or leave it at stock speeds?

For Case Suggestion, I just recently build a computer in the NZXT Lexa S, and although the metal is a little thinner than I would like it, it is a very good case for Airflow. Another option would be perhaps A Thermaltake Armor MX+ Midtower. Another case that I have a lot of experience with and have enjoyed using.

My thoughts at least,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com