Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2009, 10:10 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Yet Another Build Question

Hey all. Simple and sweet. Here are the components I will be putting together when Win 7 ships.

AMD Phemon II 955 BE (will OC it, but I won't Over Volt it)
MSI 790GX-G65 Motherboard
620 Gig WD Caviar Black Hard Drive
4 Gigs Corsair DDR3 1333 Ram
Optical Drives, etc.

CPU Cooling is currently planned as Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7. However, I read on a forum (yes, just the one) that the Freezer Pro 7 and the MSI Mobo don't go together well. I have not been able to confirm this (short of trying it, but I don't want to open the cooler's box if I know it won't fit).

That opens up the possibility of a Corsair H50 now that the AM3 bracket kit is available.

I am of the opinion that the Fan will actualy cool better than the H50. As well, I am not crazy about exhausting hot air into the case either. That said, I have a CM690 case, so I can do quite a bit with fans to exhaust air from the case.

Finally, I am waiting for the ATI 5850s to become available, however I am not above simply buying a 5870 is the 5850s are too scarce come build time.

So there you have it. What I need is help on...

1- Can anyone confirm compatibilty issues with the MSI 790GX-G65 and the Freezer Pro 7 Rev.2 or can anyone dismiss the issue?

2- Has anyone tried mounting the H50 Rad OUTSIDE the case, or in another spot that would decrease the potential for extra hot cases?

3- Does anyone have any ideas on what an optimal case fan configuration would be

a) if I have the Freezer Pro 7 installed
b) if I go with a Corsair H50 (installed as per instructions)
c) either "a" or "b" knowing I will have a 58x0 in my CM690?

Also, I am not above buying a few 140mm fans (instead of 120mm) for my CM690 to increase airflow and reduce noise a bit.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who wants to give their opinions.

Cheers!
Kinda_Unhappy_But_Still_Excited_About_Build_Canuck (Leafs lost to the Habs in OT)
Old October 1, 2009, 10:37 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Arctic Cooling
Doesn't list AM2/3 as supported sockets. Arctic cooling's AMD equivalent is the Freezer 64. Someone correct me if I am wrong, though.
Old October 2, 2009, 06:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

In order to mount the H50 outside your case you would need to pull it apart (thus voiding any warranty).
My honest suggestion would be to merely reverse the Fan direction so it exausts to the outside (I have never been a fan of how Corsair wants you to use it).

I think all in all its a good build you have there.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 2, 2009, 06:35 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone63 View Post
Arctic Cooling
Doesn't list AM2/3 as supported sockets. Arctic cooling's AMD equivalent is the Freezer 64. Someone correct me if I am wrong, though.
It is AM2+ and AM3 compatible. That one I had checked before I bought it. As well, it says directly on the packaging that the cooler is AM3 compatible.

That's why, when I read in another forum that the Freezer Pro7 did not play nice with the motherboard I have, I got to worrying and thought I'd ask.

As for mounting the H50. Here are two images that show standard mounting as per instructions. One's just some guy's pic and the other is Corsair's demo Rig from their video.

http://users.telenet.be/OAP2/Corsair...0installed.jpg

http://forum.amtech.com.vn/attachmen...0-corsair2.jpg

Welcome to Corsair :: H50 Product Information

So, here's what the little mouse in my head got to thinking...

If what limits the ability to mount the Rad on the outside of the case is the fact it's a closed loop system that you would not want to disassemble (for many reasons), what would prevent me from cutting out the grille on the back of the PC and then passing the cooling block through the hole and then mounting the fan and rad on the outside of the case?

From the images, it would seem that the hoses should be long enough to accomodate such an install would it not?

Brainstorming_Canuck
Old October 2, 2009, 06:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Nothing really would stop you from cutting holes to make the block go through. It all depends on what you want to do really. Its your computer and Case after all.
But I personally feel that just reversing the direction of the fan would suffice for me.
Again, it really depends on you.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 2, 2009, 07:19 AM
Allstar
F@H

I'd recommend the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ over that heatsink. I have used both and the Hyper is definitely a better heatsink to work with, and provides better temperatures at a similar price point. The Hyper 212+ can also be mounted in any direction on AM2/3.

