Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old October 2, 2009, 09:56 AM
Top Prospect
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: mtl
Posts: 106
Default Yet antoher upgrade build (AMD/Intel?)

I am noticing I have pushed my rig to the limit, and from the introduction of new cpu I've seen some pricing drop and begin to consider going for an upgrade. However I can't really tell will it be an upgrade for me(silly me who swapped my Q6600 to E8400 thinking it will be an upgrade).

I do heavy multi tab browsing(often goes up to 60 tabs), serving file in the network. Running multiple games at the same time(eve online, wow, aion, wc3) and have video/music playing

Current Rig
E8400(stock speed, I can never really get my hands on OC-ing even with my G0 6600)
xigmatek HDT with backplate
8gb gskill 8500
4870 1gb
4 hdd(split on drive duty)

I think my current plan is to leave dualcore and go back to quad core, I am not sure if the 4870 is also the part of bottleneck. But atm I think a reasonable upgrade path for now is CPU ram and mobo(and wait til the new gpu war is slightly settled)

Currently running the budget of 600+-200, which should land me in the bracket of i5, a popular option. But I got a few question about it.

-VS i7: I heard i5 is not really future proof despite it is a newer socket, it is used to close the gap from 775 and 1366 in price. would I be expecting performance difference? I know it will be like 200+ dollar more, but I am factoring the triple channel ram=dual channel ddr3 will not likely be used in the future.

-VS AMD 955/965: It seems to be a very popular choice in this forum, I've heard it is neck to neck in gaming with the 920's and fall short on performance, but heck the cost of this will be way cheaper.... how does this fare with 6600 / i5? Might go this path if i5 performance is minimal and wait for i7 to drop(since I can use ddr2's)

-VS 9500: cheapest route(only need to buy CPU, can even use the current HSF!) My concern is it does not improve from my current processor(name marketing makes me a very clueless person). Assuming I can sell this for like ~110 dollar the upgrade will really cost me... little!

If you were me.. what would you recommend? Thanks!

Last edited by belinik; October 2, 2009 at 10:02 AM.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newest Build/Upgrade Wall86 New Builds 3 July 20, 2009 12:03 PM
Build for friend AMD or Intel Balfrat New Builds 4 January 23, 2009 08:08 PM
Boxing Day Build/Upgrade Hail Ceasar New Builds 8 January 1, 2009 09:19 PM
AMD vs. Intel Processor's? Hail Ceasar CPU's and Motherboards 16 November 3, 2008 11:14 AM
Best Intel / AMD budget motherboard for .... Raptor-G CPU's and Motherboards 8 October 27, 2008 04:14 AM