Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2009, 01:29 AM
Rookie

Default Thermal Paste question

Hey there, I'm new to building a computer.

I have a question regarding the use of thermal paste.

I'm planning to use the thermal paste that came with my cpu between the mobo sockets and the cpu, and then again on top of the cpu cover to the cooler. was wondering if applied am I stuck with this thermal paste forever or should i get my hands on higher quality paste for later over clocking and apply that now? Or is it recommended that I use the paste that came with the cpu, especially for application between the cpu and mobo?

Later I will replace the cooler once I know more about cooling.

Thanks for reading

Caesar
Old October 11, 2009, 01:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV2010 View Post
Hey there, I'm new to building a computer.

I have a question regarding the use of thermal paste.

I'm planning to use the thermal paste that came with my cpu between the mobo sockets and the cpu, and then again on top of the cpu cover to the cooler. was wondering if applied am I stuck with this thermal paste forever or should i get my hands on higher quality paste for later over clocking and apply that now? Or is it recommended that I use the paste that came with the cpu, especially for application between the cpu and mobo?

Later I will replace the cooler once I know more about cooling.

Thanks for reading

Caesar
Ok...
1. You only apply thermal-paste between the CPU's IHS(heat-spreader) and the base of the heatsink.
2. CPU heatsinks come with preapplied thermal interface material. You don't have to "apply" anything. You just have to make sure that there aren't any films(plastic sheet, etc. that can be applied to prevent a mess) on the base of the heatsink.
3. If you aren't overclocking and/or running the computer in a fairly warm environment(ie.>26C), then the stock material is fine.
4. No, you aren't "stuck" with the supplied material. It can be used, and if/when the heatsink is removed..replaced with an aftermarket paste. You can remove it immediately, before even installing the heatsink/cpu...using rubbing alcohol(preferably 90% or higher), and installing your own paste.

Seeing how you're completely new to computer building, you might want to just stick with the stock material...to make things less messy and complicated(it's not hard/messy, but 1st build usually makes people a little nervous). GL
Old October 11, 2009, 02:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yup as Tanker said.. the stock is fine, but sooner or later you might want to switch to something better off..

You could 99% isopropyl alcohol which is found at most drug stores, or you could buy NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Silver ArctiClean 1 & 2 Thermal Surface Cleaner & Purifier 60ML Kit (2) 30ML Bottles - ACN-60ML In Canada. which lots of people use, price match off course.. I know 99% is really good, I personally tend to like this stuff better, at least for me it works better..

:)
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 11, 2009, 09:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

LOL
OLOL
LOL
Where did you get the info of putting thermal paste between the socket and CPU? worst idea ever. It will simply short the board and the CPU. There is a section on the forum somewhere about TIM application technique. Take a look at this;)

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Last edited by martin_metal_88; October 11, 2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old October 11, 2009, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Please DO NOT put Thermal Paste onto ur socket as it will guarantee a KO to ur motherboard and voiding warranty. Only put the thermal paste between the CPU and the metal heatsink!!!

-Plato
Old October 11, 2009, 02:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Lolz, whoever told you that info definately doesn't like you. Definately DO NOT put thermal past under your cpu. And yes, I would suggest using different thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 or MX-2. If you're planning on replacing the stock heatsink later anyways, you could just use the stock sink/thermal paste until you get an aftermarket heatsink and then just apply the new thermal paste then as well.
Old October 11, 2009, 02:51 PM
Rookie

Talking

Haha. Alright then.

I will be applying the Heat Sink Silicone Compound which came with my mobo, to the top of of the cpu, using methods of the TIM thread between the cpu and the base of the cooler.

Eh?

Thanks for the fast hand there guys. I'll be getting the new paste once I find and understand a satisfactory & safe cooling system.

I'm lovin it!
I will keep close attention to this guy, posted as a sticky in the builders section: Welcome to Corsair :: System Build Logs

I'll make sure to post of pic of the computer; version 1 as soon as it's complete.

Caesar

Last edited by CV2010; October 11, 2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old October 11, 2009, 03:19 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I will be applying the Heat Sink Silicone Compound which came with my mobo, to the top of of the cpu, using methods of the TIM thread between the cpu and the base of the cooler.

Eh?
What CPU and heatsink will you be using? Did you purchase the CPU new and is it a retail boxed chip?

Motherboards do not come with TIM. If the CPU is new and a retail box version, it will come with a stock cooler that has pre-applied TIM, so you don't need to apply anything; just stick the CPU in the board, mount the cooler, and you're done.

If, on the other hand, you purchased a used CPU, or an OEM unboxed chip, you will need to have your own heatsink, and depending on what you get you may need to apply your own TIM or the heatsink may come with it pre-applied. Without more information regarding the specific parts you're using, I can't really say anything more definite than that.
Old October 12, 2009, 12:32 AM
Rookie

Ahhh, ok!

I bought the i7 920 boxed from NCIX, it came with it's cooler,
and the mobo is boxed too.

I applied the thermal paste a few hours ago, I'm about to start up and go into boot!??

Anything I should know or do?

A small amount of thermal paste cant over ulate it?
The type is "Heat Sink Silicone Compound
Silmore Taiwan..... must have come with something, I think the mobo, had to apply with the the silent pipe cooler!

Thanks!

Last edited by CV2010; October 12, 2009 at 12:36 AM. Reason: specifics on Thermal Paste
Old October 12, 2009, 01:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Ahhh, ok!

I bought the i7 920 boxed from NCIX, it came with it's cooler,
and the mobo is boxed too.

I applied the thermal paste a few hours ago, I'm about to start up and go into boot!??

Anything I should know or do?

A small amount of thermal paste cant over ulate it?
The type is "Heat Sink Silicone Compound
Silmore Taiwan..... must have come with something, I think the mobo, had to apply with the the silent pipe cooler!

Thanks!

Unless you plan to do any overclocking stock paste on the stock cooler is fine.

Otherwise invest in some GOOD stuff.