Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2009, 02:57 AM
Rookie

Talking Family Guy New Build

After the frustration of being ripped off and being sold 5 yr old stock from retail outlets I have come to the realization that building my own PC could be a very rewarding option. And so I am reaching out to the tech community for your help.

I am looking to build a PC for each of my four children and myself, 5 in total. I have a budget of up to $600 per unit. What I am asking for is your help choosing parts. Using the following website www.centrecom.com.au, could you please suggest which compatible parts I should buy.

Firstly I should mention that I am interested in AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 550 3.1GHz 7MB Cache (AM3/ AM2+/ AM2*) - Black Edition, so any suggestions you could advise to go along with this processor would be great.

My children play online MMORPG's like WoW and Aion. We use Sonic foundry music software and Ulead video studio plus for home video editing, but nothing professional, just family fun use.

We live in Melbourne Australia and the website above represents the average prices available in this country. And after comparing their prices to the big retail outlets I know I'll be saving alot of money and getting better quality by building my own PC with your help.

I know it's a bit of a big ask for you to look into this for me, but you have no idea how appreciative I will be.

Thanks and I look forward to your suggestions.
Old September 26, 2009, 06:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I did the best I could. The prices there are pretty high. And do not include operation system(You could surely look at getting a subscription at Technet, but I do not know much about it, someone else could surely help you). You do not have monitors, mouse or keyboards either. I also lowered from the Phenom II X2 550 to the 545 for 20$ cheaper, if you don't overclock, they will perform almost the same.

I tried to go as cheap as possible on the PSU(included with the Antec case), without going too cheap otherwise you'd have some problems.

I did not include a discrete graphic card for budget purpose. The integrated GPU should be enough to play Aion, but not enough to meet recommended settings. Playing Wow wouldn't be a problem.

Anyway here are my suggestions.

AMD Phenom II X2 545 119.90
Gigabyte GA-M85M-US2H 87.00
Antec NSK 4480-II 113.30
Seagate barracuda 320gb 57.00
Corsair DDR2 2x2gb 97.90
Samsung DVD writer
Total 543.10
Old September 26, 2009, 06:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome to HWC at first, +1 to Kilauea. For budget this is a pretty good build. You can change the CPU to the 550 if wanted.

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 26, 2009, 06:43 AM
Rookie

Default WoW thanks heaps

Thankyou so much for the recommendations. Monitors and accessories aren't a problem I am happy to recycle what we have available and what I can pick up on the cheap. It was just the PC I need to put together. The build would suit our needs, as I mentioned we are not Hardcore gamers or anything just for family fun only. I'll leave the really techy stuff to my kids when they get old enough to create billion $$ software (lol). But the advice is invaluable and gives me a great insight as to what I should be aiming for, can't thankyou enough.

Alohanui, thanks again.
Old September 26, 2009, 06:53 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Damn, parts aren't cheap down under... Kilauea did a good job; what I would suggest now is to head to your closest Computer Hardware store with his list, show them the prices and specify you want 5 of them - and that you are expecting better pricing.

Now, here's something to think about: remove all DVD writers (68$ AUS!) from all builds and replace them with a single external drive like this one: Centre Com Online. Now that would allow you to have a GPU added to the builds, like this one: Centre Com Online.

Check it out.
Old September 26, 2009, 06:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome aboard kinghaka. Forgive me for saying this, but judging by the prices, it looks like you're getting bent over down under. Good luck with your builds. Are you and the family going to put together an assembly line?

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old September 26, 2009, 07:06 AM
Rookie

Default You can say that again.

I went to a swap meet today and some of the prices there where more expensive than the online deals. So not competitive. Rest assured i'll do some shopping around and let you know how I go.

Oh and external drive? Great idea! Never thought o that. Definately consider that option.

Thanks again.
Old September 26, 2009, 07:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghaka View Post
After the frustration of being ripped off and being sold 5 yr old stock from retail outlets I have come to the realization that building my own PC could be a very rewarding option.
Here are my pics:

AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 550 3.1GHz 7MB Cache (AM3/ AM2+/ AM2*) - Black Edition $133.00
Asus M3A76-CM AMD Mainboard - 4x DDR2 / 6x Sata Raid / 1x IDE / Gigabit Lan / Onboard VGA/DVI / AM2+ $75.90
Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM 16MB SATA 3Gbs $57.00
Samsung SH-S223B SATA DVD Re-Writer (22x - Black) $68.00
Corsair DDR2 4GB PC-6400/800 (2x XMS2 2GB) TWIN2X4096-6400C5 Ram $97.90
Cooler Master Elite 310 - Black/Blue ATX Tower Case (420W) $86.90

Sub-Total: $518.70
Old September 26, 2009, 07:11 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Damn, parts aren't cheap down under... Kilauea did a good job; what I would suggest now is to head to your closest Computer Hardware store with his list, show them the prices and specify you want 5 of them - and that you are expecting better pricing.

Now, here's something to think about: remove all DVD writers (68$ AUS!) from all builds and replace them with a single external drive like this one: Centre Com Online. Now that would allow you to have a GPU added to the builds, like this one: Centre Com Online.

Check it out.
Quick question. If I opt for the GPU will I need to upgrade the PSU? If so, what would you suggest?

Cheers.
Old September 26, 2009, 07:14 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlarry View Post
Welcome aboard kinghaka. Forgive me for saying this, but judging by the prices, it looks like you're getting bent over down under. Good luck with your builds. Are you and the family going to put together an assembly line?

Thought about an assembly line however, unlike our asian counterparts, my children are very westernized and are demanding Union-ized work rates PLUS dental and leave! There goes the 20 rupees p/hr out the window

Tags
newb build budget pc