Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2009, 06:41 PM
Rookie

Default New build during christmas of after?

planning on building a new rig but want the cheapest price possible. (any suggestions on parts or better parts are welcome.)

AMD x3 720
500 or 640GB WD black hard drive
4GB DDR3 RAM (haven't decide brand of model)
Gigabyte MA770t or MA790XT
video card (waiting for a replacement from XFX RMA)
PSU (1 of these Corsair TX750,Antec Truepower 750, or reusing HX520 and getting a OCZ 600w to run my current pc parts)
case (reusing my Antec 900)
DVD reader

so far it seems the best and cheapest prices are from Directcanada. so my question is, is it better to buy during christmas or a bit after christmas for best price. and also, i never bought from internet e tailers before so any input about DC or NCIX shipping to ontario and what fees do i have to pay? (i heard only GST and PST is taken off)
Old October 18, 2009, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobobear View Post
planning on building a new rig but want the cheapest price possible. (any suggestions on parts or better parts are welcome.)

AMD x3 720
500 or 640GB WD black hard drive
4GB DDR3 RAM (haven't decide brand of model)
Gigabyte MA770t or MA790XT
video card (waiting for a replacement from XFX RMA)
PSU (1 of these Corsair TX750,Antec Truepower 750, or reusing HX520 and getting a OCZ 600w to run my current pc parts)
case (reusing my Antec 900)
DVD reader

so far it seems the best and cheapest prices are from Directcanada. so my question is, is it better to buy during christmas or a bit after christmas for best price. and also, i never bought from internet e tailers before so any input about DC or NCIX shipping to ontario and what fees do i have to pay? (i heard only GST and PST is taken off)
I would say after. Traditionally companies release new products (to try and drum up sales) during the slowest months of the year. All of the online e-tailers are fine. NCIX is in BC so you only pay GST, not PST. I can speak about DC because Ive never used them, I always just pricematch their prices to NCIX and order thru NCIX.

But yes, I would wait, see what new stuff comes out in late jan, early feb, and buy then!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 18, 2009, 07:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

DC is NCIX's little "warehouse" brother. They're the same owner at the very top, but DC offers zero support, zero storefronts.
NCIX will pricematch DC without question and pretty much everywhere else. Both stores are headquartered in BC so you won't pay PST as long as you're outside of BC.
If you buy anything in Canada, you're paying GST unless you have a tax exemption. Even if you buy from outside of Canada, you're going to get hit with duties and taxes which will most likely combine in value to more than GST would be alone.
Old October 18, 2009, 09:58 PM
Rookie

when you say DC has zero support does that mean if i get a dead product or a defective one then i'm out of luck? DC has the cheaper price before and after tax and shipping. NCIX shipping could add up to quite alot.
Old October 19, 2009, 10:44 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobobear View Post
when you say DC has zero support does that mean if i get a dead product or a defective one then i'm out of luck? DC has the cheaper price before and after tax and shipping. NCIX shipping could add up to quite alot.
No, you still get RMA support, but there's nobody to "help" you with your product. Like if you can't figure out how to plug something in for example.