Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9, 2009, 10:37 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

wireless router, possible web server, folding, vmware

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

400-600

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

corsair tx-650
dvd burner
500gb hdd
9600GSO video card

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

read the first page but came back nothing, needs is somewhat different(read below)

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

default for 24/7

8. WHEN do you plan to build it? Now

Recently joined Folding and noticed folding on my main rig is not the best idea(only dual core, and it's making some weird sound). My DIR-655 just crapped out recently and I think I want to grab a more powerful solution.... So incoming the brilliant mind of getting another rig, This is what I am looking for this rig:

Acting as wireless router: (have a dlink pci that can work as master mode/ap)

Linux front end: I had experience with windows server as router before and tbh I don't like their limitation in RRAS

vmware capable(meaning AMD-V or Intel VT-x): using it to practice for microsoft certs, and dropping an SMP client when not needed

GPU folding: my friend comfirmed he has a 8800 that wanted to part and I am gonna stick it to my other rig leaving an extra 9600GSO, but that should not be an issue since
all board have PCI-e

matx: hardest one out of all... I bought a damm p180 mini @ cc when I was at toronto last boxing day... didn't know it is matx only. Over my experience of 2 matx board they all died/decommission within 2 year of usage, don't know if it's bad luck since I never OC it... only using it for 24/7

Power effiency: 24/7 rig I would prefer to look at lower power consumption cpu... as much as my budget can allow me to get i5 I am thinking going A x4 P x3 or 8400

Any suggestion what should I do? planned budget is 500 dollar unless there is a good reason to go over

Last edited by belinik; October 9, 2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old October 9, 2009, 02:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Why not an x2 Athlon? low power consumption .. check the reviews , use less than the e8400.
And get some cheap AM2+ board , like NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 AMD740G mATX AM2+/AM3 1PCI-EX 2PCI SATA2 RAID VGA Sound GLAN DVI Motherboard - GA-MA74GM-S2 In Canada.
And pair it with AMD Athlon II X2 240 Dual Core Processor Socket AM3 2.8GHZ 2MB Cache 65W Retail Box - DirectCanada
$140 ...