Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7, 2009, 12:01 PM
MVP

Default New system for a friend, advice please

PLEASE when POST threads asking for input on system builds tell us...

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
- Mild-moderate gaming, long term use (his current system he's had for the past 2 years already)

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread.
- His budget is around $1500- no monitors/GPU needed
3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
-Canada, prefrence on NCIX (I'm a PP) and mod gear from Performance-PCs

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
-He's no Fanboy, But I'm personally more Intel, nVidia, and WD fan

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
-Current parts that are staying: XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog
6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
-Been doing research for the past like 4 months
7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
-Mostly Stock clocks
8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
-Plan is to start ordering parts friday

My current Partslist for the new computer are
Processor: Intel Core i5 860
CPU cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212
Ram: G.skill ripjaws (G.SKILL F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-10666 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 Core I5 Memory Kit)
Motherboard: eVGA P55 FTW
PSU: Corsair TX/HX 750W
HDD: WD Black 640GB
Case: HAF 932
GPU: Current XFX 8800GT
He likes the design of the HAF 932- so that's one decided thing, I like the looks and what the performance of the evga P55FTW has had so far
rest of it he's left to me to figure out, I'm pretty confident with this setup, anyone have anything they'd change (the RAM is the only thing I'm REALLY not sure about)
Old October 7, 2009, 01:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Seems all good. The only point I am talking about is the EVGA board, 260 is pretty expensive for a P55, if you want to go this price go with Gigabyes, same price and more thing like sata port etc...I think this board is expensive only because it's branded EVGA. For the reste, I sugest the HX 750 if you can fix yourself. Powerfull and clean in a big and great case named Haf932:)

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 7, 2009, 09:44 PM
MVP

ok...MY main reasons for my suggestion of the eVGA
1) the good warranty
2) the very solid parts choices of the board itself
3) very well thought out design
4) he likes the look of the board, and so do I
that...and that full system (as it stands right now) is about 1250ish (with the TX750 instead of HX750) and he honestly doesn't mind spending the money if he's getting something absolutely solid, that..and we both don't see him using any more than 3 SATA devices in the near/distant future, even the 640GB drive would actually be overkill for him (his current system has a 250GB that has over 70% free space still)