If you decide to get the H50, you can just mount it as exhaust on the rear of the case and it wont dump any of the heat back into the case. It will likely beat most air coolers, but it doesn't offer the upgradability of a custom liquid cooling system (such as easily adding new blocks or radiators).
Old October 2, 2009, 10:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRox View Post
I'd recommend the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ over that heatsink. I have used both and the Hyper is definitely a better heatsink to work with, and provides better temperatures at a similar price point. The Hyper 212+ can also be mounted in any direction on AM2/3.

I concur......
Old October 2, 2009, 09:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well,

I hunted around for a 212+ and looked at the specs, the style and the price and I did not fall in love with it. *Funny how we can fall in love with copper and alluminum eh?* Combine that with the fact that I could not find it in stock at my usual parts stores, that eliminated it from consideration. However, thanks for the suggestion!

I did some more research on the Freezer Pro 7 and confirmed that it's a very capable cooler but then, I discovered something very disconcerting. I pulled out my mobo, and looked at the way it lined up with the cooler and much to my chagrin, the Freezer Pro7 would have to be aligned to point upwards.

Now, I know for many people this is not an issue, but to me, it's just not right. My current x2 3800 has a AC 64 on it and it blows towards the rear exhaust and looks great. I find that a cooler that is mounted to face upwards is not esthetically pleasing. So, it's going up on eBay.ca or perhaps even put it up for sale here. But that's another thread. ;)

So, I went and ordered the Corsair H50. I like the look, and its performance and I got it for a good price. I ordered the Intel socket version from DirectCanada for 15$ less than the AMD version, but then ordered the AM3 bracket from Corsair at no charge except 5$ for shipping. So that way, I saved another 10$ and as Geddy Lee put it on the Great White North album: "Ten bucks is ten bucks eh."

Furthermore, my idea to run it outside of the case using some cutters just may work. However, if I just install it as per instructions, I can easily exhaust the warm air out of my CM690 because there are two 120mm fans in the top of case, and I can also mount 1, if not 2 140mm fans in the side panel.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/uplo...jpg?1340584292

If you look at that pic, the top fan would make an excellent H50 heat exhaust I think, combined with the two top fans as exhaust.

This leads me to the question about the bottom fan. Knowing I will have either a 5850 or a 5870 in the case, should I...

a) leave the bottom side panel fan opening simply empty
b) cover the bottom side panel fan opening with plexy to seal it
c) place a 120mm or 140mm fan as an intake there
d) place a 120mm or 140mm fan as an exhaust there

The radiator mounted fan aside, the other fans in the case will be intakes. One in the bottom of the case and one in the front of the case.

Also, knowing that the H50 pulls air into the case and it warms passing the radiator, would it be a great benefit to replace the two 120mm fans at the top of the case with two 140mm fans? Would that exhaust more air while making it a bit quieter?

Cheers!
Late_Night_Posting_Canuck :)
Old October 3, 2009, 08:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
In order to mount the H50 outside your case you would need to pull it apart (thus voiding any warranty).
My honest suggestion would be to merely reverse the Fan direction so it exausts to the outside (I have never been a fan of how Corsair wants you to use it).

I think all in all its a good build you have there.

Regards,
ST

He is right. I try with mine and it is pretty hard to disassemble. I would suggest to reverse the Fan, It's actually what I do with mine. Sucking the cold air from the kama bay and front fan in the case and blowing it out over the VGA heat:) that's about the best.

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 21, 2009, 06:54 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Ok. Rig is assembled, fans are set up, wires are tidy (as tidy as a CM 690 will permit).

Final question:

I have ordered Window 7 - 64bit and will be installing it on a my WD Caviar Black 640 GB hard drive. Should I just use one big partition or break up the drive into a few partitions? If so, about how big of a partition would be ideal for Windows7?

Cheers!
Nearing_Readiness_Canuck :)